News Forum - Tourist questioned by police, Phuket taxi drivers said he was driving a “service vehicle”

Thaiger

A Russian tourist was taken to a police station in Phuket for questioning after local taxi drivers reported that the man was driving throughout the island province, claiming he was picking up passengers. The tourist was just driving his family members, but the car he rented ended up being registered as a service vehicle. Both the owner of the vehicle and the tourist had to pay a 1,000 baht fine. The car had a green licence plate, which is for service vehicles, like taxis. When local taxi drivers saw the car full of passengers with a foreign man behind the […]

The story Tourist questioned by police, Phuket taxi drivers said he was driving a “service vehicle” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

In Phuket the criminals are criminals, the taxi drivers are criminals, the tourists are criminals, and the police are criminals. That's the only thing I read here 

Though I have no idea why these seemingly petty crimes are always frontpage issues.

Edited by MikeV
  • Like 4

If you drive a car in another country, you have to obey the law. 

There are many laws in the tourists‘ countries, which are hard to know and to understand.

Everywhere in the world there is the risk, that you break a law without intending to do.

And especially people of a high-crime country like the US complaining about that is totally ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Michael0510 said:

If you drive a car in another country, you have to obey the law. 

There are many laws in the tourists‘ countries, which are hard to know and to understand.

Everywhere in the world there is the risk, that you break a law without intending to do.

And especially people of a high-crime country like the US complaining about that is totally ridiculous.

It has zero ti do with where I'm from to point out silliness of this situation.  Phuket has a bad rep because they create it.

I don't see this elsewhere in this amazing country. At least nowhere I've spent time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeV said:

In Phuket the criminals are criminals, the taxi drivers are criminals, the tourists are criminals, and the police are criminals. That's the only thing I read here 

Though I have no idea why these seemingly petty crimes are always frontpage issues.

Come on Mike, we both know it was just a slow news day!!🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

service vehicle sounds preferable to the usual scam vehicles posing as taxis. People need to boycott the place until the taxis are forced to use meters, instead of charging a days wages for a few hundred meters trip

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

When local taxi drivers saw the car full of passengers with a foreign man behind the wheel,

Ok, I thought he was hacked into pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sarisin said:

service vehicle sounds preferable to the usual scam vehicles posing as taxis. People need to boycott the place until the taxis are forced to use meters, instead of charging a days wages for a few hundred meters trip

This is exactly why I avoid going to Phuket and stay in Pattaya: it is too easy to corner a tourist on the island. If they agree to ask 1000 baht for a ride, tourists will have to pay 1000 baht. I think that it is the reason why Phuket remained open even when the rest of TH was closed for tourists: some powerful people have their share in this money rip.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MikeV said:

Wonderful that they fined the customer for the crime of the business.

Come on ... even if he didn't know that he had no insurance he should have known, and he obviously didn't get it from a car rental company.

It's not a big deal, but ignorance of the blindingly obvious really isn't a defence.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Come on ... even if he didn't know that he had no insurance he should have known, and he obviously didn't get it from a car rental company.

It's not a big deal, but ignorance of the blindingly obvious really isn't a defence.

Like to think I would only hire a car with regular white plates & black numbers ….. any colored plates would jar with me on vehicle inspection….but I’m a 20 year guy here on & off. Tourists cannot be expected to catch that type of detail but yes basic due diligence like hiring from a legit car rental shop, perhaps recommended by a good hotel, is expected.

• Like 3

Taking away their livelihoods... 

I get it, he may not drive a car with the green plate, but those taxi drivers could be real *ssholes. Your life must be full of crap to report a foreigner picking up his family members if it's just once. If he does it regularly, then ok, but just once...? 

There may be no other option to get around Phuket than those too expensive taxis? What's next? Fine tourists for choosing the option to walk to their hotel? Just because they don't want to take a taxi? 

• Like 3

Thais are very vicious attacking a man for hiring a car for 1day?

Is the Tourist suppose to know the car he just rented is illegal?

The onus should be on the renter , not the renter??

For once and for all make Taxi fares a flat rate for kms or check metres and regulate these scamming people!

Why is it only Phuket that we have trouble?

Are there other corrupt dealings behind the scenes on Phuket taxis?

51 minutes ago, Grant said:

Is the Tourist suppose to know the car he just rented is illegal?

Yes!!!!

No valid insurance policy should have made it blindingly obvious.

4 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Your life must be full of crap to report a foreigner picking up his family members if it's just once. If he does it regularly, then ok, but just once...? 

They reported what they saw  - a  foreigner driving a taxi.

4 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

There may be no other option to get around Phuket than those too expensive taxis?

Yes - rent a car legally, with the correct insurance.

Hardly asking too much.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Grant said:

Thailand wants tourists?

But treats tourists with contemp?

They can’t have it both ways?

So expecting tourists to obey the law, and in this case to drive a car that's got insurance, is treating tourists with contempt?

Seriously?

• Like 1