Euro 2020 Football Championship

Andrew Reeve

So far 4 matches have been played and after looking at all 4 either live or the highlights, the best team i have seen is  Belgium and they look very much the complete deal with a wealth of experience and talent and its not a young squad and they need to deliver at this tournament.

Today I plan to watch Croatia v England and then tomorrow morning catch the highlights of the other 2 games.

The Holland vs Ukraine "3-2" game was entertaining and Holland do look like a useful team and would expect them to at least get to the quarter finals. Their Defense is the weakest part of the team due to injuries.

England "Won" and we are going to get to the final "Football's coming home" Three Lions.

Just after been told their next match is on Friday with a start time of 2am in the morning "Thai time is Saturday"

Will not be watching and will cheer them on in my sleep.

• Haha 3

France play Germany early hours of tomorrow morning and all the football pundits from around Europe have France as their red hot favorites to win the trophy.

Watched the highlights of the Spain vs Sweden game and Spain look good with the ball and cannot put if in the back of the net. They need to find a scoring solution quickly.

Hi Tjampman, have seen the highlights and delighted to see Denmark into the last 16. They delivered a big performance and the celebrations at the end were amazing and you could see how much it meant to the Team and Country.

• Like 2

Agreed and also think France, Belgium and Holland are also the real deal and would guess that the winner will come from one of those five teams.

• Cool 1

Mighty England play early tomorrow morning our time and husband is very nervous about this match and reckons it will be another draw and England will finish 2nd in the group. 

• Haha 1

Andrew - I tend to agree with that list - cannot see anyone else getting to cup.

Sorry Alice - IMO your hubby will be disappointed - yet again.

Happy Husband and pleased to be proven wrong and he acknowledges it was not the best game of football and has pointed out there were good signs of improvement within the team.

To be honest with this particular England team, I cannot see them getting to the semi-finals. They look very ordinary and no spark on the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont read this if you are watching this morning's games soon on replay later today and do not want to know the result. I predicted Germany and Italy and said that England were no chance.  Well I can say that I was half right (optimist).  Italy will be hard to beat in the semi against Spain - but it will be a very interesting match to watch (on replay) - attack focussed team versus defence focussed team - that is always a great match when both teams are evenly matched. But England - wow - @Alice's  husband will be pleased.  But their midfield is not good and yet again they gave away the ball to Ukraine so many times - I cannot see them getting away with that against Spain. If it was not for Kane, England would be already out, but that is all it takes these days - one very very good player up front. Denmark certainly has had the better luck in the draw - lost 2 matches and make semis?  If England can again 'get away with it' yet again against Denmark, then who knows what will happen in the Final. Especially if whoever wins out of Italy and Spain loses a player or two in that match (injury/send-off).

I think the Italians are the best side in the competition and have enjoyed watching there style of play and would expect them to reach the final.

With the other semi, I would think England will win as they have yet to concede a goal. Denmark have plenty of passion and energy and will struggle to break England down.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, Alice said:

In all seriousness, my husband reckons it will be an Italy v England final and England winning in extra time.

And he was correct about the first so here's hoping the second prediction is also correct.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:29 PM, Alice said:

In all seriousness, my husband reckons it will be an Italy v England final and England winning in extra time.

Well there you go - he is already most of the way there Alice.

So who will the Aussies support? For those that do not know, we Aussies also have a 'Maradona Moment' too. In the 2006 World Cup we lost 1-0 to Italy in the round of 16, because of a clear blatant cheating dive that resulted in a penalty to Italy.  So yes - us Aussies will be supporting England. In fact we support every team who plays against Italy at any time in any competition - even the Kiwis.  

On 7/9/2021 at 7:27 AM, AussieBob said:

Well there you go - he is already most of the way there Alice.

So who will the Aussies support? For those that do not know, we Aussies also have a 'Maradona Moment' too. In the 2006 World Cup we lost 1-0 to Italy in the round of 16, because of a clear blatant cheating dive that resulted in a penalty to Italy.  So yes - us Aussies will be supporting England. In fact we support every team who plays against Italy at any time in any competition - even the Kiwis.  

Well the good news is that it won't be a biased German or French referee. It will be Dutch referee Bjorn Kuipers. He incidentally ref'd the England v Italy game in the group stages of the 2014 world cup which England won 2 -1. I actually think that will be the score again tonight but Italy will win the theatrics and dive of the match award