News Forum - Foreigners willing to invest 30 million baht can now get a work permit with Elite Card

Thaiger

27 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I didn't want to get blocked since a posting I made implying that the citizens of England are paying for a Prince's statutory raupe is being surpressed.

Hardly surprising. As all the incidents took place in jurisdictions where the age of consent was 16, and these happened when Giuffre was at least 17, then there was no statutory rape. 

elite visas are just another name for mafia visas to get money out of you, they could make all these visas without asking such amounts and the country will be filling with a lot of foreigners, thing is they thinking if we get 1 or 2... lol anyway to answer that... nobody is willing to do that, remember last time someone had overstay on elite visa did they help? naaahhh not trustworthy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Hardly surprising. As all the incidents took place in jurisdictions where the age of consent was 16, and these happened when Giuffre was at least 17, then there was no statutory rape. 

I stand corrected. So it was completely appropriate for a 41 year old man to have sex with a 17 year old girl who was trafficked from the US to the UK. 

I may have been incorrect in my description of statutory r@pe. But let us not normalize what transpired and say that it was all above board.

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, I certainly agree with that bit - 30 million for a work permit!!!

Well, the 90 day is an inconvenience but hardly a major drama - a few minutes on the internet or at the Post Office.

Own land? You can't even own less than a rai, so why more than a rai?

The same old chestnut.

Why should there be reciprocity over one thing, just to suit some people, but not others?

But Farang can “own” the lease to the land ! l🤪🤣my lawyer said/ confirmed  as Lessee I don’t own  my property or land but Municipal put “ Owner” on my yellow book 🤣😫lawyer prevails …..

1 minute ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I stand corrected. So it was completely appropriate for a 41 year old man to have sex with a 17 year old girl who was trafficked from the US to the UK. 

I may have been incorrect in my description of statutory r@pe. But let us not normalize what transpired and say that it was all above board.

You need to pull your neck in. I was not normalising it. I was correcting your error, and raising the possibility that  your previous post was supressed, because it was inaccurate, and possibility defamatory if you made the same statement in that post.

8 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

US Federal authorities are possibly unique in that their laws and claimed “ jurisdiction “ extends everywhere to US Citizens. Human Trafficking is illegal everywhere at all ages but legal age of consent is 15-16 all across civilized European countries and parts of US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bifrost said:

Lets not hope any is so stupid . 

Maybe for money laundering as the other countries has much better offers and more stable conditions, landownership etc etc and less mad regulations and not changing weekly regulations, much better economies. I really dont know who else would choose that if he has much better offers with much more benefits. For sure always exclude people who have a family here and reasons because of that. 

Why would anyone want to invest 1 million USD just to get a work permit.  Rich people aren’t stupid and not interested in getting a work permit. If anything, they will want a business visa and have a lawyer grease the wheels at immig.  It’s done all the time.  Why do you think all those gift baskets are delivered to division one, at New Years and Songkran?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, resetamy said:

If a Thai person can buy land in the United States where I am from, why can't an American buy Thai land? I understand Thailand was never formally colonized and clings to its traditional ways, but when you look at the influence of ex-pats and the economy, Thailand needs westerners, not the other way around....

Because Thais sadly can't compete with Europeans / Americans in purchasing power. This means that if you open the sale of land to foreigners, the prices will rise, pushing poor Thais further into poverty. It's not only about traditional ways. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Does said:

Why would anyone want to invest 1 million USD just to get a work permit.  Rich people aren’t stupid and not interested in getting a work permit. If anything, they will want a business visa and have a lawyer grease the wheels at immig.  It’s done all the time.  Why do you think all those gift baskets are delivered to division one, at New Years and Songkran?  

Besides the reason explained above, a lot of people have  _a lot of money_ and they make tons of it  doing business in Thailand. So for those people 1M bucks is not much.

6 minutes ago, MelBurn said:

Besides the reason explained above, a lot of people have  _a lot of money_ and they make tons of it  doing business in Thailand. So for those people 1M bucks is not much.

Investments depends on the conditions, frames, stable regulations, an evironment what make it benefitial for investments, stable politcal situation, a healthy economy, etc. It is not about the amount 1M usd! And they can choose which country has the best conditions for that. You really think there are no competitors (countries) in south east asia with much better conditions? I guess you really not understand the question of this user and this subject.

2 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Because Thais sadly can't compete with Europeans / Americans in purchasing power. This means that if you open the sale of land to foreigners, the prices will rise, pushing poor Thais further into poverty. It's not only about traditional ways. 

Best reply of the day

Clap Reaction GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

I am not sure I understand the problem of driving Thais further into poverty. You will be buying from a Thai. I can see the problem of house price inflation, but if only Thais own property, there will still be the same prob.

Personally, the way I see to fix that issue is to sell a limited number of props annually with a minimum threshold price of say 5 Mill.

1 hour ago, JohninDublin said:

I am not sure I understand the problem of driving Thais further into poverty. You will be buying from a Thai. I can see the problem of house price inflation, but if only Thais own property, there will still be the same prob.

Personally, the way I see to fix that issue is to sell a limited number of props annually with a minimum threshold price of say 5 Mill.

You will not necessarily be buying from a Thai; I mean, if you open up to foreign buyers, you must also allow them to freely sell to whoever they want whenever they want. 

Also house price inflation is not the same when only Thais own property, because on average Thai buyers have much less purchasing power than western ones (specially those westerners coming to Thailand looking to buy a property)... 

And as for the second part of your post, yes, there are (were) some proposals underway to let foreigners own up to 1 Rai of land on specific locations under specific conditions to strictly control the markets and pricing. 

• Like 1

Before I parted with B30m, I’d  want a guarantee that I would be able to travel freely in and out of the Kingdom at all times. Remember when the pandemic started foreigners including retirees were barred from entry for 7 months. We all know how Thais panic and overreact, in future if a new variant emerges they could  do the same again. I have many Thai friends here in U.K., who are utterly disgusted with the way their government has treated them ...imagine having to ask permission and wade through a mountain of paperwork to return to your OWN county. If the Thais themselves are treated like s**t by their own government, what hope is there for us ?.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MelBurn said:

I don't know I think I agree with the person you replied.. 

If your business is making that much money in Thailand, the immigration part is already handled in some way

They are clamoring for a work permit.....

1 hour ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

You will not necessarily be buying from a Thai; I mean, if you open up to foreign buyers, you must also allow them to freely sell to whoever they want whenever they want. 

Also house price inflation is not the same when only Thais own property, because on average Thai buyers have much less purchasing power than western ones (specially those westerners coming to Thailand looking to buy a property)... 

And as for the second part of your post, yes, there are (were) some proposals underway to let foreigners own up to 1 Rai of land on specific locations under specific conditions to strictly control the markets and pricing. 

The chances re that you will be buying from a Thai, but if not, then somewhere down the line, that house will have been in TH ownership. And it stands to reason that if allowing property ownership rights are part an incentive scheme, any restrictions that limit your ability to dispose of the property will be a deal-breaker.

And yes, while the Thais have less purchasing power, those most affected by this are the people trying to get on the property ladder who are likely to be looking at the bottom end of the market. I just had a quick look on a property website with thousands of listings, and below 1 mill, all it has in Pattaya are studio apartments at 330 Sq Ft. I would think that if you had $1 mill to invest you might want to live in something more upscale.

Then of course, there is also the issue that in countries such as Ireland and the UK, house purchases help drive the economy through ancillary purchases such as building works, furniture etc so there is a trickle down effect as it generates employment. 

But coming back to my earlier suggestion about what is effectively a quota system, 5000 houses a year being sold to Farangs, is 0.027% of the housing stock annually. Place a minimum price on these of 5 mill THB, and with the investors required to pony up a $1 mill minimum, you are looking at about 185 BN THB a year inward investment into the country, which adds 1.2% to GDP, before these businesses start to generate any profits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

The chances re that you will be buying from a Thai, but if not, then somewhere down the line, that house will have been in TH ownership. And it stands to reason that if allowing property ownership rights are part an incentive scheme, any restrictions that limit your ability to dispose of the property will be a deal-breaker.

And yes, while the Thais have less purchasing power, those most affected by this are the people trying to get on the property ladder who are likely to be looking at the bottom end of the market. I just had a quick look on a property website with thousands of listings, and below 1 mill, all it has in Pattaya are studio apartments at 330 Sq Ft. I would think that if you had $1 mill to invest you might want to live in something more upscale.

Then of course, there is also the issue that in countries such as Ireland and the UK, house purchases help drive the economy through ancillary purchases such as building works, furniture etc so there is a trickle down effect as it generates employment. 

But coming back to my earlier suggestion about what is effectively a quota system, 5000 houses a year being sold to Farangs, is 0.027% of the housing stock annually. Place a minimum price on these of 5 mill THB, and with the investors required to pony up a $1 mill minimum, you are looking at about 185 BN THB a year inward investment into the country, which adds 1.2% to GDP, before these businesses start to generate any profits.

Foreign investors is what you mean, not just 'farangs'?