News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

Thailand’s capital can still be called “Bangkok,” but a deputy prime minister says foreigners should be encouraged to say the formal name “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon.” In a recent, what the Office of the Royal Society calls a “clarification,” the capital’s official name was documented as “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (Bangkok).” Many reports say this is a change of the official name, but officials say the name has not changed, adding that the capital has always been “Krung Thep” and the name “Bangkok” is still recognised. Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam clarified that for a long time Thais have been calling the […]

The story Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So he thinks calling it two names might now be confusing? Let's just stop and think who just caused the confusion, and for what?

And of all the pressing matters in Thailand the world, this nonsense got oxygen somehow 🙃

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Artemis080 said:

So he thinks calling it two names might now be confusing? Let's just stop and think who just caused the confusion, and for what?

And of all the pressing matters in Thailand the world, this nonsense got oxygen somehow 🙃

Yes, it's a bit like calling New York, 'New Amsterdam' isnt it?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"One night in Krung-Thep-Maha-Nakhon..."

Does not have the same ring to it.

But :

"One night in Krung-Thep"

has.

So lets compromise, and tell.people to say "Krung-Thep"

Lots of 'em, me include, doing it anyway, when talking to a Thai about the capitol city of Thailand

• Like 4

If he visit europe he should be encoureged to use the original names and not english. In many areas in europe they have often the old celtic names or would be funny to listen how he would be able to say the german town names or scandinavian. Would be funny how he say Muenchen instead of Munich. A ch in german is not  like a ch in english 🤣😂 and thats just one of the easier names. Would be interesting also for the scandinavian spellings. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s capital can still be called “Bangkok,” but a deputy prime minister says foreigners should be encouraged to say the formal name “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon.” In a recent, what the Office of the Royal Society calls a “clarification,” the capital’s official name was documented as “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (Bangkok).” Many reports say this is a change of the official name, but officials say the name has not changed, adding that the capital has always been “Krung Thep” and the name “Bangkok” is still recognised. Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam clarified that for a long time Thais have been calling the […]

The story Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Enough already! I still have a hard time correctly pronouncing Suvarnabhumi. Pretty sure I have never said it correctly. But I still manage to get to the airport. 

Edited by Lawyers_Guns_and_Money
Drunken typo while contemplating whether or not to curse
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

It amazes me how Thailand is really trying to make life difficult for foreigners. Is this Deputy PM aware that this 4 word new name for Bangkok, ooops, I mean of course "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" is both difficult to remember, pronounce and use for non-Thai speakers? That maybe there is a reason why there aren't that many capitols in the world that have a four letter name? Other than Ho-Chi-Minh city aka as Saigon nothing comes to my mind where a major city consists of four words. But hey, since Thailand does not have enough problems why not shoot yourself in the foot to find out if it'll hurt and bleed? No common sense can beat the experience thirst of a 6 yr old....

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"One night in Krung-Thep-Maha-Nakhon..."

Does not have the same ring to it.

And you can't dance to it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fundok said:

It amazes me how Thailand is really trying to make life difficult for foreigners. Is this Deputy PM aware that this 4 word new name for Bangkok, ooops, I mean of course "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" is both difficult to remember, pronounce and use for non-Thai speakers? That maybe there is a reason why there aren't that many capitols in the world that have a four letter name? Other than Ho-Chi-Minh city aka as Saigon nothing comes to my mind where a major city consists of four words. But hey, since Thailand does not have enough problems why not shoot yourself in the foot to find out if it'll hurt and bleed? No common sense can beat the experience thirst of a 6 yr old....

the name “Bangkok” is still recognised. No-one is trying to 'make life difficult.'

1 minute ago, Fundok said:

And the majority of  the inhabitants of Ho Chi Minh City, and most visitors, still refer to it as Saigon. Another Thai official proving to the world that he inhabits a parallel universe.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

I don't see anyone buying tshirts that say "My grandfather went to Krung Thep Maha Nakhon and all I got was this lousy tshirt." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Stardust said:

If he visit europe he should be encoureged to use the original names and not english. In many areas in europe they have often the old celtic names or would be funny to listen how he would be able to say the german town names or scandinavian. Would be funny how he say Muenchen instead of Munich. A ch in german is not  like a ch in english 🤣😂 and thats just one of the easier names. Would be interesting also for the scandinavian spellings. 

I guess he also regularly refers to Japan as Nippon, Germany as  Deutschland and on it goes. 

7 hours ago, Stardust said:

I recommend a detour via Wales. The names some of the places have are gaelic and may be even a tiny little bit more difficult to rember and spell out, such as "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch". The shorter version is Llanfair PG by the way, so our brave Scotsmen have a sense of pragmatism after all it seems. About 3'000 people living in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, so its almost the size of the city which formerly was known as Bangkok.

Goodness me, one wonders how high (or low?) the intellectual bar is set to become a Deputy PM in some countries.

Edited by Fundok
Corrected/replaced "Scotland" with "Wales"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I guess he also regularly refers to Japan as Nippon, Germany as  Deutschland and on it goes. 

Those wacky Orientals 

11 minutes ago, Poolie said:

the name “Bangkok” is still recognised. No-one is trying to 'make life difficult.'

Then why encourage foreigners to use the new name? Why have a new name at all? What's wrong with Bangkok?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yes, it's a bit like calling New York, 'New Amsterdam' isnt it?

Not really. You have to make it four words like 'New York New Amsterdam' to make a fair comparison.

14 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

And the majority of  the inhabitants of Ho Chi Minh City, and most visitors, still refer to it as Saigon. Another Thai official proving to the world that he inhabits a parallel universe.

True. A valuable contribution to my post. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

I will agree to say Krung Thep Maha Nakhon once they agree not to stick a swab up my nose every five days. Deal?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Fundok said:

I recommend a detour via Scotland. The names some of the places have are gaelic and may be even a tiny little bit more difficult to rember and spell out, such as "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch". The shorter version is Llanfair PG by the way, so our brave Scotsmen have a sense of pragmatism after all it seems. About 3'000 people living in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, so its almost the size of the city which formerly was known as Bangkok.

Goodness me, one wonders how high (or low?) the intellectual bar is set to become a Deputy PM in some countries.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is in Wales. 😀

My wife and everyone in the village has called Bangkok Krung Thep for a very long time. Nothing new, they just use the shortened version.

Edited by Saltire