News Forum - Greek travellers in Phuket claim 200,000 baht in cash was stolen from their car

Thaiger

I take about 50k cash for spending money for a 2 week trip and then will use ATM if I need more

I used to use the ATM but I found I actually spend a lot less taking cash and changing it every few days I need it

It makes me more aware at how much I am spending, vs just getting 20k baht from ATM and then going back when I need more......

Not really buying the story, wouldn't be surprised to see a gofundme or other fundraiser pop up 

How can someone leave 200k baht in a car, in cash, and leave it unlocked? 

Maid cleaning a room doesn't take that long, they could have just waited in the lobby or in their car. 

13 hours ago, Nivram said:

Why take do much cash with you and live with the anxiety of it being stolen.

It's really not that much cash... I was carrying more when I came here from the USA... it fit in my wallet not problem.

8 hours ago, Nivram said:

HELLO,

No one mentioned Traveler's Checks for safety.

You don't need a bank account.

Cash them when needed.

TCs are not very comfortable to use. I use a prepaid Credit Card to get cash abroad. Can recommend the VISA card issued by WISE, they don't overcharge when you get money from an ATM. I also have - as a backup - the CC from my bank which I don't carry with me when going out, so if something happens with one card, there is still another. Lots of cash like this Greek family is not my preference for security reasons. 

• Like 1

WISE is great for transferring money abroad if you have a foreign bank account.  Funds arrive in under 20 seconds if you use ACH with your domestic bank account.

18 hours ago, Nivram said:

Who takes so much cash with them on a vacation

- Use traveler's checks or,

- Cash Advances from a credit card.

Traveller checks are long gone 

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

TCs are not very comfortable to use. I use a prepaid Credit Card to get cash abroad. Can recommend the VISA card issued by WISE, they don't overcharge when you get money from an ATM. I also have - as a backup - the CC from my bank which I don't carry with me when going out, so if something happens with one card, there is still another. Lots of cash like this Greek family is not my preference for security reasons. 

There is no prepaid credit card. 

prepaid and debit cards (difference is debit is locked to a bank account)

3 hours ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

There is no prepaid credit card. 

prepaid and debit cards (difference is debit is locked to a bank account)

Ok, right. Still it's a VISA card but yes, sorry for being a wee bit sloppy expressing myself, technically it is a debit card. 

The story should be rounded out more as it was reported a few days ago. The guy wanted to leave it in the complex safe, but staff said he could not, but did warn him about leaving it in the room. He told them that he would lock in the car. Then magically, the car gets broken into...

So he informs the hotel staff that he has money, the staff advises him to "put the money in the car". He puts money in the car, knowing that everyone knows about his money, then forgets to lock the car with the money and goes for a walk?

Next time, I advise him to put a note on the windshield of the car: "Please don't steal my money hidden in this car's glove compartment". This will keep his money safe. 

23 hours ago, danpeter said:

Helps to explain why Greece is in the state it is, a cash economy where few pay taxes. They can look at it as a learning experience, keep money in bank & be good honest tax paying citizens in future

This incident helps to explain about Greece?! Glad to see things are "explained" for you.

Here's a hint: this incident says a lot more about Phuket ("sir, no safe in room, safe in the reception mei dai, not work" --> the nth theft), than about this Greek traveler (let alone Greece).

On 2/3/2022 at 2:50 PM, Leo said:

This incident helps to explain about Greece?! Glad to see things are "explained" for you.

Here's a hint: this incident says a lot more about Phuket ("sir, no safe in room, safe in the reception mei dai, not work" --> the nth theft), than about this Greek traveler (let alone Greece).

Thanks Leo, I think if you took a second to think of the context the light would have clicked. Greeks travelling will do as they do at home. In this case carry large sums of cash to make transactions. Had they travelled like most normal people in 2022 they would use other means of payments, credit cards, perhaps atm withdrawal or even traveler cheques if they were bent on cash like payments. Totally irrelevant the safe was not working in this case 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, ctxa said:

Taxation is theft. Specially the way it works in Europe. 

He sure had a specific purchase in mind, he was on holiday for christ's sake! You need money while on holiday and you also tend to not have an account at a local bank where you can deposit the cash! 

After the 2007 crisis in Europe, lots of companies went bankrupt, and the owners of said companies as well meaning they are now in debt, so all they can do is use cash. 

Sure, believe that next time you are in hospital and needing emergency medical treatment. Unless your American of course