News Forum - Officials discuss ending second Covid-19 test requirement for international arrivals

Thaiger

Wanting to ease travel procedures, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has asked the Department of Disease control to consider getting rid of the second Covid-19 test requirement for international arrivals. The test is taken five days after arriving in Thailand. This news comes after the airline company AirAsia claimed that many tourists are discouraged from coming to Thailand because of travel procedures. Anutin is now working to balance recovering the economy, and people’s safety. Anutin said to end the second test requirement, there must be increased preventative steps, such as speeding up vaccines. He said hospital beds and medicals supplies […]

The story Officials discuss ending second Covid-19 test requirement for international arrivals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Health budget getting tighter for Anut, probably same for all govt agencies, and Pnut starting to panic now, no rush of millionaires, no tourists, no baht.

Real bugga this reality stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, palooka said:

Health budget getting tighter for Anut, probably same for all govt agencies, and Pnut starting to panic now, no rush of millionaires, no tourists, no baht.

Real bugga this reality stuff.

Correct. I think it’s what’s called an Inconvenient Truth.  

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

getting rid of the second Covid-19 test requirement for international arrivals.

It's not enough to attract tourists, they'll have to scrap the day1 pcr+hotel too. ATK on arrival is acceptable though.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

It's not enough to attract tourists, they'll have to scrap the day1 pcr+hotel too. ATK on arrival is acceptable though.

Yes I agree. We shouldn’t be fooled by the government tactics here. Introduce even more stringent requirements for a month and get everyone complaining. Then remove it and make people think you really do listen to them and you are working ever so hard to revive the economy. People feel a sense of relief and optimism and your popularity rating increases. In reality, you have bought yourself another month or two of power and done literally nothing worthwhile. It’s straight out of Dictatorship 101 training. 

I read in the BKK Post today that while Anutin looks like he’s going to support removal of day 5 testing, he also believes day 1 requirements will be required until Covid is declared endemic. Previously, that was said to be “by the end of the year”. Does this mean Day 1 requirements will be in place until November or December? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

...and the mask outdoors. While it is gone pratically everywhere in Europe, even indoors in some countries, apart a few fanatics, I am convinced that most europeans are not really keen to go on holiday in a country where they have to put it back all day long as soon as they get out of their hotel / resort room. Well and it is useless after all!

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Disagree - any testing on arrival means quarantine if positive - unacceptable.  When they drop all testing on arrival - then and only then, will tourists and visitors return in the numbers they need to revive the economy. We will certainly not be travelling there to visit family and friends with the ever present threat of a 10-14 quarantine (and all the additional costs) for one or both of us looming over our heads. 

Happy to have proof of vaccinations and boosters, plus accident and Covid insurance coverage if get sick, and an ATK test up to 72 hours prior to departure, but nothing more than that.  If we are too big a risk for Thailand to accept for health reasons, when in fact the likelihood is that we would catch Covid on the trip over rather than take it there, then Thailand can wait until we are not such a big risk. 

Thailand is not testing every single Thai person travelling on a domestic holiday to places like Phuket, and they are not imposing them with the same threat of enforced quarantine if they test positive.  Thailand's current testing and quarantining impositions on international tourists (but not domestic tourtists to the same locations) is not valid or reasonable anymore. Just like in Indonesia - it has been turned into yet another tourist scam and 'vested interests' are refusing to back down - so far.

As I have said for months - Dont Travel to Thailand Now.  Only when tourists numbers do not increase massively (as they have so far not done) will the Thai authorities decide to over-rule the vested interests and drop all the testing and quarantining after arrival.  It is not about health - it is about international tourist money - and only when they are not getting enough international tourist money will they stop testing and quarantining people.  But be careful when they do drop it - be prepared just in case they suddenly bring it back again - just like Test and Go and so many other things in Thailand that come and go and come and go again - based on whatever 'agenda' has the limelight that week. 

• Like 9

A distinction without a difference. Doesn’t matter what type of test they use if it will lead to being quarantined. A second test of either type is a non-starter. Even a first test will decrease numbers. 

• Like 2

I kept on saying over and over again, I guessed at least 100 times now, it's all about corruption in Thailand and they scammed and ripping off incoming tourists to false positive, instead of sending them to the AQ Hotel of their choice, they are force to go to the hospital and have to pay upfront of at least B100K for quarantine. Not just that they will tell you that your COVID-19 insurance not cover and will not get their money back because Thailand wants to recoup the lost money for 2 years so this is their solution. So for now, Avoid Thailand for now, unless they get rid off that Day 1 and Day 5 PCR test on quarantine

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

most, positive tested, in world, since corona started,
were not sick, weeks before and after testing.
so, still do test, shows how much govern-ment(al) cares.
daily enjoy without lacks, guilts and fears. :)

Edited by think-and-ask

1 hour ago, Manu said:

...and the mask outdoors. While it is gone pratically everywhere in Europe, even indoors in some countries, apart a few fanatics, I am convinced that most europeans are not really keen to go on holiday in a country where they have to put it back all day long as soon as they get out of their hotel / resort room. Well and it is useless after all!

Hi Manu

when did you become an expert on mask wearing?

And where did you get that false information that masks are useless anyway ?

Fox News?

🤔😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ace035 said:

I kept on saying over and over again, I guessed at least 100 times now, it's all about corruption in Thailand and they scammed and ripping off incoming tourists to false positive, instead of sending them to the AQ Hotel of their choice, they are force to go to the hospital and have to pay upfront of at least B100K for quarantine. Not just that they will tell you that your COVID-19 insurance not cover and will not get their money back because Thailand wants to recoup the lost money for 2 years so this is their solution. So for now, Avoid Thailand for now, unless they get rid off that Day 1 and Day 5 PCR test on quarantine

I agree with what you said, but I must push back and clarify some parts.  Yes it is wrong, and yes there are scammers taking advantage of it - but it was not a planned thing by all of the Thai hotels and hospitals and authorities. 

I learned a long time ago that Thais are 'natural' scammers - but they do it to everyone - especially other Thais. In Thailand it is not such a bad thing to get away with business practices that in the West are illegal and strongly cracked down upon.  It was pointed out to me by a experienced Expat a long time ago, that Thais are always scamming other Thais - so why should they not also scam expats and tourists too? When I asked my Thai wife about that, she just smiled. After that, I became more and more aware that it is just a normal practice - Thais will get away with whatever they can get away with to get money off others or the Govt - within reason and not other family members (usually). 

Yes the test and go is a big scam - but that is because many Thais have been taking advantage of it - it was not setup to be that way - but it was badly setup and Thais can see opportunity like that straight away.  Do you remember that first 'domestic tourist bonus scheme' the Junta started? The Thais relentlessly scammed it for massive amounts of money (some I know) - most of which was never recovered - a few got caught and fined/jailed (mainly to save some face) - but the only solution was to scrap the whole scheme because it was too easy to scam. The latest domestic tourism schemes have not been very popular or successful - too hard to scam 😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I agree with what you said, but I must push back and clarify some parts.  Yes it is wrong, and yes there are scammers taking advantage of it - but it was not a planned thing by all of the Thai hotels and hospitals and authorities. 

I learned a long time ago that Thais are 'natural' scammers - but they do it to everyone - especially other Thais. In Thailand it is not such a bad thing to get away with business practices that in the West are illegal and strongly cracked down upon.  It was pointed out to me by a experienced Expat a long time ago, that Thais are always scamming other Thais - so why should they not also scam expats and tourists too? When I asked my Thai wife about that, she just smiled. After that, I became more and more aware that it is just a normal practice - Thais will get away with whatever they can get away with to get money off others or the Govt - within reason and not other family members (usually). 

Yes the test and go is a big scam - but that is because many Thais have been taking advantage of it - it was not setup to be that way - but it was badly setup and Thais can see opportunity like that straight away.  Do you remember that first 'domestic tourist bonus scheme' the Junta started? The Thais relentlessly scammed it for massive amounts of money (some I know) - most of which was never recovered - a few got caught and fined/jailed (mainly to save some face) - but the only solution was to scrap the whole scheme because it was too easy to scam. The latest domestic tourism schemes have not been very popular or successful - too hard to scam 😁

*Name removed* seems to think it's all the fault of the in coming traveller- test positive means you are positive, get stuffed with a policy which does not pay up, your fault for not reading the small print. Get screwed with an enormous hotel bill for nothing pay up and don't make a fuss! The Thaiger should be calling out this quarantine nonsense, not supporting it

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Wanting to ease travel procedures, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has asked the Department of Disease control to consider getting rid of the second Covid-19 test requirement for international arrivals. The test is taken five days after arriving in Thailand. This news comes after the airline company AirAsia claimed that many tourists are discouraged from coming to Thailand because of travel procedures. Anutin is now working to balance recovering the economy, and people’s safety. Anutin said to end the second test requirement, there must be increased preventative steps, such as speeding up vaccines. He said hospital beds and medicals supplies […]

The story Officials discuss ending second Covid-19 test requirement for international arrivals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Haha 🤣🤣🤣 🙄. Laughable - continuing to piss the tourism economy down the drain. Need to save face.  The recent infections are not resulting in increased hospitalization of any substantial amount and daily deaths have basically been flat since November. Thailand is behind The rest of the forward thinking world. There comes a point where the cost risk ratio does not make sense any longer.  

• Like 2

I'll add my voice to the chorus of get rid of the day five Test and replace it with...nothing. I'm sure many tourists have been frustrated with this whole day 5 spend a night in a hotel routine. In my own case, I'm coming to Phuket under the sandbox scheme and staying at an SHA+ hotel so it makes no difference to me. I decided on sandbox even though I was eleigible for test and test and Go. The Thai Government has proven to be a little too jumpy with Omicron and suspended test and Go before, so I'm not taking that chance. 

I do think that wearing masks outdoors is overreaching. Open air has proven to be the safest environment of all. I would wear one in any indoor location, especially anywhere crowded where I can't maintain safe distance. But wearing a mask on a beach with only a few people on it (let's face it...the  beaches aren't exactly crowded are they?). I'll wear one riding a motorbike around town. When you stop at the lights you can't keep safe distance from other riders. The other benefit is keeping a filter on all the pollution and exhaust fumes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Disagree - any testing on arrival means quarantine if positive - unacceptable.  When they drop all testing on arrival - then and only then, will tourists and visitors return in the numbers they need to revive the economy.

Correct. It’s one thing to have a pre-departure test and find you are positive. You can self isolate at home and if you are sensible and have holiday insurance then that should cover you for cancellation costs. However, to fly 6,000 miles from Europe and then find you test positive and spend most of your holiday in quarantine is too much of a risk for genuine holiday makers. The Bangla road/Nana plaza boys will risk it, but normal tourists won’t. Not in any significant numbers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I could laugh and shake my head at the same time, I would. Oh wait I can!😁

When looking at other country’s timelines for vaccines, entry and quarantine policies, it seems Thailand is about 2 months behind the pack. They are not leaders, but followers. And so far they’ve always had to discuss everything to the nth degree when everyone else has figured it out already. I don’t see that part changing. So maybe in 2 months they will get smart according to the will and interests of those in power 😕

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sarisin said:

test positive means you are positive, get stuffed with a policy which does not pay up, your fault for not reading the small print. Get screwed with an enormous hotel bill for nothing pay up and don't make a fuss! The Thaiger should be calling out this quarantine nonsense, not supporting it

True - but unfortunately if the Thaiger did that 'too loudly' then they will be 'punished'.  Remember back in the day when Tim used to portray TAT and all the Thai Govt as ridiculous and stupid - threatening to walk backwards nude down Bangna road if the latest rubbish announcement happened??  Tim suddenly took a few weeks holiday and when he came back he had been replaced, and he was far more 'positive' towards Thai tourism.  Some of that was the business partners of The Thaiger, but IMO there was also some threats displeasure expressed, including by Thai authorities in Phuket where he lives. Long time Thai blogger Richard Barrow also stopped being 'over-critical' some time ago after his extension was threatened. The Thai Junta Govt has passed severe laws that are being used to punish anyone saying things against 'the best interests of the Thai people' - which means of course anything against what they do.  

Edited by KaptainRob
Part quote deleted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slowly moving in the right direction.

Just need to come to understand that the day 5 test is completely pointless if only tourists are tested. 

Thailand doesn't need to worry too much about the import of the virus because it's already there. Make sure that all visitors are vaccinated at least twice, have an antigen test (for free) upon arrival (take it from the 300 Baht 'entry fee') and more tourists will come. Off-season already, but maybe some would come to enjoy Songkran or Easter. Or is Songkran 2022 called off? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grant said:

Hi Manu

Fox News?

🤔😂😂😂

Hi Grant

Where did I say that? Are you one? If you are, enlight us then...

"false information" about what? Firstly I use my brain, you sould try one day. Secondly I said "useless outdoors" (in my first sentence) and I maintain that!!! Feel free to find any study or "information" to contredict that statement instead of the yellow faces at the end of your comment.

Fox News? I never watch any US news channels and apart from the names, I do not know anything about them.

You are welcome.

Post Scriptum: I spare you and everyone else, we are all intelligent people here after all, the use of yellow faces in order to express "something". Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fundok said:

Slowly moving in the right direction.

Just need to come to understand that the day 5 test is completely pointless if only tourists are tested. 

Thailand doesn't need to worry too much about the import of the virus because it's already there. Make sure that all visitors are vaccinated at least twice, have an antigen test (for free) upon arrival (take it from the 300 Baht 'entry fee') and more tourists will come. Off-season already, but maybe some would come to enjoy Songkran or Easter. Or is Songkran 2022 called off? 

Anyone with a negative pre-arrival test and day 1 test, but testing positive on day 5 is highly likely to have been infected locally, as well, so should be allowed to self-isolate the same as locals. A week living off 7/11 and Grab deliveries wouldn't be much fun, but would still be better than hospital or "hospitel" isolation.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Grant said:

Hi Manu

Fox News?

🤔😂😂😂

Researchers in Denmark...

Dr. Henning Bundgaard, lead author of the experiment and a physician at the University of Copenhagen, told the reporters the results of his research are clear.

“Our study gives an indication of how much you gain from wearing a mask,” Bundgaard said. “Not a lot.”

Surgical masks do not protect the wearer against infection with the coronavirus this large randomized clinical trial concludes. This study is still likely one of the best scientific evidences to date on the efficacy of masks.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

https://fee.org/articles/new-danish-study-finds-masks-don-t-protect-wearers-from-covid-infection/

3 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Researchers in Denmark...

Dr. Henning Bundgaard, lead author of the experiment and a physician at the University of Copenhagen, told the reporters the results of his research are clear.

“Our study gives an indication of how much you gain from wearing a mask,” Bundgaard said. “Not a lot.”

Surgical masks do not protect the wearer against infection with the coronavirus this large randomized clinical trial concludes. This study is still likely one of the best scientific evidences to date on the efficacy of masks.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

https://fee.org/articles/new-danish-study-finds-masks-don-t-protect-wearers-from-covid-infection/

Yeap… but what can we do?