News Forum - Mother of eye doctor killed at Bangkok zebra crossing calls for justice

Thaiger

Justice has been called out to Thailand’s traffic laws system by the mother of the doctor who was fatally hit by a police officer’s Ducati while walking on a zebra crossing in Bangkok’s Phaya Thai area. A petition was sent to a parliamentary law committee yesterday. The appeal was addressed to the House law committee by the mother of the ophthalmologist, Ratchanee Supawatjariyakul, and her lawyer, who wanted the panel to act as an impartial observer in the case. The mother said that she did not want the suspect cop to be held completely responsible for her daughter’s death because Thailand’s […]

The story Mother of eye doctor killed at Bangkok zebra crossing calls for justice as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4,000 baht fine is ridiculous when the minimum daily wage is 300 baht a day. And a 10,000 baht reward for taking photos is equally ludicrous when the maximum fine proposed is 4,000baht. Who pays the 6,000 baht difference? Expect to see a scam involving fake number plates attached to motorcycles to collect a reward. Lower the speed limits in built up areas and motion sensing speed cameras monitoring zebra crossings is a better solution and means the police will not be camped at a new feeding hole to “warn” people.

If the fine is 500 bath thats enough but enforce its not the fine thats will do the trick if there is a high chance they got stoped and have to pay things will change same thing with the helmet not give a free day of wearing no helmet pay the fine put on a helmet you not have one go buy one or leave your bike till you have 

• Like 1

Has a police officer EVER arrested someone for a zebra crossing violation? Whether the fine is set at 100 baht or 10,000 baht it won't make a difference with no enforcement.

A checkpoint (mostly to fine people for no helmet or driving license) is the only traffic enforcement I've ever seen in my 6 years of living and driving in Phuket. 

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The appeal was addressed to the House law committee by the mother of the ophthalmologist, Ratchanee Supawatjariyakul, and her lawyer, who wanted the panel to act as an impartial observer in the case.

Nice words, but why do I think, impartiality is the least, she want?

I think that she wants a counterweight to the police, investigating one of their own.

25 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Nice words, but why do I think, impartiality is the least, she want?

I think that she wants a counterweight to the police, investigating one of their own.

He’s been investigated and charged. There would be another louder social outcry if he got lesser charges than was expected. Now it is in the hands of the courts. imo, this guy is toast, as far as legally possible. The sentencing and subsequent civil case will be closely watched by everyone on both sides of the fence. Same as Isuzu Joe. 

Can't they send Ricky Gervais to Thailand for a few weeks with a truckload of cacti or bricks, whatever (see clip)

Ricky Gervais at a Zebra crossing (You Tube) Warning, he does not watch his language,  not even a bit.

I have an agreement with my Thai wife that when she drives I "fine" her as one would fine her when she drives in Europe.

So, recently, my wife was driving through Bangkok, there was a woman standing at a zebra crossing, I shouted: 10000 bath!

Why, she asked, with complete incomprehension.  She was still on the sidewalk.  Yes, I replied, but she intended to cross.  Well, intention to cross ... that is something that is incomprehensible to Thai.

In the end a whole discussion followed in which I explained to her that this lady did not dare to set foot on the street purely out of life preservation because she would certainly be hit by a car.  In Europe, and probably in several places in the world, this is heavily charged.  A fine of 10000 bath, because people do not stop at a zebra crossing for someone who intends to cross, I think is very normal and fair.

In my opinion, only one conviction is lawful for a collision on a pedestrian crossing with a fatal outcome: culpable homicide.

Edited by ERIKN

It seems to me that more innocent pedestrians or weaker road users in Thailand die as a result of a collision with a motor vehicle than people are killed by violence or by drug crime.  

(please comment if this is not true?)

Unfortunately, I see that the traffic criminals are hardly punished, while the violent criminals and drug criminals do not get off so mildly.