News Forum - Thailand’s boat show saga – aches and pains for Phuket’s yachting industry

Thaiger

“The country’s leisure yachting businesses may face yet another round of ‘too many boat shows’ once the Covid disruptor has passed into relative insignificance.” It’s hard to imagine something as straightforward as a boat show causing endless controversy – but that has been the case almost since Thailand’s first show, Phuket International Marine Expo (PIMEX), held in 2003 at the Phuket Boat Lagoon (PBL). The brainchild of Image Asia MD, Grenville Fordham, and his business partner Andy Dowden, the idea of a boat show in Phuket initially attracted doubters in droves… “They’ve got no experience” and “It would be risky […]

The story Thailand’s boat show saga – aches and pains for Phuket’s yachting industry as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I went to the 'boat' show in Pattaya in 2018 1 used sailboat a power boat and a bunch of stuff on shore. I was more impressed with the Atlanta boat show in Georgia 

The boat market in Thailand is still hugely undervalued. There are some established players like Boat Lagoon Yachting who embrace both marinas and motor yacht sales in Phuket, Krabi and Singapore but compared to other parts of the world the surface isn't even being scratched yet.

Ironically the cruising ground is world class with a significant audience just a few hours flying time away. I am even considering dipping my toe in the water even though it's a 12 hour flight away. It is also a sector which plays straight into the hands of the government's desire for higher spending visitors.

I wouldn't worry too much about how many shows there are. Compared to Cannes, Monaco, Boot Düsseldorf or Southampton the cost of exhibiting is relatively small. In water exhibits are much cheaper than large stands on dry land or in exhibition halls. Similarly in terms of visitor numbers think quality not quantity. If 30 people came and everyone bought a boat it would be a phenomenally successful show.

The reality is a combination of sales prospects, networking and lifestyle support for existing owners.

2 hours ago, Henry said:

The boat market in Thailand is still hugely undervalued. There are some established players like Boat Lagoon Yachting who embrace both marinas and motor yacht sales in Phuket, Krabi and Singapore but compared to other parts of the world the surface isn't even being scratched yet.

Ironically the cruising ground is world class with a significant audience just a few hours flying time away. I am even considering dipping my toe in the water even though it's a 12 hour flight away. It is also a sector which plays straight into the hands of the government's desire for higher spending visitors.

I wouldn't worry too much about how many shows there are. Compared to Cannes, Monaco, Boot Düsseldorf or Southampton the cost of exhibiting is relatively small. In water exhibits are much cheaper than large stands on dry land or in exhibition halls. Similarly in terms of visitor numbers think quality not quantity. If 30 people came and everyone bought a boat it would be a phenomenally successful show.

The reality is a combination of sales prospects, networking and lifestyle support for existing owners.

It was an interesting read, for a non-boater

You never realize everything that goes on behind the scene....