News Forum - Thai PM – “I will stay on as long as the law allows”

Thaiger

“I will stay on as long as the law allows. I am bound by the law, and cannot do anything at will.” Words from Thailand’s PM, Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday vowing that he will only stay on in the top job whilst the law allows him too. He also reminded reporters that there are two organic laws regarding elections in Thailand that still need to clear Parliament which could affect the outcome of the next general poll. The first amendment relates to the number of ‘constituency’ MPs that would increased from the current 350 to 400. The number of ‘list’ MPs […]

The story Thai PM – “I will stay on as long as the law allows” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That means that the Election Committee have already informed him of their result about how long this disgusting person can stay in power. Poor Thailand

If he cared one little bit about the Thai people he would have stated "he would stay if the people wanted him to remain as PM" but he didn't, which just goes to show the kind of person he is. Unfortunately for the people of Thailand this is what they have to deal with and without change things will not get better. 

• Cool 1

Thai PM – “I will stay on as long as the law allows”

An interesting and ambiguous statement; I wonder if he already knows his future and is trying to lay the groundwork for his departure?

I think that there are plenty of reasons to expect Prayut to go, and to go this year.

First, the constitution stipulates that a PM can only serve for eight years in total. Let me ask a question; does anyone think that Prayut and Co wanted that clause in the constitution? Or, put it there themselves? If not, and the answer is they didn't, then who had the power to see it inserted? I'll leave that thought in your hands.

Second, there will be a court case this year to adjudicate the 'Eight-Year' rule, and while I personally believe that Thai courts are above and beyond repute (no, seriously), others might think that their verdict is up for grabs. Who might influence a court? I'll leave that thought in your hands.

Third, Thailand, especially in the upper ranks of its public rulers, traditionally practices a rotational system of leadership whereby the top job is usually taken by a person close to retirement age so that many others will have the opportunity to have it as well. Anyone notice that National Police Chiefs tend to be 58-59 years old? Anyone notice that Army Chiefs tend to be 58-59 years old? Anyone think that is a coincidence? Prayut and the other two have been in the top jobs for eight years; anyone think that some underlings would like to see the back of them AND have the ear of decision-makers? I'll leave that thought in your hands.

Fourth, Prayut and his cronies simply aren't liked anymore. Yes, I hate to say it, but there were Thai people (and a few monumentally idiotic foreigners) who admired 'Strong Leadership', but that ship has sailed. I believe that it would be possible for a united Establishment to put Prayut back in power for another four years, but does anyone think that the Establishment is in favour of Prayut and company entrenching themselves further? I'll leave that thought in your hands.

I could go on, but if you still think that Prayut and his cronies will continue then I can't help you.

The Thai people are getting restless. The Thai parties are getting restless and demonstrating that by their fluctuating attendance in Parliament. The international community is getting restless; anyone recall Prayut's invitation to the Democracy Summit? Thai business is getting restless; they are smart enough to see that an entrenched military presence in the Kingdom's top job doesn't help their bottom line. The students are restless and can only be slapped by Thai laws for so long until they explode. Tourism-related business/workers need to blame someone, and they blame Prayut (in my experience). Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think everyone is tired of him, but the "Thai Way" requires that he get the boot in a 'face-saving' way.

Look for the lawsuit coming later this year ordering him out of the PM's chair, swiftly followed by a Royal Appointment to preserve appearances/face.

Elections are coming in late Fall; things are going to get interesting...

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see if there is an uptick in criminal charges against opposition members to remove them from the running. 

Edited by Fanta
Replaced comment as already said.

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

That means that the Election Committee have already informed him of their result about how long this disgusting person can stay in power. Poor Thailand

Apparently so if it is saying he has only been in 3 years out of the 8. Not a big surprise but one that is through and through crooked, dishonest and disgusting. No wonder with him and his cronies at the helm this country scored 110 out of 180 countries dropping yet another 6 places on the corruption meter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Anyone notice that National Police Chiefs tend to be 58-59 years old? Anyone notice that Army Chiefs tend to be 58-59 years old.

You're drawing a parallel there that simply doesn't exist, here or anywhere else in the world for any number of reasons.

The police and the military, pretty well universally, are promotion-based systems where the only way to the top is through the ranks - or at least the officer ranks.

There are no 'short cuts' and there's minimal scope for late / lateral entry so even the fastest 'fast track' entry still has to be of a certain age.

Throw in that promotion too early will either mean that they remain in post until retirement age, which could be many years which isn't healthy and limits the opportunities for those underneath, or that they have to retire young after a set maximum period in post as there's nowhere else for them to go, and it's inevitable that they're in that age bracket everywhere.

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Seems odd that they keep on flip changing the election laws here. Does anyone know why?

It happens whenever the constitution gets re-written.

Another coup = another constitution.

Another government after a coup = another constitution.

10 hours ago, BillO said:

When you’re the law that’s a long time! 

President For Life = Emperor. Xi. Putin. Jung. Lukasshenko. Becoming a trend now….

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

It happens whenever the constitution gets re-written.

Another coup = another constitution.

Another government after a coup = another constitution.

Yeah thank you. Understand what they do and why they do it. I wrote it as sarcasm. Cheers! 

On 2/6/2022 at 12:38 AM, oldschooler said:

President For Life = Emperor. Xi. Putin. Jung. Lukasshenko. Becoming a trend now….

Long live the emperor