News Forum - Traveller calls police over high fare charged by Phuket taxi driver

Thaiger

In the old days taxi prices were always  nogiated and would very with traffic. I got pretty good and know exactly how much to pay. In fact my Thai friends would always ask what I paid. Partially for there reference and particularly to see if I was smart. I wouldn’t let my go (now my wife) negotiate because some taxis would try to say  "why you help falang" and she'd say for them to be careful that I spoke Thai. To avoid the situation I would always do the talking. They'd tell my gf that I spoke very well

But she'd insist on tipping if they were nice. 

My advice is to know the price ahead of time and ask politely if they'd take you to xxx for xxx. If they are nice a tip is a nice reward.  

I once gave a taxi a tip and told him to buy his wife some flowers. He said he didn't have a wife so I told him to have a beer after work.  We laughed.

• 2 weeks later...

If Grab and ride share drivers are scared of going into areas due to thugs?

shouldn’t that be investigated as Mafiosa tactics?

Put a stop to this rip off !