Euro 2020 Football Championship

Andrew Reeve

Not the result most of us wanted - but that is the way it goes.  Maybe the next World Cup will be when England regains its former glory?

On a broader note - now that it is over - there are two issues I would like to discuss if anyone willing. 

Penalties deciding the result, and a United Kingdom team in all world sports events, especially football.

I was in favour of the penalty shootouts when they first started - it gave closure on the day and ensured a result for the crowds (live and TV). But after some time I started to think again about that, and now having watched Italy win via 2 penalty shoot outs, I have done a 180. I dont say that against Italy - good luck to them they won fair and square. I am talking about how the shootouts reward the 'negative' defensive teams. In my opinion the game is fundamentally stuffed now - with far too little attacking play - unless one team totally dominates another. Sure the occasional great game happens, but most of the football games these days are boring - too little action and too little scoring. Any thoughts?

I am from England but my 'country' of birth is actually the United Kingdom. People cannot get an English or Welsh or Scottish or Irish Passport - it is the United Kingdom.  Times have changed and the world has moved way past the British Empire mentality and capability.  I think it is time that the United Kingdom was represented by a team in all World sporting events - especially football.  Lets face it - that is who the country really is and when it has been issues of world importance, the United Kingdom always has come together.  Imagine if the USA had 50 teams from each State trying to qualify for world sporting events, or Australia had 6 teams doing the same?  It is only because of precedence and antiquated thinking that the UK does not have a team - Germany united - so why the hell cannot the UK.  And let me tell you, the others will all support the 'no' vote for one reason - they know a united UK will be a strong contender in all world sporting events - especially football. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Not the result most of us wanted - but that is the way it goes.  Maybe the next World Cup will be when England regains its former glory?

On a broader note - now that it is over - there are two issues I would like to discuss if anyone willing. 

Penalties deciding the result, and a United Kingdom team in all world sports events, especially football.

I was in favour of the penalty shootouts when they first started - it gave closure on the day and ensured a result for the crowds (live and TV). But after some time I started to think again about that, and now having watched Italy win via 2 penalty shoot outs, I have done a 180. I dont say that against Italy - good luck to them they won fair and square. I am talking about how the shootouts reward the 'negative' defensive teams. In my opinion the game is fundamentally stuffed now - with far too little attacking play - unless one team totally dominates another. Sure the occasional great game happens, but most of the football games these days are boring - too little action and too little scoring. Any thoughts?

I am from England but my 'country' of birth is actually the United Kingdom. People cannot get an English or Welsh or Scottish or Irish Passport - it is the United Kingdom.  Times have changed and the world has moved way past the British Empire mentality and capability.  I think it is time that the United Kingdom was represented by a team in all World sporting events - especially football.  Lets face it - that is who the country really is and when it has been issues of world importance, the United Kingdom always has come together.  Imagine if the USA had 50 teams from each State trying to qualify for world sporting events, or Australia had 6 teams doing the same?  It is only because of precedence and antiquated thinking that the UK does not have a team - Germany united - so why the hell cannot the UK.  And let me tell you, the others will all support the 'no' vote for one reason - they know a united UK will be a strong contender in all world sporting events - especially football. Any thoughts?

Penalty shoot outs only came about at the behest of TV companies and unfortunately money tends to rule most sporting events these days. As for a UK team then maybe 50 years ago it would have been ok but nowadays no manager would pick a Scot surely ? You just can't trust them not to throw the game away, their attitude towards leaving the UK illustrates the point. 

11 minutes ago, gummy said:

Penalty shoot outs only came about at the behest of TV companies and unfortunately money tends to rule most sporting events these days. As for a UK team then maybe 50 years ago it would have been ok but nowadays no manager would pick a Scot surely ? You just can't trust them not to throw the game away, their attitude towards leaving the UK illustrates the point. 

Maybe one of the benefits of creating a UK team is that the Scots will finally get lost and leave, after threatening to do it every 10-20 years since William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.  And it may sort out the 'Irish problem' too.  Only joking.    But seriously - if they could do it and get over all the issues, then maybe they will win some European or World Football trophies ?   They would also become strong enough to take the Rugby Union world champions mantle away from the NZ All Blacks - now that is something I would like to see. 

why can't they decide by on shots on goal or the team with the least yellow cards? Too much fouling these days stopping the game too often

On one hand, I would have liked to see England win as it would have sparked a summer of confidence and, along with their excellent vaccination drive, giving post-Brexit UK a fine start coming out of the pandemic.

On the other hand, the wild celebrations would have thrashed any hopes of controlling the virus this summer while they rush to get the young fully vaccinated, leaving many with long-term health problems.

Still, they did well to get all the way to a penalty shoot-out. No one should write off the talent and vitality contained within the UK. It is a unique and important place that I believe will thrive over the next few decades.

• Like 1