News Forum - Too much monkey business: in Petchaburi, they’re getting sterilised

Thaiger

In Petchaburi, a central province, monkeys are breeding like rabbits. They might look cute at first, but the booming number of monkeys might threaten tourism since the monkeys often steal peoples’ belongings. Right now there are 1,000-1,500 per district, and this number is rising to 3,000 in Muang district. An adviser to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment said the monkeys are now being sterilised. He said the monkeys are also having blood samples drawn to be screened for diseases like rabies. This is part of a project at the Wat Kuti School in the North of Petchaburi. In […]

The story Too much monkey business: in Petchaburi, they’re getting sterilised as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Put them back on the menu, probably tastier than the 'mickey mouse' they catch to eat. 

When I first came to Thailand 50 + years ago monkeys were on a lot of asian menus, help ease the pork crisis.

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Put them back on the menu, probably tastier than the 'mickey mouse' they catch to eat. 

When I first came to Thailand 50 + years ago monkeys were on a lot of asian menus, help ease the pork crisis.

But most of the time only the brains are consumed as a form of delicacy, the meats are mostly discarded so I don't think it will help the pork crisis protein nourishment wise

indiana-jones.gif.ffbe3be0bf3f092c9294992d3efe85a2.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noble_Design said:

But most of the time only the brains are consumed as a form of delicacy, the meats are mostly discarded so I don't think it will help the pork crisis protein nourishment wise

indiana-jones.gif.ffbe3be0bf3f092c9294992d3efe85a2.gif

Think if they ate the brains the rest would end up in a pot. Not a great deal wasted in some places.

I remember that scene from the movies, a girl friend dry retched on seeing it.🤣

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

Think if they ate the brains the rest would end up in a pot. Not a great deal wasted in some places.

Was it 'Face Of Death' because I saw that in the early days of video. Showing my age there!! 😀

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

It's not too bad actually... the texture is very creamy and they just sorta melt in the mouth... very full bodied with tongue tingling umami taste especially the part where the cerebellum that connects to the spinal cord. When I finished it I even licked the inside of the skull clean it was just that good.

Wait did I say too much?

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

6 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

It's not too bad actually... the texture is very creamy and they just sorta melt in the mouth... very full bodied with tongue tingling umami taste especially the part where the cerebellum that connects to the spinal cord. When I finished it I even licked the inside of the skull clean it was just that good.

Wait did I say too much?

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Never tried them but assume they would be very similar to lambs brains. Raised on those as a kid, mother did cook them though.  Favourite was crumbed and baked.

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Was it 'Face Of Death' because I saw that in the early days of video. Showing my age there!! 😀

Faces of Death 1978. At my age struggling to remember the circumstances of seeing the movie but it was in a Cinema and still have a vivid recollection of the sensitive English (city bred) lass heaving or trying to. London about that time of my life. Think her choice of movie also. Missed out that night too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to install a law to prohibit feeding wild life, streetdogs, pigeons, fish, etc. unless for saving a species on sientific grounds. When do people realize that these animals breed excessively when they have plenty of food. The fights in Lopburi are caused due to a lack of food normally provided by tourists and temple monks. Natural behavior has nothing to do with this. To many monkeys. So if you want to settle this you have to stop feeding them and sterilize.

1 hour ago, Bike said:

Time to install a law to prohibit feeding wild life, streetdogs, pigeons, fish, etc. unless for saving a species on sientific grounds. When do people realize that these animals breed excessively when they have plenty of food. The fights in Lopburi are caused due to a lack of food normally provided by tourists and temple monks. Natural behavior has nothing to do with this. To many monkeys. So if you want to settle this you have to stop feeding them and sterilize.

Good points.  I love animals but understand that too many dogs, cats etc. will decimate the natural ecosystem and species native to the region as they become prey for the overpopulated dogs etc.