News Forum - Best places to retire in Asia 2022

Thaiger

Retiring in Asia is a dream for many, with fond memories of short or longer travel to some of the humid and exotic countries in the region. All that amazing food, fascinating histories, temples, diverse sceneries, adventures and shopping. Lots of shopping. So it’s easy to become enamoured with all things “Asia.” But living for a longer time, or retiring, is an entirely different proposition. Whilst we can recommend some good and bad points about some of your Asian retirement candidates, some things you simply won’t know until you give your prospective retirement choice a proper test drive – come […]

The story Best places to retire in Asia 2022 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

For UK retirees the Philipines is the only country of the 10 where the UK government will pay pension increases. 

Other Asian countries pensions are frozrn

4 minutes ago, Agudbuk said:

For UK retirees the Philipines is the only country of the 10 where the UK government will pay pension increases. 

I am not from the UK but this is an interesting and important point, wonder why they not mention that in the report. I guess most didn't know that ( readers who are not from the UK).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Agudbuk said:

How does the government know that you live out of the country?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MelBurn said:

Thailand is the best if you have money: most tolerant, safe, diverse and fun place.

Some people do not advise  the pensions department  when they live abroad so they can fraudulently get increases . However DWP do checks and  when they find out  any over payment is recovered from your pension. 

On 2/16/2022 at 8:51 AM, Agudbuk said:

Yes, a real drawback for many wishing to retire in places such as Thailand. I really can not fathom how the UK government gets away with this. When I’ve discussed this with people, those who support it will say things such as - Living abroad means you aren’t supporting the UK economy. However, the fact they pay increases in some countries and not others negates that argument. The list of countries where pension increases are paid seems almost arbitrary and illogical. They don’t apply to commonwealth countries such as Canada, Australia or New Zealand, but do apply increases to places like the Philippines and Turkey. 

I know several people who retired in Thailand knowing their pensions would be frozen but dismissed the potential problem. 15-20 years on, their pensions are essentially worth half what they were when the retired. Some very sad stories around the world and little to no interest shown by the UK government. Utterly unacceptable. Either pay it out to everyone or only pay it to people still residing in the UK. If you can’t or won’t do that, then at least publish the rationale for the disparity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MelBurn said:

How does the government know that you live out of the country?

You must have an address of residency in the UK. There are some loopholes such as claiming you live with a family member or friend, but this can then impact them on issues such as local council tax , not to mention being involved with fraud.  

• Like 3

Facebook have a page called 'British State Pensioners World Wide' and on that page there is a link to a petition we all can sign, and before anyone says what a waste of time these petitions are, I fully agree with that sentiment, but we have very little other choices.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/601821/?fbclid=IwAR13k40Wd6ptGaTHO-3yvkisrp3NdbYtypMPDfDF2BtIMGoy6qxoCOThtxc

Screenshot_2022-02-17-10-19-17-686_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.8ff8895c571533df29fa208769b2cba9.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

Facebook have a page called 'British State Pensioners World Wide' and on that page there is a link to a petition we all can sign, and before anyone says what a waste of time these petitions are, I fully agree with that sentiment, but we have very little other choices.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/601821/?fbclid=IwAR13k40Wd6ptGaTHO-3yvkisrp3NdbYtypMPDfDF2BtIMGoy6qxoCOThtxc

Screenshot_2022-02-17-10-19-17-686_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.8ff8895c571533df29fa208769b2cba9.jpg

With inflation running wild, lack of pension increases could cause real issues for those living here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

With inflation running wild, lack of pension increases could cause real issues for those living here. 

Thanks for those kind words of assurance, it really helps.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, a real drawback for many wishing to retire in places such as Thailand. I really can not fathom how the UK government gets away with this. When I’ve discussed this with people, those who support it will say things such as - Living abroad means you aren’t supporting the UK economy. However, the fact they pay increases in some countries and not others negates that argument. The list of countries where pension increases are paid seems almost arbitrary and illogical. They don’t apply to commonwealth countries such as Canada, Australia or New Zealand, but do apply increases to places like the Philippines and Turkey. 

I know several people who retired in Thailand knowing their pensions would be frozen but dismissed the potential problem. 15-20 years on, their pensions are essentially worth half what they were when the retired. Some very sad stories around the world and little to no interest shown by the UK government. Utterly unacceptable. Either pay it out to everyone or only pay it to people still residing in the UK. If you can’t or won’t do that, then at least publish the rationale for the disparity. 

What is their reasoning for being selective with the countries?

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

There is no logical reason.

-----

Most often said  "There is no reciorocal agreement"

Canada recently tried to do that but UK refused to discuss.

---

"Would cost too much."

National insurance has a massive surplus

-----

and the most often used....

"That's the way it has always been"

Whats the point of MPs if they can't update laws.  Without changes we would still have slavery; women not voting and child labour.

Its just unfair.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

All the government website says is that it applies to countries where they have a social security agreement. Whatever that means?  They then go on to say that although they have such an agreement with Canada and New Zealand you can’t get an increase but don’t say why. If it was a 3rd world country we would be shaking our heads in disbelief.  This is the UK FFS!!!  Madness.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 8:55 AM, Agudbuk said:

Cheers, @Agudbuk! The Pensions Dept have now added my signature to the petition. Now only another 3 thousand + needed before it will warrant parliamentary debate.

'If you don't ask, you don't get', my favourite mentor was wont to tell me . . . and who says that UK democracy is currently on the wain? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

All the government website says is that it applies to countries where they have a social security agreement. Whatever that means?  They then go on to say that although they have such an agreement with Canada and New Zealand you can’t get an increase but don’t say why. If it was a 3rd world country we would be shaking our heads in disbelief.  This is the UK FFS!!!  Madness.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

I do prefer the US's attitude where it is your money that you paid into it.......

Similar to the US unemployment where the UK you aren't entitled if you have just a small bit of savings

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 5:36 PM, Thaiger said:

Retiring in Asia is a dream for many, with fond memories of short or longer travel to some of the humid and exotic countries in the region. All that amazing food, fascinating histories, temples, diverse sceneries, adventures and shopping. Lots of shopping. So it’s easy to become enamoured with all things “Asia.” But living for a longer time, or retiring, is an entirely different proposition. Whilst we can recommend some good and bad points about some of your Asian retirement candidates, some things you simply won’t know until you give your prospective retirement choice a proper test drive – come […]

The story Best places to retire in Asia 2022 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

sounds spot on with these countries