News Forum - Bangkok’s crazy cables and wires to go underground, project starts this year

Thaiger

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thanks @Marc26. 

The same rules apply, but as you suggest, the higher number of cables in Bangkok make the potential issue a greater concern. That said, there use to be some very congested poles in Patong.

Most of the Telco companies I’ve worked for had a general rule that when duct capacity reached 2/3rd, then a new cable could only be added if a damaged or redundant cable was removed at cost to the new installation. Clearly that wasn’t always possible, in which case the additional cable was installed and at some point additional ducts were installed. 

All of Beach Rd has no wires anymore

I just don't see the big deal of why they need to do it. First get rid of street food carts, now get rid of open hanging wires, next...... Bangkok was not meant to look sterile.

I've never been a linesman for a Telco or utility, but it's got to be near impossible to untangle the mess I see in Bangkok without a lot of outages along the way. It would also presumably uncover a lot of pirated lines that will then have to go on the meter - which is only fair.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:54 PM, Benroon said:

I don't understand - 5-10 times as much as what ?

You can get waterproof ducts - as said on another post, all good quality housing projects now bury their cables so I don't think it's an issue. When you see the enormous projects Thailand is taking on, burying cables, though I'll believe it when I see it, is not beyond them.

Cable sheaths degrade and crack, allowing water to seep in. Even when we pressurized the cables coming from the central office, it still happened. I used to work for Verizon in Washington DC (where all cables must be buried) and we spent hours pumping water out of manholes and cable vaults.  And that was at 100 meters above sea level.  What's it going to be like at 1-5 meters above sea level? 

No doubt Cat Telecom has the deep pockets to invest in protecting their network.  Are they going to?

As far as power cables are concerned... Repairing Underground Power Cables Is Nearly Impossible.

• Thanks 1