News Forum - Tourism revenue hits record low across all 77 provinces in Thailand

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

I’m no fan of the junta (to head off the ‘apologist’ children) but what figures/reports would placate the doubters ? 

None...... the doubters are always looking for the negative, always unhappy, always complaining and unfortunately always on most forums.

What a miserably bunch they are. 

• Like 2

Statistics as ever are meaningless given they are so easily used to justify one particular argument against another regardless of facts or evidence. What they definitely don't show is that the far greater hit of the reduction in overseas tourism that lies with the SME's - small and medium sized enterprises in Thailand. Nor will they show what is undoubtedly the case is that much Chinese tourism spend noted against Thailand and treated as income for the sake of argument actually accrues to China rather than Thailand. If Chinese holidays are bought and paid  for in China with Chinese companies ( as many are) the benefit to Thailand can be negligible. And if they buy and pay for all in packages with larger Thai companies where is the benefit that's really needed in terms of revenue and relief for Thai SME's.

I know it's Thailand and we're all supposed to bow down to China but i suspect as far as money filtering to those small family / sole trader businesses in Thailand this year and possibly next, that it's those pesky dirty farangs that will be the country's best bet.

Be careful what you wish for. More than one recent frontline politician in the UK has been made to look more than a little ridiculous for painting China as some great philanthropic body looking to help save the world

• Like 2

News Forum - Tourism revenue hits record low across all 77 provinces in Thailand

And …. TAT is about also to release its Tourism projections for arrivals and spending for 2025 this week as well. Don’t worry, all is projected to be fine and dandy, as it is always in Land of Smiles.

• Cool 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:38 AM, Noble_Design said:

Yes, Thailand needs China badly. In pre-Covid 2018 the receipts from China+HK themselves are equal to Europe+Entire American continent

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/News-link.php?nid=3627

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/more_news_new.php?cid=330&page=4

image.thumb.png.692a882bdf80aa9cee101cbf6857375b.png

Yeah they want the money, Chinese in the flesh not so much.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Goes for every nationality actually.

11 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

'Fraid you dont get one without the other, and don't give me that tired old 'the money get's spent in China' malarkey.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

23 minutes ago, Poolie said:

'Fraid you dont get one without the other, and don't give me that tired old 'the money get's spent in China' malarkey.😄

Wait are you saying that:

1) When they landed here and get their visas processed, the visa fees didn't go to Thai Immigration but goes to Chinese Immigration instead?

2) The buses that they travel to hotel and to all other destinations are all Chinese branded, Chinese owned and the driver is a mainlander?

3) The hotels that they stay are owned by Chinese, built by Chinese using imported Chinese material, and staffed by Chinese people?

4) The electricity and water used aren't actually from Thailand but instead there is a secret underground electric and pipeline all the way from China so Thailand water & electricity corporations don't get a single cent?

5) That all the food they eat are imported from China, no local ingredients used. Even the spices for Tom Yum & the papaya for Som Tam are all imported from China? And of course the chefs are all Chinese

6) The diesel that fuels their busses are obviously imported from China, all filled up at the numerous Sinopec stations in Thailand and staffed by mainlanders.

7) All those Chao Phraya river cruises used Chinese boats with Chinese staffs

8) All those souvenirs that Chinese people buy in bulk such as Naraya, dried mango and durian chips they are all obviously imported from China so nothing goes to Thailand at all

That about sums it right?

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Tourism revenue has plummeted across each of the 77 provinces, according to data from Thailand’s tourism ministry. The Bangkok Post reports that income from both foreign and local tourism reached an historic low in 2021, dropping by nearly 70%. "

That is the case in most parts of the world so why the surprise?

I think there is something called a pandemic going on.

That won't change this week, next week or next month.

Why all these reports on the problem Thailand is having we tourism, the whole world is having the same problem, it is like repeating the fact it rained today and might rain again tomorrow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

If the government don’t produce figures the conspiracy theorists start screaming fix, massaged figures, corruption, etc etc then when they do they’re lambasted by the conspiracy theorists! 

Every country had a different strategy with widely varying degrees of success, in terms of deaths then Thailand embarrassed the West, (on known figures) in terms of economics the West probably did better, time will tell on that one as massive debts need to be repaid. (The U.K. is about to enter a torrid year or two for personal finances) - I don’t know as a nation where Thailand stands on borrowings? It is levels of borrowings that will determine the speed of any bounce back. 

Also bearing in mind the anti vaxxers were a lead weight around the neck of all nations ability to respond well so strength of feeling in individual nations would have played a part too. 

I’m no fan of the junta (to head off the ‘apologist’ children) but what figures/reports would placate the doubters ? 

I am writing a couple of Iphone apps at the moment using IOS and Swift.

I am going to save lots of months in development time as I have decided to follow Thailand's lead and not bother doing any testing and assume all is OK, then release the apps and see what happens, fingers crossed.  🤣

56 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I am writing a couple of Iphone apps at the moment using IOS and Swift.

I am going to save lots of months in development time as I have decided to follow Thailand's lead and not bother doing any testing and assume all is OK, then release the apps and see what happens, fingers crossed.  🤣

Keep them on iPhone. I'm an Android sort of cove myself. 😀

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, farang said:

no wonder its dropping  as all these restrictions has totaly turned off any tourtist!!a big one is the crap insurance crap.next the hotel test and go where you are likely to go to another hotel for 7 to  10 days and pay an outragious amt for that not needed stay.then you have got the visa and pass crap to deal with and no one at the embassy returns calls or e mails.and wanting you to pre buy all this crap and flight before you even get approved!!and they wonder why no ones coming??i know im not and i have been staying each year six months for past 18 years and spending over 800,000 baht each year!! so open up and stop the crazy notion of attracting only ''super weathey'' your money is in every day tourtist!!

I think you are American and therefore considered wealthy. Not many American  begpackers but a few. Most come from the EU. Whether you're generous or not is up to you.

• Haha 1

Nobody wants to pay for a two or three weeks holiday after submitting covid free on entry and covid free on the test required on the first day only to find on the fifth day you are positive which you must have been contaminated in Thailand and now have to spend the rest of your holiday in quarantine paying around ten thousand baht a day. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Nobody wants to pay for a two or three weeks holiday after submitting covid free on entry and covid free on the test required on the first day only to find on the fifth day you are positive which you must have been contaminated in Thailand and now have to spend the rest of your holiday in quarantine paying around ten thousand baht a day. 

I have been waiting since August last year to go for a six or nine month trip to Thailand but I can't be bothered with all the paperwork and the possibility of being stuck in quarantine.

Like most other people I will wait, plus why would I want to go from a fully opened country like the UK to a country in partial lockdown?

On 2/8/2022 at 10:12 AM, Thaiger said:

Tourism revenue has plummeted across each of the 77 provinces, according to data from Thailand’s tourism ministry.

Wow and this branch of government is still being paid?  Tourism ministry needed a  furlough or reassignment 2 years ago and they still make the news with no real news at all .   

Just read the first entence and that is enough to tell me these people are not necessary. 

Tourist Data gathering during a pandemic is just laughable

On 2/9/2022 at 9:58 AM, Marvin said:

I’ll tell y’all what works. I just got back from Las Vegas and there communities are thriving. Just like here, in Dallas and other major cities in the USA. There entertainment Venus are thriving as well as there hotels attendance. There’s no pre COVID testing or on arrival testing. No mandated COVID insurance or other financial challenges blocking entry that cost as much as Thailand has made travelers spend - for a person or family to be on vacation. It’s about the money, mandates and other BS that’ goes along with it that’s deterring travel to Thailand. There even making it hard on their own people - sad. Who really wants to do all that? Not the majority,  I’ll tell you that based on your financial figures. We have learned to live with it that’s the difference just as other countries are doing. And yes mask mandates are still in affect when indoors. But who cares - we accepted it!! People have lost a lot all over the world this last 2 years. If countries around the globe are still imposing strict entry rules as Thailand is about spreading a virus that has become as normal now as the flu they will continue to plummet into financial and social disaster. The pandemic will be over when people just accept life the way it is and continue to move forward.

Thank You

Marvin

Might be a bit different when travelling nationally and internationally 

I know I'm biased and I desperately want to come back to Thailand but Australia the most tightly locked down,for 2 years,  country opens march. Omicron can't be stopped it seams ,all that happens is you delay it's end . Thailand have done very well ,if you believe the figures ,but their cases per day are going to be high,but hopefully hospital admissions low.They have to at least try to save their tourism sector 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:29 PM, ace035 said:

Absolutely, and now they start to complain and whine about it due to the fact that strict rules and restrictions too many false positive asymptomatic or mild symptoms on incoming tourists and got sent to the hospital whether you like it or not by pointing a gun on you and later to be scammed and ripping you off at the same time by telling you that you have to pay upfront because your COVID-19 insurance not covered so expect to pay between B150K-B300K of 10 days of quarantine in a hospital. That's the reason why everybody going to Philippines or Cambodia, no restrictions on PCR tests within 48 hours of departure.

Sounds like you need to check off Thailand from your places to visit. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 1:27 AM, Marc26 said:

A lot of Americans have a detachment from reality

Can you imagine submitting the US as some sort of success story with 1mil dead and 260p more dying each day

Delusional 

But it's on par with gun violence 

A portion of Americans don't value life..

We are a success story my friend 🇺🇸!!!

On 2/8/2022 at 10:12 AM, Thaiger said:

The Bangkok Post reports that income from both foreign and local tourism reached an historic low in 2021, dropping by nearly 70%

I know, I have a solution. Impose a 300 baht fee to all incoming tourists.  

On 2/9/2022 at 12:06 AM, Artemis080 said:

And in the US, there are more deaths from omicron now than from Alpha. And far more than flu.

Whereas, Thailand's death rate is quite low. I wonder what the differences might be? Could it be the different approach perhaps, and not the tom yum gai? 

People die everyday - that’s life, and I guarantee the 🇺🇸 government has taken better care of its people than a lot of other countries did during this pandemic. As of this week mask wearing is optional. 70% of the people in 🇺🇸 are vaccinated. We’re getting on with our lives.