News Forum - China proposes to donate two used submarines to Thai Navy after problems in purchase deal

Thaiger

The Royal Thai Navy is reportedly in talks with China about receiving two decommissioned military submarines. But apparently, the offer is on the table because there was a problem with ordering parts for the submarine currently being assembled by China for Thailand, according to the Bangkok Post. The used submarines would be used for training while Thailand waits for its initial order of Chinese-made submarines, which delivery may have to be postponed from next year until April 2024. The second-hand submarines need to be reconditioned before they can be used, according to Thai PBS, citing the Thai Navy. The Type […]

The story China proposes to donate two used submarines to Thai Navy after problems in purchase deal as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Second hand submarines that need “reconditioning” sounds like a money pit. 

Edited by Fanta
Changed refurbishment to reconditioning
  • Like 2

China made the offer to deliver the decommissioned submarines because the country had problems purchasing an engine from Germany for the submarine being made for the Thai navy. Apparently, the German supplier decided not to sell an engine to China because it would be used in a submarine to be sold in another country.

... and Thailand is such a threat compared with China?  Doesn't sound right.  Perhaps MWM filled out the paperwork wrong.

39 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Believe what you want..... If you think the CCP are being nice and really care about Thailand.... then I guess you'll keep believing it....

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Believe what you want..... If you think the CCP are being nice and really care about Thailand.... then I guess you'll keep believing it....

Yes. I will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not sure if they are nice or not but I do know that they care about Thailand, otherwise their Belt and Road Initiative wouldn't work.

• Like 2

The only thing that is FREE in this world is advise and it is worth exactly that.  Nothing.  This either comes with strings attached or they are worthless submarines that China was going to scrap and this is a way for them to junk them at not cost.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

The only thing that is FREE in this world is advise and it is worth exactly that.  Nothing.  This either comes with strings attached or they are worthless submarines that China was going to scrap and this is a way for them to junk them at not cost.  

Maybe where you're from, that's true. Maybe we aren't where you're from. 😃

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Maybe where you're from, that's true.

If something is "Free" it is either with strings attached, or what you received is worth exactly what you paid for it. NOTHING

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

If something is "Free" it is either with strings attached, or what you received is worth exactly what you paid for it. NOTHING

Yeah, you said that twice now. My comment stands.

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

... and Thailand is such a threat compared with China?  Doesn't sound right.  Perhaps MWM filled out the paperwork wrong.

Germany is also building submarines. Why should they sell equipment to China so that China can sell submarines to a third country cheaper than Germany can do?
If Thailand wants that german equipment, they can buy the subs in Germany.
If not, let China build and sell the submarines with Chinese build equipment.
Sounds like good businesspractice to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

I'm not sure if they are nice or not but I do know that they care about Thailand, otherwise their Belt and Road Initiative wouldn't work.

The belt and road indicative was also touted for Victoria in Australia. It has since been scrapped. I have absolutely no problem with the Chinese people (we have a large population in my country), it's the CCP I have issues with.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

The belt and road indicative was also touted for Victoria in Australia. It has since been scrapped. I have absolutely no problem with the Chinese people (we have a large population in my country), it's the CCP I have issues with.

I have absolutely no problem with Australian ppl. Personally I have many aus friends. However the military topic reminds me another topic  serveral months ago about Aus cancelled the submarines deal with France. Any comments or ideas about your government?

45 minutes ago, Alavan said:

Why should they sell equipment to China so that China can sell submarines to a third country cheaper than Germany can do?

MWM make their profit(s) regardless.  China has been buying German tech and equipment for a long time and on-sells valued added goods, like subs, cars, trains and aircraft worldwide.

If they are anything like old aircraft or cars the things will cost a fortune in parts just to keep going.several ex navy types have told me the waters around thailand are to shallow for submarines anyway.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The CPC has 110m members. Each of the members has at least two friends who arent members. The member has two parents. See where this is going? You cant separate the party from the people. Its naive.

Why do you think they have a 90+% approval rating?

28 minutes ago, harry1 said:

buy 1 get 2 free,,they must be desperate to get rid of them

Yeah, there's dozens of them just sitting at the bottom of the South China Sea, F35 spotting.😀

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

MWM make their profit(s) regardless.  China has been buying German tech and equipment for a long time and on-sells valued added goods, like subs, cars, trains and aircraft worldwide.

Yes, but China selling subs to another country is direct competition for German shipbuilding. Germany, France, UK, the Netherlands all build submarines, but probably more expensive due to labour costs.
germany may sell equipment for Chinese built and flagged submarines, but letting China export subs with German technology is against German interests (and maybe law).