News Forum - Health Ministry approves use of Sinovac vaccine in children over 3 years old

Thaiger

The Public Health Ministry has approved China’s Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine for use in children between the ages of 3 and 17. Opas Karnkawinpong from the Department of Disease Control said a ministry sub-committee made the decision on Friday, but added that parental consent will still be required before children can be vaccinated with Sinovac. In addition, the use of Sinovac in young children will also require the approval of Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration. Opas says once that approval has been secured, inoculation can begin straight away. According to a Bangkok Post report, Opas referred to a number of studies […]

The story Health Ministry approves use of Sinovac vaccine in children over 3 years old as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

42 minutes ago, Liamsiam said:

Why not vaccinate foetuses too ? Cats and dogs or even wildlife ? No discrimination ! Everyone needs a monthly dose. Just to be safe you know..

I agree, particularly as I thought Thailand had used up its remaining stock of Sinovac and wasn't buying any more, but what's the alternative for "everyone ... just to be safe"?

Apart from an indefinite strict lockdown, which no-one wants, what better current alternative is there?

On 2/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, Stonker said:

I agree, particularly as I thought Thailand had used up its remaining stock of Sinovac and wasn't buying any more, but what's the alternative for "everyone ... just to be safe"?

Apart from an indefinite strict lockdown, which no-one wants, what better current alternative is there?

Since we know now that the injections don't prevent from transmitting the virus and that less than 1% of people contaminated will develop really bad symptoms, why not save all our efforts to protect the very few people that are actually at risk. If it was up to me I would vaccinate the elderlies, people suffering from chronic diseases and obesity but also make sure that we have hospital beds ready for them, doctors checking on them regularly and assistance with anything that can boost their immune system (like supplementing with iron, zinc, D3..). I would leave the rest of the country be and not paralyze the entire economy and healthcare system.. (more resources to care for the minority of people at risk)

But what do I know I'm not a scientist nor a politician and society doesn't fail to make me feel like such an gruesome person for daring to even raise questions.

Ps : I've been criticized for my level of English here before and would like to say that not only native speakers post comments...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Liamsiam said:

But what do I know I'm not a scientist nor a politician and society doesn't fail to make me feel like such an gruesome person for daring to even raise questions.

Ps : I've been criticized for my level of English here before and would like to say that not only native speakers post comments...

Thanks for this more than interesting post, @Liamsiam, with many points that I have to concur with.

As for your remark, ' . . . doesn't fail to make me feel like such an gruesome person for daring to even raise questions.', you must never feel like that; especially so, judging from the many valid points you've made in your posts since joining the forum . . . no way!

Similarly with your 'level of English' remark . . . all your posts have been worded at least as well as many native English speakers' posts, so no worries there, either 👍!

Happy posting!

KC

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Liamsiam said:

Since we know now that the injections don't prevent from transmitting the virus and that less than 1% of people contaminated will develop really bad symptoms, why not save all our efforts to protect the very few people that are actually at risk.

Because they're not "very few".

In England (not the UK), with a population of 55 million, 4 million were told to shield as they were "clinically extremely vulnerable to Covid-19." That's 7.25%, or one in 13.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n467

Thailand has a broadly similar demographic, so that's over five million people - and that's 'clinically extremely vulnerable'.

Extend that to those who are clinically vulnerable and "actually at risk", with medical conditions from obesity to pregnancy via hypertension and cancer, and it's at least 40% of the population.

It's a question I've asked before, never answered, but how do you propose protecting 40% of the population?