News Forum - Survival Guide: Lifesaving tips and tricks for travelling in Thailand 2022

Thaiger

Travelling can be a fun adventure or a frustrating nightmare; it depends on your preparation and how well you handle the unexpected bumps in the road. Regardless of your destination, there are always a few things you need to know before heading someplace new. But in just a few (long) years, O, how the world has changed — especially international travel, post-pandemic. Thailand remains one of the best countries to visit, despite its changing travel restrictions. And like everywhere else, this popular vacation hotspot has its flaws. We want to help you prepare for the worst, so you can enjoy […]

The story Survival Guide: Lifesaving tips and tricks for travelling in Thailand 2022 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

All good stuff and very correct - anyone who has lived in Thailand for a 'long stay' happily will have realised and adopted all those recommendations and advice.  Those who come for drinking and sex and beach parties etc. will of course never listen - sad but true. Inevitably that is the type who get into trouble and sometimes it is very serious trouble.  But for the others, this is an excellent source of advice and a great summary of how to behave when they visit or live in Thailand.  

• Like 1

I would also add , avoid riding motorbikes , the roads are way to dangerous to be riding around on a motorbike , especially if you are unaware of the local riding etiquette 

• Like 1

Especially about respect and minding ones own business.  That means not complaining about things you have no control about. This regulation or that,  it doesn't matter and we unlikely understand the why's. So learn to live life to it fullest and avoid those who only see the negative. 

I may or not like the Thai pass or test and go, wearing masks, bar closures, etc. but need to accept those are the rules and not that burdensome. Life is pretty good!

• Like 2

Just now, Cabra said:

And always insist on your taxi to use the meter (or find a different taxi).

Or if you know what a fair price would be , agree on that price before hand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Especially about respect and minding ones own business.  That means not complaining about things you have no control about. This regulation or that,  it doesn't matter and we unlikely understand the why's. So learn to live life to it fullest and avoid those who only see the negative. 

I may or not like the Thai pass or test and go, wearing masks, bar closures, etc. but need to accept those are the rules and not that burdensome. Life is pretty good!

Agreed. And above all else, keep your cool.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Agreed. And above all else, keep your cool.

Don't shout and swear at immigration officers and suggest that they cannot speak English , when you fail to extend your visa and they rightfully  fine you for overstay

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 12:12 PM, Thaiger said:

Travelling can be a fun adventure or a frustrating nightmare; it depends on your preparation and how well you handle the unexpected bumps in the road. Regardless of your destination, there are always a few things you need to know before heading someplace new. But in just a few (long) years, O, how the world has changed — especially international travel, post-pandemic. Thailand remains one of the best countries to visit, despite its changing travel restrictions. And like everywhere else, this popular vacation hotspot has its flaws. We want to help you prepare for the worst, so you can enjoy […]

The story Survival Guide: Lifesaving tips and tricks for travelling in Thailand 2022 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Great article. After nearly two months of travelling around (south) Thailand, I’ve learned a lot about ‘Do’s and Dont’s’ here. That said, much of what has been suggested seems like common sense. Cultural awareness and carrying local currency (in cash) seem obvious, if not mandatory requirements when in any new country. As for politeness, that’s basic human decency that applies globally, traveller or resident, surely?! What I find interesting though, is the near constant use of the word ‘falang’. I get that it’s a word etched into the consciousness of most Thai people. What I’m at odds with is the way it sometimes seems a derogatory term. Maybe I’m wrong on this but for a nation who (rightly) desire respect on all fronts, is it also acceptable to refer to anyone ‘non-thai’ with such a blanket term? Suggestions or input on this would be useful!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarvW said:

Great article. After nearly two months of travelling around (south) Thailand, I’ve learned a lot about ‘Do’s and Dont’s’ here. That said, much of what has been suggested seems like common sense. Cultural awareness and carrying local currency (in cash) seem obvious, if not mandatory requirements when in any new country. As for politeness, that’s basic human decency that applies globally, traveller or resident, surely?! What I find interesting though, is the near constant use of the word ‘falang’. I get that it’s a word etched into the consciousness of most Thai people. What I’m at odds with is the way it sometimes seems a derogatory term. Maybe I’m wrong on this but for a nation who (rightly) desire respect on all fronts, is it also acceptable to refer to anyone ‘non-thai’ with such a blanket term? Suggestions or input on this would be useful!  

Dont get annoyed at being referred to as farang. Thats it. A farang is what you are. Therefore how you will be referred to.

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, MarvW said:

Much valid comment there, @MarvW, especially for your debut post! Thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Dont get annoyed at being referred to as farang. Thats it. A farang is what you are. Therefore how you will be referred to.

I’m not annoyed. I was just asking. I realise I don’t know the full situation. But considering the word ‘farang’ originally meant ‘white European’, I wondered if it now refers to anyone not Thai, eg. other southeast Asians also, such as Japanese, or Taiwanese. As a non-white European myself, you can understand my question. But thanks for making it clear! 

36 minutes ago, MarvW said:

I’m not annoyed. I was just asking. I realise I don’t know the full situation. But considering the word ‘farang’ originally meant ‘white European’, I wondered if it now refers to anyone not Thai, eg. other southeast Asians also, such as Japanese, or Taiwanese. As a non-white European myself, you can understand my question. But thanks for making it clear! 

Anytime. 😃

• Like 1