News Forum - Thai government sets up “fake news centres” to combat misinformation

Thaiger

A government spokesman has confirmed the formation of new centres dedicated to dealing with “fake news” on social media. Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana says the centres will be created at 3 different levels to coordinate efforts to combat the spread of misinformation. According to a Bangkok Post report, the Cabinet has already approved a draft regulation submitted by the PM’s Office. “The draft will serve as a guide to deal with fake news, particularly information which creates social divisions, ruins the country’s reputation and damages the economy.” Thanakorn says the new centres will integrate efforts to tackle the spread of fake news, […]

The story Thai government sets up “fake news centres” to combat misinformation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

The wish to systematically counteract fake news is understandable, but there's a very real danger that genuine yet politically undesirable content also gets suppressed (even more so if responsibility is distributed across all ministries and all provinces).

It takes a bit more time, but it would be so much better if all students were trained in media and information literacies, enabling them to recognize fake news and find actual/additional facts. However, that would instill a level of critical thinking & information source independency which is (*cough*) "not exactly" part of Thai culture.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

The wish to systematically counteract fake news is understandable, but there's a very real danger that genuine yet politically undesirable content also gets suppressed (even more so if responsibility is distributed across all ministries and all provinces).

It takes a bit more time, but it would be so much better if all students were trained in media and information literacies, enabling them to recognize fake news and find actual/additional facts. However, that would instill a level of critical thinking & information source independency which is (*cough*) "not exactly" part of Thai culture.

Valid points, @Chatogaster! Maybe your closure (italicised) will be reflected in the Education Department's syllabus improvements . . . whenever they may be planned and, more crucially, implemented.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Valid points, @Chatogaster! Maybe your closure (italicised) will be reflected in the Education Department's syllabus improvements . . . whenever they may be planned and, more crucially, implemented.

I reckon the implementation (or interpretation) is the crux. As early as 2008, the curriculum considered this a key target competence:

• Capacity for analytical, synthetic, constructive, critical and systematic thinking, leading to creation of bodies of knowledge or information for judicious decision-making regarding oneself and society. 

That comes pretty close to (or is at least a start of) what I had in mind, but it's now 2022 and I'm not impressed by the results.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

I reckon the implementation (or interpretation) is the crux. As early as 2008, the curriculum considered this a key target competence:

• Capacity for analytical, synthetic, constructive, critical and systematic thinking, leading to creation of bodies of knowledge or information for judicious decision-making regarding oneself and society. 

That comes pretty close to (or is at least a start of) what I had in mind, but it's now 2022 and I'm not impressed by the results.

Absolutely . . . in a word! And it's that 'thinking' word that's the crux of the crux.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The draft will serve as a guide to deal with fake news, particularly information which creates social divisions, ruins the country’s reputation and damages the economy

Just in time for the next Thai Election?

I will be interested to read the regulation, however it seems a “big show” for potential little gain, unless they intend to block social media sites, VPNs etc. They would do better to invest the spending in developing and implementing a coordinated communications plan.

Covid-19 has shown up how hard it is with 78 Provinces, each making their own announcements, often contradictory or confusing, on top of the Federal Government statements. It has only caused greater confusion in my opinion. Additionally, spokespeople have differed in their approach adding to the pot, let alone the Politicians making somewhat silly pronouncements at times.

Getting their own house in order first may be better than looking at others. After all, if the populace feels informed by the Government, and it is seen as fair and balanced, why would they look elsewhere for information that may contradict their position and be termed "fake".

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

They could start by teaching every Thai student to read the Bangkok Post. One of the more reputable rags in circulation.

Is it? I'd hate to read the rest.............

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

Wondering if they could actually define fake news or misinformation....and give examples.

Just asking like.

Will be interesting to see the definition for sure. One person's real news is often another's fake news!😁

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Will be interesting to see the definition for sure.

Oh, one can imagine it would be very vague with constant evolving interpretations...

One person's real news is often another's fake news!

...and it is when one is called "fake" by the other, when really it is simply a different interpretation due to different opinions, that freedom of speech is replaced by fanaticism and authoritarianism.

14 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

A future Thai Joe Rogan cannot be allowed....

Typical liberal response, silence all that doesn't tow the line. 

13 hours ago, Rain said:

Wondering if they could actually define fake news or misinformation....and give examples.

Just asking like.

ie Test and go is no quarantine 😁

13 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Will be interesting to see the definition for sure. One person's real news is often another's fake news!😁

It will surely descend into pantomime, as for some reason my mind went off to this:

Oh yes, it is!
Oh no it's not!
Is!
Isn't!
What do you think boys and girls?

• Haha 1