News Forum - Despite Covid-19, tourism authorities still optimistic about this coming year

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is keeping its chin up, and has high hopes for tourism income this year. The TAT governor told the Bangkok Post today he hopes to target wealthy travellers, skilled professionals, and remote workers. The target age groups include millenials and retirees alike. He says the goal for tourism this year is to earn the country 2.4 trillion baht, 80% of what was made in 2019, by 2023. Right now, tourism revenue is set to meet 1.28 trillion baht in 2022. The TAT says at least 626 billion baht in tourism receipts will come from at […]

The story Despite Covid-19, tourism authorities still optimistic about this coming year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is keeping its chin up, and has high hopes for tourism income this year. The TAT governor told the Bangkok Post today he hopes to target wealthy travellers, skilled professionals, and remote workers. The target age groups include millenials and retirees alike. He says the goal for tourism this year is to earn the country 2.4 trillion baht, 80% of what was made in 2019, by 2023. Right now, tourism revenue is set to meet 1.28 trillion baht in 2022. The TAT says at least 626 billion baht in tourism receipts will come from at […]

The story Despite Covid-19, tourism authorities still optimistic about this coming year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I was hoping for restriction free travel to Thailand by this summer. But after watching some videos showing the arrival process, I see no sign of Thailand removing the current restrictions. Instead, what they have created is a multi layered bureaucracy of safety theater. Ironically, the process they have created does run smoothly because there are few people willing to participate, and those that do are well prepared for the process. There has been much talk that the Thai Government loves to complicate simple tasks. Given that, I don't see how they would be willing to walk away from Test and Go. It provides too much of an opportunity for back slapping and for various ministries to flex their muscle to justify their existence.

Unless there is a dramatic change in the next 90 days, I will hold off until next year. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

TAT is working to tap into is environmentally conscious millenials.

Garbage collection tours, even more popular now with the oil spills.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Unless there is a dramatic change in the next 90 days, I will hold off until next year

That's a reasonable analysis, I think. Given the current trajectory, in March the emergency decree orders will probably get extended through May. After that it's going to be a slow walk-back of current restrictions. Maybe, by Nov 1 Thailand will see the light. Anything sooner woild be a gift.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I was hoping for restriction free travel to Thailand by this summer. But after watching some videos showing the arrival process, I see no sign of Thailand removing the current restrictions. Instead, what they have created is a multi layered bureaucracy of safety theater. Ironically, the process they have created does run smoothly because there are few people willing to participate, and those that do are well prepared for the process. There has been much talk that the Thai Government loves to complicate simple tasks. Given that, I don't see how they would be willing to walk away from Test and Go. It provides too much of an opportunity for back slapping and for various ministries to flex their muscle to justify their existence.

Unless there is a dramatic change in the next 90 days, I will hold off until next year. 

It is not just the Thai government. I arrived in Cambodia a couple of days back, and while the e-visa application was painless, the actual entry process bordered on farce. First the initial health screening where the documents where all checked and scanned in, then passport control where the documents where all checked and recorded again, and then onto the antigen test where the documents were all checked and recorded yet again. Bureaucrats the world over are going to be having wet dreams for decades over the paper empire building opportunities that Covid created. Sadly my flight back to the the UK (booked many months ago when things seemed to be getting better, and non-refundable) departs from Bangkok, so I am going to have to go through the whole tiresome Test&Pay process yet again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

It is not just the Thai government. I arrived in Cambodia a couple of days back, and while the e-visa application was painless, the actual entry process bordered on farce. First the initial health screening where the documents where all checked and scanned in, then passport control where the documents where all checked and recorded again, and then onto the antigen test where the documents were all checked and recorded yet again. Bureaucrats the world over are going to be having wet dreams for decades over the paper empire building opportunities that Covid created. Sadly my flight back to the the UK (booked many months ago when things seemed to be getting better, and non-refundable) departs from Bangkok, so I am going to have to go through the whole tiresome Test&Pay process yet again.

20 years later we are still taking our shoes off at the airport. Safety Theater never goes away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fanciful numbers , nothing new there . Unless they learn from forward thinking countries in Europe they could end up losing half (or more of next high season) people plan 6 months ahead especially families.They are desperately waiting for movement from the PRC, not looking likely which is bad for Phuket and Pattaya. Nobody has the balls to act fearful of being demonized by “science” , which then gets weaponised by social media and elections are coming. Expect and plan for more hand sitting .

• Like 1

I feel a bit sorry for the TAT at times. They can’t admit that the very government that funds them is largely responsible for undermining the very slim chance that the tourism industry will recover to any extent in the not too distant future. But their estimated figures show me that they can see the funny side of things. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I have confirmed tickets for April - I’ll go to Philippines instead. Same BS targeting wealthy tourists, delusional projections- the result is lost tourism money for, realistically, another year and a half. I had $5,000 US budgeted for my trip. How many  “me”s will be lost. Going to Philippines is not a loss I love that country as well. Certainly different from Thailand but definitely worth a trip. I actually think that the islands are a tossup between countries. Obviously Thailand has food hands-down. I’m glad I got to Phuket last November. See you in a year or so Thailand. 

Edited by Ksmui
  • Like 3