Flying Drone in Thailand

Bob_Beever

Folks,

Wondering if anyone could help with the following or share your experience:

1. Do I need to have a drone pilot license to fly recreationally? Does it depend on the weight of the drone?

2. What are the steps to get a license?

3. Is it required to register a drone? 

4. any information on flying regulations, i.e. airspaces, etc.

Thanks,

-Bob

Drone with Camera need to be registrated, even the Mavic Mini or the old Spark or whatever has a cam and can fly!

Registration needs insurance. Thai insurance is expensiv.

Registration is (usually) done, online

CAAT:

https://uav.caat.or.th/

Or, if in Bangkok and you have trouble, CAAT is in IT Square Laksi, near Don Muang

NBTC:

http://region1.nbtc.go.th/PublicNews/Online-Drone-Registration-with-NBTC.aspx

That's it.

Honestly, I am flying for years, my drones have been and are registered, but not even the officer, asking if that is fun and looking on my phones display, was asking for a registration!

But on the other hand, I got told "1000 baht fine" was needed for a fellow drone pilot.

Which is cheap, compared to the possible fines. No receipt, of course! ;-)

47 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Drone with Camera need to be registrated, even the Mavic Mini or the old Spark or whatever has a cam and can fly!

Registration is (usually) done, online

CAAT:

https://uav.caat.or.th/

Or, if in Bangkok and you have trouble, CAAT is in IT Square Laksi, near Don Muang

NBTC:

http://region1.nbtc.go.th/PublicNews/Online-Drone-Registration-with-NBTC.aspx

That's it.

Honestly, I am flying for years, my drones have been and are registered, but not even the officer, asking if that is fun and looking on my phones display, was asking for a registration!

But on the other hand, I got told "1000 baht fine" was needed for a fellow drone pilot.

Which is cheap, compared to the possible fines. No receipt, of course! ;-)

This looks quite doable. I am bringing my Skydio in June. Thanks for the info.

Bring an insurance and a written confirmation of it, they want a picture of it in the CAAT Registration process. Just photos with the phone for uploading it will do.

Actually, the NBTC online process is new to me. I still had to go to an NBTC office, they did all their copies themselves. So can't tell, if they wanna anything else, now, as Drone, passport, form filled out and signs ;-)

• Like 1

What the **** is this all about?  Do all the kite flying buffs, of which there's probably more of, have to be registered. Where I live we get military planes, and helicopters, flying so low it's a wonder kites aren't banned. And as of this month it'll get worse with 'Cobra Gold' taking place.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm wondering what are the rules for bringing a drone into Thailand with no intention of flying?

I'm planning a holiday to the UK in the summer, and probably stopping by Bangkok for a few days. I will be bringing my Mavic 2 Pro to drone in UK, but I have no intention of flying it in Thailand.

Can I bring the drone into Bangkok without a license?

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process to register the drone with NBTC and it seems that if you not register it in the 30 days you bought it, there will be a fine to pay... 

There will be fines arising from possession of drones without registration for more than 30 days. Contact to Radio Communications Licensing Office 1, Tel. 0 2670 8888 or Call Center 1200

On 2/4/2022 at 11:56 PM, Guest1 said:

@Guest1are you insured? Can you tell us where and how much? Thanks

I'm about to give up and just throw away this drone i never used...

NBTC don't want the insurance, imho. They just register the radio transmitter, so to speak. But last time I did that, it was still walk in, now it is also online, I think.

My insurance is from an insurer in my home country, offering world wide cover, giving out emails with this information, so I could send a copy to CAAT.

In case you still have an adress in your home country, I'd say you best start checking options in your home country, often part of other (useful to have) insurance packages. 

19 hours ago, Guest1 said:

NBTC don't want the insurance, imho. They just register the radio transmitter, so to speak. But last time I did that, it was still walk in, now it is also online, I think.

But CAAT want it so we need it anyway.

Unfortunately no address outside Thailand.

For now cheaper insurance i found is https://www.falcon4life.com/product/DroneInsurance (not sure we can share links on this forum), have to apply max 2 months after you bought the drone, too late for me :)

Edited by Billy_Bob

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I would guess that the fines for not having it registered in 30 would only apply if you bought the drone in Thailand, I have a drone that I bought years ago in Australia and took it to Thailand with me and was never questioned about it. Saying that I only flew it a handful of times.