News Forum - Polls show majority of parents doubt online learning, concerned about Covid-19 vaccines

Thaiger

An online survey conducted last week found that most parents doubt that online learning is effective for their children, and are either “dubious” or “very concerned” about kids 5-11 years old getting vaccinated. The survey questioned 1,089 parents across Thailand. The university that conducted the survey is Suan Dusit Rajabhat University in Bangkok. 66.85% of parents said they doubt how effective online learning is. 55.52% say they have little confidence in it being effective. 11.33 percent said they’re not confident about online learning’s effectiveness at all. Only 6.13% of parents said they were very confident, with 27.02% reporting feeling “fairly” […]

The story Polls show majority of parents doubt online learning, concerned about Covid-19 vaccines as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Whatever happened to the old rule in an emergency of ‘women and children first’ especially children ? In this hellish new authoritarian world order now being pursued by most governments it seems children are being sacrificed for the sake of the old and vulnerable. I’ve heard evil and lying politicians urge the vaccination of children to “save Granny”. These vaccinations have only been in use for a  little over a year, how do we know what wil happen 10 years down the line ? Children are barely affected by Covid, also, once vaccinated will they then be required to have endless boosters which wane after 4 months. As for education, I have many teacher friends in both the private and public sector, they regard online teaching a disaster though the children from wealthy families are less affected as you would expect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CharlesW said:

As for education, I have many teacher friends in both the private and public sector, they regard online teaching a disaster though the children from wealthy families are less affected as you would expect

Agreed absolutely - my "many teacher friends" are all Thai, all teaching in local state schools, and on line teaching is virtually a non-starter as far as effective teaching goes.

Very few of the local kids have the basic equipment, such as a laptop or even a broadband connection, and none are available free.

The teachers have done their best, trying various ways such as rotating kids through 'live' (face to face) classes, but the equipment simply isn't there and they're the first to admit that neither are the skills - they've never experienced it before, either as pupils or as teachers, and despite the time it's gone on for they've had virtually no training in what's effectively a whole new way of teaching.

These are all seriously dedicated teachers, not begpackers on an extended break. 

One's been teaching at the same village school for nearly forty years, and others are locals now 'working from home' teaching at schools elsewhere in the province and it's as frustrating for them as it is for the kids and parents.

37 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

MMR suddenly springs to mind here! 

I can't imagine why it should.

While Covid vaccines are arguable for children, in terms of both need, efficacy, and long term effects, with the cost/benefit being contentious, none of that applies in any way to the MMR vaccine.

It's been around for decades, long term side effects are well known and minimal, the efficacy's proven, and so is the need, both for children and adults and the need for children to have it before they're adults.

There's simply no comparing the two, for adults but more specifically for children as that's the topic, on any possible level.

• Like 2

I'm afraid these are the same parents  who let their kids come to online class and do nothing, I can tell you now some kids are learning as they are paying attention about 5-10 in a class of 26 students. The parents are passing the buck here, keep an eye on your kids and they will learn. 

Frankly think of the teachers when they have students who are logged on but are asleep, in the mall, having breakfast in the shower etc etc etc .. ive seen it all

Personally theres no way ive give an untested vaccine to anyone who couldnt make up their own mind. I dont blame the parents.

Edited by alex12345
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

I'm afraid these are the same parents  who let their kids come to online class and do nothing, I can tell you now some kids are learning as they are paying attention about 5-10 in a class of 26 students. The parents are passing the buck here, keep an eye on your kids and they will learn. 

Frankly think of the teachers when they have students who are logged on but are asleep, in the mall, having breakfast in the shower etc etc etc .. ive seen it all

... and what do you think the parents are doing who are "passing the buck"  by not keeping an eye on their kids?

Maybe ... umm ... working 😱 ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Yes it is comparable because parents (especially in the UK) are still very wary of the MMR vaccine and its alleged link to Autism, ADHD and several other behavioral issues in school-aged children!

Covid vaccines have similar concerns about potential side-effects! I know sure as hell if I was the parent of 6 year old there's no way any of these concoctions would be finding their way into his or her bloodstream.    

Maybe we're reading different articles.

I thought the article was about Thai parents' reluctance to have their kids vaccinated, which was why I questioned the comparison with the MMR vaccine since there's no such reluctance to the MMR vaccine by parents here.

If you want to try to divert this into a world-wide anti-vax rant, up to you but I'm not going to help you.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Agreed absolutely - my "many teacher friends" are all Thai, all teaching in local state schools, and on line teaching is virtually a non-starter as far as effective teaching goes.

Very few of the local kids have the basic equipment, such as a laptop or even a broadband connection, and none are available free.

The teachers have done their best, trying various ways such as rotating kids through 'live' (face to face) classes, but the equipment simply isn't there and they're the first to admit that neither are the skills - they've never experienced it before, either as pupils or as teachers, and despite the time it's gone on for they've had virtually no training in what's effectively a whole new way of teaching.

These are all seriously dedicated teachers, not begpackers on an extended break. 

One's been teaching at the same village school for nearly forty years, and others are locals now 'working from home' teaching at schools elsewhere in the province and it's as frustrating for them as it is for the kids and parents.

Civilized Society should protect Children first. Not the Old who were also greatly failed. Instead their young lives seriously disrupted for two years, which they will never get back,  with immense numbers of mental health breakdowns, to “save granny” and get vaxxed aged 5 + when they are near zero risk of Covid death even with conditions. 
Disgraceful & Cowardly Leadership Failure Everywhere. Check Out Neil Oliver on this on GB News.😩🥺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Civilized Society should protect Children first. Not the Old who were also greatly failed. Instead their young lives seriously disrupted for two years, which they will never get back,  with immense numbers of mental health breakdowns, to “save granny” and get vaxxed aged 5 + when they are near zero risk of Covid death even with conditions. 
Disgraceful & Cowardly Leadership Failure Everywhere. Check Out Neil Oliver on this on GB News.😩🥺

Agreed absolutely, @oldschooler, but while I'm not trying to defend it, it's a world-wide problem and if anything Thailand has at least some excuse as it's harder to " 'save granny' " when you live with granny, as many Thai kids do.

The problem is that while it's a failure, what's the alternative?  Ignore the danger of 'super-spreaders' at schools and let them take the virus home and across the community?

What better option is there, particularly here with multi-generational households and limited chance for on-line learning?

I'm not having a go, 😇, it's a genuine question.

• Like 1

"The most common reason for parents’ worries was the effectiveness of the vaccines, followed by long-term side effects, followed by immediate side effects"

well one thing is sure that many ...way too many patients in my opinion...experience severe side effects...and from that group also a good number develope symptoms similar to long covid...

for a vaccination that don't protect from infection ...its not a sterile vaccine...that only might prevent ICU cases...but if u look israel 80 percent in ICU have three shots already ..so they are in ICU when , if u believe pfitzer, should be protected from this very  situation...

the risk reward ratio is in a massive disadvantage for the patients

the vaccine a good marketing...fear sells...

what helps is vitamin d3 ...there is plenty of research...but this knowledge is not widespread so some might argue it is BS

Someone argued earlier that the parents are to busy working to supervise  their children while they are learning.  In my experience this doesnt seem to affect anuban or prathom students as much as matthayom. I have seen parents taking an active interest in younger children even on weekends.

If you think you can trust secondary students in any country to work especially in thailand where everyone passes to get on with their work and pay attention to the teacher, you talking about the 5% I have paying attention in every class. These are the students who have been brought up to listen to and respect their teachers and who want to get the good scores.

The rest they need to be supervised in class, because thats why they  are not learning

especially the male students boys can rarely do wrong in the eyes of their parents. But they are routinely the worst students in class. the boy girl divide is wider than even in the UK id say.

The teachers are doing the best they can under trying circumstances.

Edited by alex12345
change