News Forum - Singapore’s Formula 1 Grand Prix takes steps to reduce carbon footprint this year

Thaiger

Organisers of Singapore’s Formula 1 Grand Prix are taking steps to reduce the event’s carbon footprint. One step is using sustainable fuels to replace fossil fuels as part of their sustainability goals in the upcoming night race at Marina Bay Sands this September. The tournament is reportedly developing its own 100% “sustainable” fuel, including components derived from carbon capture, municipal garbage, and non-food biomass. A sustainability audit will also be carried out this year, which the Singapore Tourism Board and race organiser Singapore GP say will be used to plan other green initiatives over the next seven years. Channel News […]

The story Singapore’s Formula 1 Grand Prix takes steps to reduce carbon footprint this year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One big PR exercise  nothing against the GP ( I have been to a couple myself), but really  I would assume they will include all fuel consumed and ghg produced transporting the cars, crews and spectators from (hopefully) around the world. If they were serious amount reducing their footprint then we there would be no GP. I am not endorsing  that but just don't bs me

• Like 3

Singapore’s Formula 1 Grand Prix takes steps to reduce carbon footprint this year 

The best way, to reduce the carbon footprint for this event, would be doing it the same way, as 2020 and 2021. Or doing it virtual. 

Come on, guys, it is a car race. That and climate protecting is not a fit at all. Also the talking of some of the drivers, that they are all in for rescuing the climate, but still wanna do the only thing they can do : Driving a car around a track. With tires  good for just 150 km max, plus 100 kilo of gas for 300 km. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Best way, cancel it altogether. After last year, F1 is a joke of a supposed 'sport' and is now no more than an expensive pantomime. I'm done with it and its stupid antics, as are very many others. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Best way, cancel it altogether. After last year, F1 is a joke of a supposed 'sport' and is now no more than an expensive pantomime. I'm done with it and its stupid antics, as are very many others. 

I guess a typical wok attitude    Lets don't do anything we enjoy 

I assume  you buy water in plastic bottles  like to travel by some modern invention called an aircraft or train or oh shite a car   Or have you never used these forms of transportation

If not  i guess you are living in a cave still

• Like 1

When I was a kid (long time ago) if you had a car that got 50 (80ks) miles per gallon( imperial 5 litres) you were stoked.

A benefit of the GP over the years has been improved fuel technology, quality, performance and safety of motor vehicles.

Years ago if you had a 4 cyclinder car the life expectancy wasn't much after 50,000 miles now they get 5+ times more than that. Fuel efficency, longer lasting parts, improved road handling, even higher consistent speeds. 

Strong memories of little cars trying to get over hills during summer and failing or having to stop to at the top of the hill to let it cool down.

A lot of their technology is also passed on to other industries also.

They give a lot also.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

I love F1.  I have been following Grand Prix racing for over 50 years.

But this is just an exercise in BS greenwashing. 

Forget about the cars you should see the amount of gear that gets flown in by air cargo for one race weekend.  I have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

I guess a typical wok attitude    Lets don't do anything we enjoy 

I assume  you buy water in plastic bottles  like to travel by some modern invention called an aircraft or train or oh shite a car   Or have you never used these forms of transportation

If not  i guess you are living in a cave still

Woke is spelt with an e.  'Let's don't do', is  grammatically incorrect and 'let's' needs an apostrophe.  

Yes, I drink water from bottles and I fly aircraft, not just 'in' them and my 'cave' is a very nice modern house.  Any other irrelevances you want to bring up? 

Edited by Pinetree
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Woke is spelt with an e.  'Let's don't do', is  grammatically incorrect and 'let's' needs an apostrophe.  

Yes, I drink water from bottles and I fly aircraft, not just 'in' them and my 'cave' is a very nice modern house.  Any other irrelevances you want to bring up? 

Boxers or briefs?😀

• Haha 1