News Forum - Omicron subvariant BA.2 accounts for 18% of Covid-19 infections in Thailand

Thaiger

The Department of Medical Sciences says the highly contagious Omicron subvariant BA.2 makes up 18.5% of Covid-19 cases in Thailand. However, department boss Supakit Sirilak says that while BA.2 appears to be faster spreading, there is no indication it results in more severe illness or is more likely to evade vaccines. According to a Bangkok Post report, the DMS examined 567 Omicron samples during the period February 5 – 11 and 18.5% of them have been confirmed as BA.2, while the remainder are BA.1. Supakit says 42 imported Covid-19 infections, tested during the same period, were also found to be […]

The story Omicron subvariant BA.2 accounts for 18% of Covid-19 infections in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

When will Thailand start to catch up with the rest of the world and start lifting all these entry requirements, UK is now nothing as long as vaccinated, and even India which has had some of the strictest requirements has now you can enter with just vaccination and NO test... Thailand is being left behind now!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robosibbo said:

When will Thailand start to catch up with the rest of the world and start lifting all these entry requirements, UK is now nothing as long as vaccinated, and even India which has had some of the strictest requirements has now you can enter with just vaccination and NO test... Thailand is being left behind now!!!!

Good. Both places are open for business, enjoy. Thailand will act when it's good and ready, not before. It's not here to be what you want it to be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Good. Both places are open for business, enjoy. Thailand will act when it's good and ready, not before. It's not here to be what you want it to be.

That's the question: isn't it "good and ready" already? What is Thailand waiting for? Every day  those restrictions needlessly carry on increases the economic damage and hardship for the people.

We are all equipped with a head not only to prevent rain goes straight in our throat but to think. Hence I for one take the liberty to question decisions of authorities, and in this regard, the current policies in Thailand to enter make no difference. I live in an area where infection rates are probably 10-fold of the numbers in Thailand and yet the hospitalisation rates remain manageable - talking about Switzerland, Germany, Austria and other European countries that all loosen the Covid measures now or lift them nearly completely such as UK. So what is Thailand waiting for? The virus is there and is spreading, so any further attempt to prevent its import is pointless. But starving out the economy isn't. If you personally are not effected good for you. I was in Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai last month and could eye-witness many shops and businesses now closed forever, even franchises like 7/11 or Burger King. Time to do something more effective than just organizing car ralleys on Phuket.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fundok said:

That's the question: isn't it "good and ready" already? What is Thailand waiting for? Every day  those restrictions needlessly carry on increases the economic damage and hardship for the people.

We are all equipped with a head not only to prevent rain goes straight in our throat but to think. Hence I for one take the liberty to question decisions of authorities, and in this regard, the current policies in Thailand to enter make no difference. I live in an area where infection rates are probably 10-fold of the numbers in Thailand and yet the hospitalisation rates remain manageable - talking about Switzerland, Germany, Austria and other European countries that all loosen the Covid measures now or lift them nearly completely such as UK. So what is Thailand waiting for? The virus is there and is spreading, so any further attempt to prevent its import is pointless. But starving out the economy isn't. If you personally are not effected good for you. I was in Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai last month and could eye-witness many shops and businesses now closed forever, even franchises like 7/11 or Burger King. Time to do something more effective than just organizing car ralleys on Phuket.

So don't tell me, tell the government. You know where to find them. In Krung Thep thingy whatsit😀

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Tourism is down worldwide not just Thailand. The government is primarily trying to protect Thais.  It's also clear that tourist areas have been overbought and are suffering. The rest of the country and people are less affected. Although somewhat fatigued by mask and restrictions life is pretty normal. I would hate for the government to through caution to the win to gain some tourist cash. 

• Like 1

Oh,

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Tourism is down worldwide not just Thailand. The government is primarily trying to protect Thais.  It's also clear that tourist areas have been overbought and are suffering. The rest of the country and people are less affected. Although somewhat fatigued by mask and restrictions life is pretty normal. I would hate for the government to through caution to the win to gain some tourist cash. 

Protecting Thais?  go ahead, cover up for your government.  In June last year Thailand had only 5% of it's population fully vaccinated. Forgotten  ?