News Forum - Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions

Thaiger

Another CCSA meeting this week as Thailand’s Covid overlords determine the next stage of the two-year long strategy to cope with the pandemic. Will they allow bars and nightlife to re-open? Will they reduce the testing requirements for overseas arrivals? Will they get rid of the current 5th day test and stay in an SHA+ hotel? At least in this week’s lead up there is a bit more “chatter” from some of the leading voices in Thai government and health circles. This week the public health minister and deputy PM Anutin Charnvirakul met with the Malaysia’s AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes, […]

The story Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 minutes ago, iflying said:

I am travelling to Thailand in April. So shoud I wait to apply Thailand Pass. The second test might not be required. 

I would wait until early March. If that (useless) second test goes in March and it looks like it might (and really should) happen, as usual it will be announced officially the last day of February.

• Like 1

Coincidence..? Maybe..? But since the introduction of the '2-stage' PCR testing/hotel stays there has been no assuring announcements from the TaT about rising/expected 100's of thousands of expected tourists that are so eager to come for the temples, waterfalls, and beaches..?

Maybe they've finally realised the present incoming tourist figures are soooo poor, it's best just to keep their mouths firmly closed..?

• Like 1

now, end all restrictions, as other countries,
( mask, vaccine proof, tracing app, business lockdown, distance, gather and travel
for, public and private, and in-land and international, areas )
because it works. daily enjoy without lacks, guilts and fears. :)

Edited by think-and-ask

at end of news text, is written,
ca. 18 000 new infections, and 13 000 probable cases, ( anti-gen test ).
1. 13 k of 18 k ? this is more probably for 2 years. 2. and 29 died,
covid "related. have positive test after car accident, and died soon,
or at least, be old, have serious cancer, then got teste, and here we go ? " 

Edited by think-and-ask

Its takes quite a paperwork to come to Thailand, and if someone is not fluent in English , he wont be able to do it.

You need a special covid insurance with a Thai insurance company, you need to book tests online, you need to pay for an SHA hotel, including transport from the airport, you need certificate from all of these , then you must register for the Thailand Pass where you have to upload all these documents.

So, you are either fluent in English or you are a package tourist and your travel agency takes care all of this pain in the ass paperwork.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iflying said:

I am travelling to Thailand in April. So shoud I wait to apply Thailand Pass. The second test might not be required. 

Good luck I canceled my April tickets and rebooked for Philippines 🇵🇭 

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, iflying said:

When you consider the cost of a PCR test, I don't think I'd hold off on applying. Better to get it done now and have some sense of surety about getting there. The Thailand Pass systems is cumbersome, so I'd get into it now, if I were you.

1 hour ago, Ksmui said:

Good luck I canceled my April tickets and rebooked for Philippines

Yes you and many others cancelled because of the rules and constant uncertainty.  That should come as no surprise to Thailand but apparently it does. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iflying said:

I would start getting your paperwork  together but book a day 5 hotel with a refundable  option which is what I've done. I suspect day 5 will be ended soon but if refundable  it doesnt matter and takes the stress out of whether to book or wait. 

• Like 1

I applied for the Pass on a Sunday evening and it was in my e-mail box next midday. Yes I had a struggle finding a hotel that did the 5th day seperately, especially as they were not showing up on Agoda, then I tried through a web listing for 5th day and yet again got referred Agoda site and no 5th day, luckily another tourist recommended me a direct link to an International hotel which charged for standard room and test only. Also the insurance, in their QA stated non medical costs were covered for Asymptomatic but when I bought in, the policy exempted non medical! I have to travel after 1st day test result; then have to travel back to (Bangkok) Krung Thep Maha Nakhon for the 5th day test isolation!!

With covid cases increasing it doesn't make sense for Thailand to back peddle on keeping control of covid. Everything they try to loosen up things explode. I how they stay cautious for the sake of the Thai people. 

Tourism won't return anytime soon. Tourism is fueled by people who have extra money and want a good time. Covid has effected whole economies especially people's budgets to travel. 

When the Chinese are free to travel it will be a different story. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions

"forced" ?

By whom?

Probably the most absurd of a seemingly never-ending series of poorly chosen headlines.

Restrictions are "re-considered" constantly as a matter of routine, not because Bill Barnett and his fellow hoteliers complain they're losing money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

"forced" ?

By whom?

Probably the most absurd of a seemingly never-ending series of poorly chosen headlines.

Restrictions are "re-considered" constantly as a matter of routine, not because Bill Barnett and his fellow hoteliers complain they're losing money.

Why?

Factors do force governments to change and implement policy all the time

There are many things governments wouldn't change but mitigating factors force them to do so

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

I would start getting your paperwork  together but book a day 5 hotel with a refundable  option which is what I've done. I suspect day 5 will be ended soon but if refundable  it doesnt matter and takes the stress out of whether to book or wait. 

Do you mind telling us which 5 day was refundable?

I haven't looked too hard but figured they were all non refundable 

So been holding off booking my wife's for a couple more weeks

19 hours ago, iflying said:

I have the same strategy. Have booked a SHA+ hotel on Phuket for the whole duration, wasn't expensive, probably because it's low season. No direct flights from Zürich to Phuket end April, need to transit via Krung Thep Maha Nakon (formerly known as Bangkok 😎) which today would force me to stay one day in BKK. However, I am confident that in two months from now this requirement will be gone, so I haven't made any arrangements to stay in BKK. No risk, no fun.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

When you consider the cost of a PCR test, I don't think I'd hold off on applying. Better to get it done now and have some sense of surety about getting there. The Thailand Pass systems is cumbersome, so I'd get into it now, if I were you.

I would wait applying for a Thai Pass for the time being. Chances are, inevitably Thailand will have to relax the entry regime. Just when is unknown. Relax, just wait and see.

2 hours ago, Fundok said:

I have the same strategy. Have booked a SHA+ hotel on Phuket for the whole duration, wasn't expensive, probably because it's low season. No direct flights from Zürich to Phuket end April, need to transit via Krung Thep Maha Nakon (formerly known as Bangkok 😎) which today would force me to stay one day in BKK. However, I am confident that in two months from now this requirement will be gone, so I haven't made any arrangements to stay in BKK. No risk, no fun.

Are you now allowed to transit through BKK to Phuket?

You weren't until very recently 

20 hours ago, Somchai said:

Its takes quite a paperwork to come to Thailand, and if someone is not fluent in English , he wont be able to do it.

You need a special covid insurance with a Thai insurance company, you need to book tests online, you need to pay for an SHA hotel, including transport from the airport, you need certificate from all of these , then you must register for the Thailand Pass where you have to upload all these documents.

So, you are either fluent in English or you are a package tourist and your travel agency takes care all of this pain in the ass paperwork.

You make an interesting point about English. It’s typical Thai mentality towards foreigners. I’m sure most Thais think the word “English” is the name given to the language spoken by all “Farang”. It wouldn’t enter their head to translate it to other popular languages such as Hindi, Spanish, or French No point having it in Mandarin either as they aren’t coming.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Do you mind telling us which 5 day was refundable?

Plenty on Agoda or Booking.com. I stayed at a hotel close to Suvarnabhumi for my day 1 test & go in Jan. Gate 43 was the name of the hotel. They are offering day 1 and day 5 packages for around £90 including transfer from airport. They have free cancellation up until a few days before arrival date. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Plenty on Agoda or Booking.com. I stayed at a hotel close to Suvarnabhumi for my day 1 test & go in Jan. Gate 43 was the name of the hotel. They are offering day 1 and day 5 packages for around £90 including transfer from airport. They have free cancellation up until a few days before arrival date. 

I will likely book a 5 day package If I still need to

But for my wife, who will go to her house after Day 1

I will look into a day 5 free cancel

Thanks 

I fail to see the purpose and value of the Thailand pass, when the documents required to aquire the pass, such as the covid vaccination passport, need to be presented and scrutinised on arrival in Thailand! What purpose does it serve? Totally ridiculous waste of time and money. Either keep the pass and do away with all pass associated document checks on arrival, or do away with the pass and have the documents verified on arrival.

I've been trying to go to Lao to see my Lao family but have been stymied by 1st their 14 day lockup, lock me up in a hotel room for 2 weeks and I'll end up in real jail, and getting back in Thailand. Now that Lao has dropped the jail time to one test and up to 48 hrs. for test result I can do. My biggest problem now is getting back into Thailand. The way this "government" has acted/reacted I don't want to get trapped in Lao. I have extension of stay coming up and a lock down again would really make life difficult. Contrary to popular belief the land border is open for proper visa holders, getting into Lao is no problem, still hoops to jump through, but coming back I have heard that test and go, stop, test and maybe go is not in effect coming over the bridge, just for fly in. Coming back over the bridge is jail/hotel for 7 days in Nong Khai. This relates to Nong Khai/Vientiane. I live in Udon, have for some 12 years. Can anybody clarify?