News Forum - COVID-19 SUNDAY: 12 deaths, over 2.4 million total infections

Thaiger

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

unlike the various CCP apologists here, I have never been inclined to believe propaganda ( I.e. anything) from murdering tyrants.  If CCP or Russia or Iran said water is wet I would want independent corroboration…..absurd CCP Covid Deaths a perfect case in point.

Thats just funny. 😄

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Thailand has done a pretty good job of balancing priorities. Restrictions on places that have high potential to spread the virus, like places where people congregate closely, bars and entertainment places are critical. Whereas open air places where people are spread out are less so. Immigration restrictions are also critical and not essential for most Thais. Loosening restrictions need to be done ĺogically in the best way to benefit the Thai people. Benefitting visitors is pretty low down on the priority, I would assume.

For sure, the infection numbers in Thailand are low if we compare them with those we currently see in Europe or the USA. However, to say that this is owed to the "pretty clever" management by the authorities is a bold statement. First of, I suspect that a lot less tests are administered in Thailand, so there may be many more infections that go undetected and are thus also not counted. Hence I suspect the infection numbers are not comparable.

The impact of the "clever management" on the economy has been grave, especially with the steep decline of tourism. I've been to Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok recently, and the decline of foreigb visitors was appaling. Maybe the area where you live was not exposed to tourism that much in pre-Covid times so there are lesser dependencies, but being at the famous Night Market in Chiang Mai with many shops closed and for sale and hardly any visitors/potential customers around I dare to predict that the vast majority of those entrepreneurs and their families wish the tourists back. I have no empirical data to back this claim, but I see that within the Thai family of my wife the current situation is hardly bearable and we had to inject some funds to keep her brother afloat (construction builder helper, hard worker, not highly skilled).

With regards to the rules for incoming travellers I am all but impressed as they are difficult, complex and some parts like the extra testing on day 5 simply make no sense. I am grateful my Thai wife and I had the opportunity to see our family and friends again after two years so we did abide by everything. If we wouldn't have those special ties we (both 3x vaccinated) would have chosen another destination where the entry is less cumbersome. Hence I suspect Thailand could fare much better with visitors wouldn't it be for that "clever management". If increasing tourist numbers is not a priority for the majority of Thai people is a question we cannot answer based on tangible data so let's agree we have different opinions here. But for sure TAT and the likes want more tourists in, and in this case the "clever management" needs to become much cleverer than it is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Sorry you are so offended.  However, I have many professional ,medical, contects in Thailand along with many others who I talk too. BTW I do understand and can converse in the Thai language. It's no problem for me either English or Thai. Thais tend to be very considerate and generally avoid criticism of others. I generally support the Thai view because this is what I hear from those I respect.

My opinions are my own and not influenced by European falangs whomever they might be. Actually I rare speak to the European falang community because they aren't really knowledgeable about what's happening in Thailand.  I speak daily with Thai friends mostly professionals. As a retired medical professional my Thai friends often ask my opinion.

I suspect that those friends of yours are not associated to the tourism industry, otherwise their priority list would be different. Tourist money is not insignificant for the Thai economy or rather, has not been insignificant in pre-Covid times. Snf that does not only relate to the entertainment part, but to hospitality in general, small enterprises offering activities, providers of food who now can't sell their products, construction etc etc. From what I just have seen myself, the economic impact has been dire, so you can insist on keeping your opinion, but my one is very different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fundok said:

I suspect that those friends of yours are not associated to the tourism industry, otherwise their priority list would be different. Tourist money is not insignificant for the Thai economy or rather, has not been insignificant in pre-Covid times. Snf that does not only relate to the entertainment part, but to hospitality in general, small enterprises offering activities, providers of food who now can't sell their products, construction etc etc. From what I just have seen myself, the economic impact has been dire, so you can insist on keeping your opinion, but my one is very different.

Exactly and what this sectors get goes also in the consumer section in Thailand like shopping malls , cars, houses etc etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Exactly and what this sectors get goes also in the consumer section in Thailand like shopping malls , cars, houses etc etc.

Yes, but the squad that wants to have restrictions until there is zero covid will insist on your compliance with their irrational fear. 

7 minutes ago, Fundok said:

And from the economy situation in Thailand he has also no knowledge, fact is because of the high private household debts in Thailand there is a huge liquity promblen in Thailand and can can only compensate by tourism or foreign invest. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Yes, but the squad that wants to have restrictions until there is zero covid will insist on your compliance with their irrational fear. 

With 98% of the gdp private household debts it is very clear that the incomes must be used to pay back debts and interests and not goes into the economy ( shopping, restaurants etc etc). These squads playing with fire and the whole country. 

• Like 1

Note from the Moderators

Topic was temporarily locked whilst Moderators dealt with posts not complaint with Guidelines.

Reopened now. Members are reminded posts simply attacking other members for them expressing a private opinion will not be tolerated.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Faraday said:

Because someone or something will come along to ease their fears & it will be immediately welcomed.

A saviour in some ways.

Well, keeping people waiting for two years may not be the best way to win friends and influence people!

I'd suggest that generally speaking when someone's been beating you up, then when they stop most people don't look on them as their saviour, but they look for someone else who made them stop so pretty much the reverse 😂

8 hours ago, Faraday said:

When's the universal Covid jab coming?

As soon as someone develops it - Harry Potter seems to be taking a sabbatical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

With 98% of the gdp private household debts it is very clear that the incomes must be used to pay back debts and interests and not goes into the economy ( shopping, restaurants etc etc). These squads playing with fire and the whole country. 

Simply not correct.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

It makes a difference because many people passed away from their underlying conditions, and a flu would have been just as bad as a covid virus. Add to that the cases counted as a covid hospitalization when they were in the hospital for another reason, then caught it. 

If you can't fathom the difference between dying of covid than dying with covid, then there is no way to further the discussion.

The BMJ disagree with you, confirming exactly what @Soidog said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o254

While the numbers dying "with Covid", where Covid was a contributory factor, has increased from 10% in January 2021 (alpha variant dominant) to 16% up to November (Delta dominant, pre-Omicron), to now 23%, those dying "of Covid", where Covid was the primary cause of death, is still 77%.

That 77% of Covid deaths is still more deaths "of Covid" now than the UK has had "of Covid" since early last year.

@Soidog and I disagree over many things, but he's absolutely spot on here.

• Like 2