News Forum - Police arrest man for allegedly stealing 4,900 euros from tourists in Phuket

Thaiger

Police arrested a man who allegedly stole 4,900 euros from a Greek family travelling in Phuket. The family had left nearly their cash in their car, thinking it would be more secure than their hotel room where there was no safe to lock anything away while the maid cleaned. The suspect allegedly told police he spent most of the money and only 500 euros is left. Reports say footage from a CCTV nearby the hotel showed pictures of a man wearing a black hoody and face mask walking around the car park and looking in the cars. Later, at around […]

The story Police arrest man for allegedly stealing 4,900 euros from tourists in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

18 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The suspect allegedly told police he spent most of the money and only 500 euros is left.

So they got the thieve. But will they ever get the rest of their money?

Do these Greek tourists always forget about large sums of money laying around? Sounds like this opportunist thief hit the jackpot with this family. I guess in some cases persistence pays off, for the thief and the CCTV watching police 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I was wrong about that .

I thought that it was a scam by the Greek family and the money didn't get stolen 

Unlikely to have been a scam - just simple stupidity.

C'mon 500 euros left?

Yeah by the time he showed the girlfriend who took a slice to keep her happy and then the Police took their slice of course there was only 500 Euros left.

Poor bugga probably got the least of the spoils.  

Think the Thai has a case to sue the Greek for his stupidity as it may result in his possible incarceration in a Thai prison.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeV said:

Just reading a few days worth of news from Phuket I can't figure why anyone would go there. So many nice places in the country.

Pshhhh, don't tell them, let them flock to Phuket and keep the good places good.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MikeV said:

Just reading a few days worth of news from Phuket I can't figure why anyone would go there. So many nice places in the country.

I went in 2017 during my first trip to Thailand and will never go back, didn't like it one bit.

31 minutes ago, Saunk said:

I went in 2017 during my first trip to Thailand and will never go back, didn't like it one bit.

Only reason I would have ever gone was for a sandbox and luckily I slipped in during early test and go.

It seems like a different country than what I know.

Edited by MikeV

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The family had left nearly their cash in their car, thinking it would be more secure than their hotel room where there was no safe to lock anything away while the maid cleaned.
{snipped}
The Greek tourist Alexandros Alexiadis, who is visiting Phuket with his family, drove his car to Karon Beach at around 5pm on January 25, visited the grocery store, went back to the hotel, and parked his car around 8pm that night. He forgot about the money and left the car unlocked.

First the Greek family thought their cash would be more secure in a car rather than in the room. Then they forgot to lock the car.
Oh dear!

In a way they were lucky to get ten percent of their money back. I wonder the thief spent 4,400 Euros (around 160,000 Baht) on in a couple of weeks? Surely not somtam.

37 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

In a way they were lucky to get ten percent of their money back. I wonder the thief spent 4,400 Euros (around 160,000 Baht) on in a couple of weeks? Surely not somtam.

New iPhone, new TV, visit Homepro...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saunk said:

Yet you still get involved commenting in Thai news? Time to move on perhaps to greener pastures perhaps 

In a country blanketed with CCTV it would seem nearly impossible to get away with any crime without being seen. Good police work finding this guy 👏👏👏