News Forum - Deputy PM vows stricter punishments for traffic violators following fatal crosswalk accident

Thaiger

Following the deadly crosswalk accident where a police officer struck a pedestrian with his Ducati motorcycle, Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwan ordered harsher legal punishments for traffic violators in a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, although it has not yet been announced exactly what the punishments will be. He also called for providing info online about violators’ histories and past offences and recording their behaviours. Lastly, he called for safe crosswalk measures and educating people about safe road crossings. Prawit plans for stopping lines and warning signs to be implemented ahead of crosswalks. There will also be pedestrian lights for when pedestrians […]

The story Deputy PM vows stricter punishments for traffic violators following fatal crosswalk accident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Punishments are after the fact. It needs to be about prevention. A far better driver training program to even get a license. Although I am glad a spotlight is being shone on this issue. These deaths would not be for nothing if a greater good can be achieved.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

My first week in Thailand 15 yrs ago I was almost mowed down at a Tesco Lotus. 

There are never enough cashiers at Lotus's's's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember this is Land of Smiles …

‘All they do to follow laws and regulations is ….

……….  Pay it Lip Service !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harry1 said:

half the drivers dont even have a drivers license ,let alone knowledge of the rules,perhaps DPM Prawit could start there

I don't think that having a driving license in Thailand makes you a good driver, the test is a total farce, infact the only experience one woman had that got her driving license was watching a YouTube video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, harry1 said:

half the drivers dont even have a drivers license ,let alone knowledge of the rules, perhaps DPM Prawit could start there

Too true, @harry1 and don't get me started on the Thai Highway Code debate, especially which side you should drive on, on a dual carriageway, with I reckon still over 50% of Thais keeping to the right, or inner lane, and totally unaware of faster traffic needing to 'undertake' them on their left . . . little wonder that there are so many big shunts at U-turns!

• Like 2

Perhaps if the police got out of their air-conditioned little stations and actually enforced traffic regulations things might be different.  Hard to make a difference on the street just sitting in a chair all day.