News Forum - Fire breaks out by Phuket viewpoint, 16 Thai and foreign visitors rescued

Thaiger

Around 16 locals and Thais were evacuated from a forest in Phuket after a fire broke out and spread quickly by the Laem Krating viewpoint by the Krating Cape. The flames blocked the exit and authorities had to send a boat to pick the tourists and others up at the bottom of the hill in Phuket’s Rawai district. Phuket authorities shared on the provincial public relations page on Facebook that fires happen at Laem Krating almost every year during the dry season and are sometimes caused by cigarettes dropped by tourists. The dried grass after days without rain, as well […]

The story Fire breaks out by Phuket viewpoint, 16 Thai and foreign visitors rescued as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I suppose it's a natural occurrence in the dry season. I have to say, this is a surprise to me. Bushfires in a country with so much rainfall. 

After only one week of no rain, the hills already are getting dry. That area around the viewpoint is mostly dry grass. Even from Black Rock, a bit higher up that hill, the sea side is often black from fire burning.

And with the weather forecast at hand, the weekend was the last chance that it could burn?

been happening the last few high season,more occupying,new builds and workers living in a area of mostly forestry,the narrow roads are also crumbling away, due to more traffic