News Forum - Another day, another data breach: Thai students’ data hacked, sold on dark web

Thaiger

The personal information of over 23,000 students has been stolen as a result of the Thai University Central Admission System being hacked. According to a Bangkok Post report, the security breach has been confirmed by the Council of University Presidents of Thailand. It’s understood the data, which pertains to over 23,000 students who took part in last year’s exams, has been sold on the dark web. It includes names, grades, and identity card information. CUPT says the stolen data is part of 826,250 files in the TCAS database and was entered into the system during the third round of exams […]

The story Another day, another data breach: Thai students’ data hacked, sold on dark web as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

TECHNOLOGY

Another day, another data breach: Thai students’ data hacked, sold on dark web

Not according to the original source report in the Bangkok Post, which is very clear that the data was almost certainly not 'hacked' but simply 'leaked' by a member of staff.

Yet another appalling piece of  re-writing and mis-representation of the news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Not according to the original source report in the Bangkok Post, which is very clear that the data was almost certainly not 'hacked' but simply 'leaked' by a member of staff.

Yet another appalling piece of  re-writing and mis-representation of the news.

Yeah, like a mistake of someone accidently putting their finger on the keyborad send button and saying - oopsie!

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah, like a mistake of someone accidently putting their finger on the keyborad send button and saying - oopsie!

Yes, there's a bit of a difference between 'hacked' and 'leaked'.

A few years ago I got tired of just hanging up when I got a telesalesman trying to sell me life insurance so I asked him where he'd got my name and number from, and the half-wit not only told me he'd been given it by his girlfriend at BUPA but he told me her name!

No hacking or data leak involved!

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Or saying, Sold!

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The personal information of over 23,000 students has been stolen as a result of the Thai University Central Admission System being hacked. According to a Bangkok Post report, the security breach has been confirmed by the Council of University Presidents of Thailand. It’s understood the data, which pertains to over 23,000 students who took part in last year’s exams, has been sold on the dark web. It includes names, grades, and identity card information. CUPT says the stolen data is part of 826,250 files in the TCAS database and was entered into the system during the third round of exams […]

The story Another day, another data breach: Thai students’ data hacked, sold on dark web as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Students data? whatever for?