News Forum - Global Electric Vehicle sales up 109% last year

Thaiger

In new research on the global electric vehicle market, Canalys estimates that 6.5 million electric vehicles (EVs) were sold worldwide in 2021, up 109% on 2020. EVs include fully electric and plug-in hybrid passenger cars. The total global car market grew just 4% in 2021 as it continued to struggle with Covid-19 restrictions and chip shortages. EV sales represented 9% of all passenger car sales in 2021. Demand for EVs stayed strong in 2021, but many more would have been sold had it not been for the chronic component shortages still affecting every car maker around the world. • 85% […]

The story Global Electric Vehicle sales up 109% last year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

, Canalys estimates that 6.5 million electric vehicles (EVs) were sold worldwide in 2021, up 109% on 2020.

Sales humming along nicely then .. 

• Haha 3

Full EVs will be a difficult option in Thailand for a long time I reckon. There are so many problems with the shared charging stations in US and UK - and even Tesla has some issues.  I cannot see them ever being anything but unreliable (and dangerous) in Thailand. Instead of bringing in Tesla or one of the  mainstream manufacturers, Thailand decides to give the EV business in Bangkok to an existing Thai Billionaire Somphote Ahunai whose company has no history or experience with EVs - unbelievable but very believable. Of course the car/taxi part crashed, and the buses appear to also be having problems.  Hopefully they will wake up one day and just let Honda and Toyota make them in their local factories, and get them to work together to develop and install and maintain the charging stations. Or better still - bring in Tesla and let them take things over - on the basis that they make them in Thailand for the neighbouring SEAsia market.  Meanwhile plug-in at home Hybrids are a viable option - so let Honda and Toyota etc. have access to the local hybrid market on the same basis. Those that import them and assemble in Thailand can pay more in taxes. 

• Like 1

Global sales of EV's may be soaring, but there seems to be a reluctance of foreign manufacturers to assemble EV's here in Thailand (I am talking pure EV's noy hybrids) I wonder why this is???. Lack of confidence maybe?? A few weeks ago some government official was quoted as saying that by 2030, 30% of all vehicles on the road would be EV. If that were to happen, where would the electricity come from to charge them?

Right now to purchase an imported EV we are asked to pay 100% import duty, which means that a Tesla 3 costs around 2.6M and a lowly Nissan Leaf ~2M. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 3:09 AM, Tunafish said:

A few weeks ago some government official was quoted as saying that by 2030, 30% of all vehicles on the road would be EV. If that were to happen, where would the electricity come from to charge them?

Charging an EV requires far less energy than burning fossil fuels does. Transitioning to EVs will mean lowering the overall power use.

That said, electrical grids may have to be improved in some places.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, Tunafish said:

Global sales of EV's may be soaring, but there seems to be a reluctance of foreign manufacturers to assemble EV's here in Thailand (I am talking pure EV's noy hybrids) I wonder why this is???. Lack of confidence maybe?? A few weeks ago some government official was quoted as saying that by 2030, 30% of all vehicles on the road would be EV. If that were to happen, where would the electricity come from to charge them?

Right now to purchase an imported EV we are asked to pay 100% import duty, which means that a Tesla 3 costs around 2.6M and a lowly Nissan Leaf ~2M. 

not much demand, there isn't great infrastructure for EV's right now from what I see 

Global demand for EV's are going to fade in my opinion, all that stimulus money had people buying teslas on loans, the younger generation these days buy anything that's "hyped" up even if they can't afford it. I knew quite a few relatives/friends who got teslas, some don't even have jobs.

Edited by dj230

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, Thaiger said:

Canalys estimates that 6.5 million electric vehicles (EVs) were sold worldwide in 2021, up 109% on 2020

Mark Twain said there a lies, d**mn lies, and statistics.  Yes and if the number of EV was 1 and next year it was 10, saying that the EV market increased 1,000 percent would be technically correct but saying it grew by only 9 cars doesn't sound so good. 

Lets put this in perspective.  In 2021 66.7 million automobiles were sold.  If the number of EV's was 6.5 million, that is 9.7% of total sales.  If the headline read, EV's only command 9.7% of the total car market it gives an entirely different and actually more accurate picture of how significant EV cars are in today's market.  Also, in the USA they are woefully lacking the ability to supply the batteries in the future.  They Chinese virtually control all of the cathodes and anodes to make the batteries.  Wonderful, that is akin to Europe relying 100% on Russia for its oil and gas.  Not a good situation. 

image.thumb.png.d880a4c733bd1d56753545bf9e5b682f.png

image.thumb.png.eddc75db961b7cfbfcdec46c330190fe.png