News Forum - Hotels now required to confirm paid room bookings and PCR tests with government

Thaiger

As part of the revamped Test & Go entry scheme, hotels are now required to confirm Thailand Pass bookings within 30 hours or applications will be rejected automatically. According to a Bangkok Post report, hotels must verify room bookings and PCR test appointments with the Foreign Ministry in order for a Thailand Pass application to be approved. Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, says the new rule has been introduced to ensure the testing requirement is being met in all cases. “The re-opening of the Test & Go scheme depends on monitoring 100% of the PCR results, […]

The story Hotels now required to confirm paid room bookings and PCR tests with government as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Only really impacts returning residents or “tourists” staying with family or friends , regular tourists will only be inconvenienced by the cost of day 5 test, and potential impact of possible infection and the consequences. For me the infection risk would keep a lot of people away, for us residents a few sniffles and a Positive RAT test at home means self isolation and self medication. A return to some kind of normality remains some way off, which does not bode well for Easter and Songkraan , the last hope for businesses to generate some cash flow ahead of low season......some may not make it....very sad!

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Only really impacts returning residents or “tourists” staying with family or friends , regular tourists will only be inconvenienced by the cost of day 5 test, and potential impact of possible infection and the consequences. For me the infection risk would keep a lot of people away, for us residents a few sniffles and a Positive RAT test at home means self isolation and self medication. A return to some kind of normality remains some way off, which does not bode well for Easter and Songkraan , the last hope for businesses to generate some cash flow ahead of low season......some may not make it....very sad!

Well, it can also seriously impede people trying to get their Thailand passes. If the hotel does not respond within a 30 hour period then the pass will be canceled. Not to mention if the government does not input the data in a timely matter then a lot of passes could be unduly canceled 

• Like 2

Maybe it would be better, to risk some more Omicron, but having much more Tourists. All the needed interdependent bookings ahead of applying for a visa make it  very complicated and risky for travelers now. I hope it will change soon.

Another thing is the due to wear a mask outdoor. No Tourist want to get those ugly tan lines in the face.

The Omicron incidence is so very low in Thailand, so: why?

6 minutes ago, Ksmui said:

Well, it can also seriously impede people trying to get their Thailand passes. If the hotel does not respond within a 30 hour period then the pass will be canceled. Not to mention if the government does not input the data in a timely matter then a lot of passes could be unduly canceled 

It also affects PCR test and flight bookings ... travellers frustrations will multiply exponentially.

Sandbox is the way to go, not this T&G stupidity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

hhahahaah thai government obviously want to destroy thai people's business opportunities.

People ridiculed me in these forums and on BP forums for saying this exact thing only 2 months ago, that the economy/tourism sector has been purposefully sabotaged....now it is obvious. Had to get to this insane point for people to finally wake up to the fact that this is not "incompetance", this is intentional economic annhilation of the lower Thai classes. Very sad, and pathetic what has become of the country that I considered my heart and soul. I pray for these poor people who are hurtling through hoops through absurd, confusing mandates and dictums that are destroying the foundation of their lives. The absurdity does have a silver lining though - I can see a sea change in the comments from a year ago or so to now in terms of public opinion. And it is clear that fewer ex-pats in Thailand or former ex-pats believe the official narrative in it's totality at this juncture. Its bizarre to me that in Northern Thailand (CR) for most of 2020, and beginning of 2021 we had no restrictions. I taught in a private school in-person, didn't have to wear masks. I frequented bars. The only place i wore a mask was Central or 7-11. Yet now --- the restrictions are crippling the country to the point where no one in their right minds will want to visit anymore. It will also push out any remaining ex-pats with any desire to retain their individual freedom. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

It also affects PCR test and flight bookings ... travellers frustrations will multiply exponentially.

Sandbox is the way to go, not this T&G stupidity.

How is Sandbox that much better?

It's extremely frustrating to book with hotels directly. Staff either take too long to respond, or seem clueless about what is happening. I would be surprised if the imposed 30 hrs deadline does not cause more inconveniences.

• Like 1

I read a low of moaning and whining here but very little in the Thai newspapers or TV.  This is strictly about foreigners who want to visit. Most Thais couldn't care less and are thankful they are safe from covid , although there have been recent surges.

It looks like the falangs will complain about everything. Don't worry be happy.

31 minutes ago, resetamy said:

People ridiculed me in these forums and on BP forums for saying this exact thing only 2 months ago, that the economy/tourism sector has been purposefully sabotaged....now it is obvious. Had to get to this insane point for people to finally wake up to the fact that this is not "incompetance", this is intentional economic annhilation of the lower Thai classes. Very sad, and pathetic what has become of the country that I considered my heart and soul. I pray for these poor people who are hurtling through hoops through absurd, confusing mandates and dictums that are destroying the foundation of their lives. The absurdity does have a silver lining though - I can see a sea change in the comments from a year ago or so to now in terms of public opinion. And it is clear that fewer ex-pats in Thailand or former ex-pats believe the official narrative in it's totality at this juncture. Its bizarre to me that in Northern Thailand (CR) for most of 2020, and beginning of 2021 we had no restrictions. I taught in a private school in-person, didn't have to wear masks. I frequented bars. The only place i wore a mask was Central or 7-11. Yet now --- the restrictions are crippling the country to the point where no one in their right minds will want to visit anymore. It will also push out any remaining ex-pats with any desire to retain their individual freedom. 

The businesses being destroyed are mostly bars and entertainment places because people don't follow the rules. It pretty much self destruction. 7

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I read a low of moaning and whining here but very little in the Thai newspapers or TV.  This is strictly about foreigners who want to visit. Most Thais couldn't care less and are thankful they are safe from covid , although there have been recent surges.

They're only happy when they're unhappy. More moaning means they are at the point of ecstasy! 😄

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

As part of the revamped Test & Go entry scheme, hotels are now required to confirm Thailand Pass bookings within 30 hours or applications will be rejected automatically. According to a Bangkok Post report, hotels must verify room bookings and PCR test appointments with the Foreign Ministry in order for a Thailand Pass application to be approved. Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, says the new rule has been introduced to ensure the testing requirement is being met in all cases. “The re-opening of the Test & Go scheme depends on monitoring 100% of the PCR results, […]

The story Hotels now required to confirm paid room bookings and PCR tests with government as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It prevents work around by those not wanting to follow the rules. This group has done it to themselves.

31 minutes ago, resetamy said:

I sadly have to agree. Have just returned from a 3 week journey to Thailand. If it wouldn't have been to finally catch up with the friends and family of my Thai wife, I would have refrained from going there. Getting the Thai Pass application done took me about 1 hr. Lodged our applications on 25.12., departure to be on 7.1.. My wife got her Thai Pass one day later, I got a "rejection" because on my hotel receipt the airport transfer was missing on 5.1., two days prior to the departure (needless to say that the very same receipt was submitted for my wife's application which was approved almost instanteanously). Got the Hotel to send me an updated receipt and had to completely redo the whole application - less than two days before departure. Got the approval after one day, but I could have well done without this hassle.

I think you have a point here: this whole thing is set up to pretend they want to get tourism back up and running, but with this cumbersome application process and especially this needless extra test on day 5 they want to disincentivise tourists. Why they want to do economic harm to the poor is beyond me, but that's exactly the effect.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Again and again you state that most Thais couldn't care less about tourism without any tangible evidence. I was at Anusarn Night Market in Chiang Mai saturday a week ago. In pre-Covid times this place was overcrowded so one could hardly walk. Now many shops are closed and the place almost being deserted - I am sure that those shopowners and their families desperately wish the tourists back. My favorite Thai massage (Lila) in Chiang Mai who operated five shops pre-Covid has closed some for good. I am sure those girls would wish their overseas customers back (and this is not a place offering "happy ending" massages but really good traditional Thai massage). Is this empiric evidence? No. But anectdotal enough to really question your remark. The Thai economy is suffering even to the extent that 7/11 and McDonald are closing outlets and this can be attributed to the missing tourist revenue.

Have a look at those pics should you question the objectivity of my observations. A deserted Night Market in the 2nd largest city of Thailand. What sort of evidence can you provide to back your claim?

IMG_20220122_193940.jpg

IMG-20220122-WA0006.jpeg

Edited by Fundok
Reverse typos
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The businesses being destroyed are mostly bars and entertainment places because people don't follow the rules. It pretty much self destruction. 7

Misinformation Fred!  😎 

Bars and entertainment venues are being destroyed by Thai's who cannot follow rules and would otherwise engage in drunken nights and spread covid among their fellow revellers.

The real losers in this unnecessarily difficult tourist entry scheme are hospitality providers of accommodation, food, transport/tours and activities.  Not to mention the airlines and 1,000's of support industries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

How is Sandbox that much better?

You book a holiday hotel for 7 nights and should covid be detected you may find yourself isolated to a part of YOUR hotel until tests prove -ve.   At least you know where you stand.

With T&G, it is currently a minefield to negotiate the rules.  Application revolves around your booked hotels for nights 1 & and reliant on them confirming same to T&G within 30hrs, before the TP can be processed.  What could possibly go wrong 🥴 

Between day 2 and 4 you roam Bangkok or Chiang mai and possibly test +ve on day #5 only to be whisked away to a quarantine hotel with any hospital tests and x-rays etc payable as extras.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fundok said:

And Fred is spreading this misinformation constantly. Why? What's your agenda?

Probing a member's personality is not permitted however Fred is well known for his opinions against all places where alcohol or adult entertainment may be enjoyed.  Let's just leave it at that, please .. everyone.

47 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Again and again you state that most Thais couldn't care less about tourism without any tangible evidence. I was at Anusarn Night Market in Chiang Mai saturday a week ago. In pre-Covid times this place was overcrowded so one could hardly walk. Now many shops are closed and the place almost being deserted - I am sure that those shopowners and their families desperately wish the tourists back. My favorite Thai massage (Lila) in Chiang Mai who operated five shops pre-Covid has closed some for good. I am sure those girls would wish their overseas customers back (and this is not a place offering "happy ending" massages but really good traditional Thai massage). Is this empiric evidence? No. But anectdotal enough to really question your remark. The Thai economy is suffering even to the extent that 7/11 and McDonald are closing outlets and this can be attributed to the missing tourist revenue.

Have a look at those pics should you question the objectivity of my observations. A deserted Night Market in the 2nd largest city of Thailand. What sort of evidence can you provide to back your claim?

IMG_20220122_193940.jpg

IMG-20220122-WA0006.jpeg

Yes the Night Bazaar area is not doing well, but that's only a small part of Chiang Mai.  Other areas seem unaffected. Tourism is down world wide so its not surprising that the Tourism industry is in trouble. That said, the average Thai outside the tourist industry seems to be doing ok. Maybe not supergreat but decent.

3 hours ago, Ksmui said:

Use good hotels and your response should be better. I normally stay at a Dusit hotels and have found response times very good. It's like you get what you pay for.

Evidently Thailand does not need tourism for the locals to survive . Just surviving is a low bar & a reason Thailand GDP will continue to swirl the drain, well into the future.