300 tourism businesses given SHA Plus certification in Phuket

Thaiger

Part of the much-debated Phuket Sandbox reopening is guests must stay in SHA Plus-certified hotels, and the Tourism Authority of Thailand just gave certification for more than 300 tourism-related businesses on the island. The Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration Plus Certificate was presented to the businesses yesterday, and those establishments will now display the SHA Plus logo, assuring international travellers of their safety. The SHA Plus symbol shows customers that the business has been certified to be adhering to all public health measures set up for Covid-19 safety and that 70% of employees have been fully vaccinated as part […]

The post 300 tourism businesses given SHA Plus certification in Phuket appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

14 days for fully vaccinated travellers is going to put tourists off going to Thailand. May as well wait till later when the herd immunity kicks in and there is no quarantine and free travel. For a Nation that relies heavily on tourists, some more consideration for the rules is needed to get tourists back, not make them travel elsewhere. It won't do your economy any favours or help the mum and dad businesses that rely on tourists. hope things change soon.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tezza1971 said:

. . . hope things change soon.

Sure, but don't hold your breath!

Hello, Tezza1971 and welcome to T-T.

Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

Happy posting!

KC

But Pons guest house at $7 a night is not included right?

The hotels have to have the additional title of Spa, or Resort,, and a good supply of brown envelopes.

• Haha 2

I am very skeptical over both the likely success of the Phuket 'sandbox', or that the Thai Govt (either Bangkok or Phuket) will not suddenly change the rules.  It is obvious why many tourists will not travel to Phuket in July, but if what happened to the 'golf quarantine' holidays (they changed things several times), then it will all come unstuck. 

I believe most tourists will wait until things have been in place and settled down for a month or three, before they commit to booking/paying for hotels and airfares to Phuket.  Foreign people who are very keen to get back to Thailand (such as those with family/property there) will use the Phuket sandbox to then go into other places in Thailand.  That is one of the reasons why they are requiring the airfares and hotel bookings to be paid in advance before an 'entry certificate' will be provided.  They want to stop a person arriving and then a day or two later sneak over to the mainland via a private boat etc. But some might be prepared to pay those costs and still sneak out.  So many other things can go wrong and the whole thing be shut down suddenly.  No way I would risk being forced to stay in my hotel/room if there is an outbreak. And at this time of year the weather is not the best. And not much is open. And no alcohol can be sold. And masks are mandatory. And .... many other negatives.

And even though the hotel I stay at has SHA+ Certificate (70% inoculated), there is no reason to think I will not be close to one of the 30% (will they wear a sign?). Will the Hotel because of demand, then employ more people, and 1 or more of them have not been inoculated? I guarantee they will not manage staff inoculation levels once they get their 'certificate' - it is Thailand folks and they dont manage things over there (not like in the West). Likewise, if I travel all over the island, which is not fully inoculated, there is no reason to believe I will not be close to someone that has not been inoculated - and there are still new positive test results on Phuket every day.  Although getting Covid and maybe being sick is likely to be not as bad for me, that is not the problem. The problem is that I will test positive, and then be locked away in a 'medical facility' (not the Hotel) - all at my own expense. The  SHA+ Hotels should be 100% and the whole island should be minimum of 70% - that is how herd immunity works. Herd immunity does not work inside one building/hotel - DUH.

I hope the Phuket authorities realise that if they stick with the plan and get very proactive about inoculating every single person on the island (make it mandatory) and put in place things to stop people doing the wrong thing, THAN if after 2-3 months things on Phuket are still good, THEN tourists will start to come in September/October. If they dont control things and it all goes pear shaped, then it will be April/May 2022 before tourists come back to Thailand in any serious numbers.

As I have said in other posts, Covid is not going away until early/mid 2022. Surges in Covid are now being experiences all over SEAsia, when they had it all under control - or so they thought. But as I have said for a while - you cannot stop a highly infectious virus through social and economic impositions - you can only slow it down and reduce the number of infections and deaths. Herd immunity was always the answer and is the only answer.  Spanish Flu lasted for almost 3 years worldwide - nothing indicates that Covid will not do the same. Except that the lockdowns etc have significantly reduced the death rates before the herd immunity kicks in. Inoculations will help speed herd immunity up - but with many people refusing to take them, and infections travelling all over the globe way faster than back in 1918 (Spanish Flu), Covid will mutate and survive like all highly infectious viruses do (like Influenza A and B).   

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Jts said:

What is a good website to find all Sha hotels? (And compare prices..)

Hello Jts and welcome to T-T!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

Regarding your SHA Plus certification hotels query, try this website . . . 

https://thaiest.com/blog/phuket-sandbox-hotels-list-sha-plus

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

As someone that is old, but not fat and hopefuylly without any serious illness, I do hope that you dont mean you dont care if I get Covid. Yes it is something that is only serious for certain groups and not a problem for others, but when a fitter and very well older relative (69) caught it and ended up in ICU for 3 days, I changed my mind about the need to impose restrictions. 

I agree with the Doc - until any receiving or sending country has at least 70% inoculated fully for at least a month, then all travel in and out of those countries should be  stopped.  So far Covid has killed about 3 and a half million, and that is way more than Influenza kills - despite all the lockdowns and impositions, Covid has been deadly.  Not as deadly as they first said it would be for sure, but serious enough to warrant the impositions. You cannot stop a virus - but you can slow its spread - and as shown in Thailand a new surge can happen very quickly no matter how good things have been. It only takes 1 to spread it to others on and on and on.

Aussies are the fifth fattest people in the the world of 200 countries.

I was in western Australia and the exception was a normal weight person. I have never seen so many lard asses anywhere.

They will die of it.

• Cool 1

10 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Aussies are the fifth fattest people in the the world of 200 countries.

I was in western Australia and the exception was a normal weight person. I have never seen so many lard asses anywhere.

They will die of it.

Yes I am fitter/slimmer than most here - but I am in the 'normal' BMA range.  

I think you will find that is the case in most western countries, especially those below 50 and especially the women. The problem is diet and laziness - Maccas, Coke and other junk food providers love them.  Dont be surprised if in the future they are all sued for the damage their products are doing - like tobacco companies have been.  They know their food is bad and they still sell their rubbish - Supersize Me and so many other shows and studies have proved that their food is slowly killing people - like tobacco. Personally I would ban them  - they created obesity in the western world - didnt exist in the 70s - only rare cases - now it is endemic.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

After the 14 Days of a SHA Plus hotel, are we allowed to book places to stay in Phuket through Airbnb, vrbo, etc? 

If not, can we book Airbnb stays in other provinces?

The SHA Plus Hotel prices are not very reasonable for a long term vacation.

8 hours ago, RobertLewis said:

can we book Airbnb stays in other provinces?

Hi, RobertLewis and welcome to T-T!

Sorry, I can't help towards answering your query, but would recommend you addressing it to @DPat and @KaptainRob . . . they know most of that sort of info.

Happy posting

King Cotton

8 hours ago, RobertLewis said:

After the 14 Days of a SHA Plus hotel, are we allowed to book places to stay in Phuket through Airbnb, vrbo, etc? 

If not, can we book Airbnb stays in other provinces?

The SHA Plus Hotel prices are not very reasonable for a long term vacation.

After 14 days on Phuket and -ve testing, you may travel to other covid free zones (refer Gov advice and colour coded charts) and stay wherever you like so long as you report in via the appropriate App.

I'd refrain from booking AirBnB until the last minute as there is plenty of availability.

• Thanks 1