News Forum - Fundraiser for survivor, funeral for victim of the attack on 2 British men

Thaiger

After a shocking stabbing attack in Kanchanaburi that left one British man dead and another severely wounded, an online fundraiser has begun to help pay the medical costs of the survivor. After being stabbed and left in critical condition, 55 year old Shaun Dagnan is still recovering from his wounds. A crowdfunding campaign has been created on JustGiving to raise 5,000 British Pounds (about 224,000 baht) to assist in the expenses incurred by the attack.  The site was started by Nicole Shaw and titled “Help Daggy in Thailand”, using his nickname. “Our friend Shaun Dagnan was subjected to a horrific […]

The story Fundraiser for survivor, funeral for victim of the attack on 2 British men as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

After a shocking stabbing attack in Kanchanaburi that left one British man dead and another severely wounded, an online fundraiser has begun to help pay the medical costs of the survivor. After being stabbed and left in critical condition, 55 year old Shaun Dagnan is still recovering from his wounds. A crowdfunding campaign has been created on JustGiving to raise 5,000 British Pounds (about 224,000 baht) to assist in the expenses incurred by the attack.  The site was started by Nicole Shaw and titled “Help Daggy in Thailand”, using his nickname. “Our friend Shaun Dagnan was subjected to a horrific […]

The story Fundraiser for survivor, funeral for victim of the attack on 2 British men as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The guy is 55yrs old, living in a foreign country and doesn't have 5k 

Unreal....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Unreal....

He is lucky in a way that this didn't happen in the US. Or he would have been slapped with a medical bill for tens of thousands. This guy had surgery from what I heard to fix his wounds, so considering that 5K is peanuts really. 

A European friend of mine got shot in the arm with a 22 during a fight with a local in Waco, Texas a few days ago... All he had was a broken bone, yet he was slapped with a $9K medical bill.... 

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

Old men playing load music at 3:00 am in the morning. Sounds quite childish

But Hacking off a  mans head with a machete isnt eh?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ctxa said:

He is lucky in a way that this didn't happen in the US. Or he would have been slapped with a medical bill for tens of thousands. This guy had surgery from what I heard to fix his wounds, so considering that 5K is peanuts really. 

Pretty  sure ( but  its  vague)  like  many countries they are obliged to treat ALL life threatening emergencis  free  of charge, Only  aftercare is  paid for, something  about 72  hours  in this article.  The  second guy had  serious  injuries. The  Phuket  governer once mentioned they wouldnt  be charged  in an article I read a  while back.

1. Temporarily unconscious,

2. Unresponsive and not breathing; and

3. Those who have a pounding heart and shortness of breath.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/1226210/72-hours-of-free-hospital-emergency-treatment#:~:text=PUBLIC HEALTH REGULATIONS ISSUED TO HOSPITALS&text=Under the new regulations%2C patients,72 hours%2C free of charge.

Edited by RampantRabbit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

I sorry for this to happen but come on. Why these men can't be considerate and not play their music so loud at 3 am ? This would be avoided if they are considerate. It's unfortunate they pissed off a mentally unstable man. I believe a lot of what they did put themselves in danger. No common sense at all.

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

• Like 4

The initial incident looks like a classic case of two wrongs not making a right.

two guys playing loud music at 3 am outside would annoy most people most places.

It's normally very quiet around that area at night and the noise would probably have been audible for miles around and had probably had been going on for a long time by that point.

This is far from the first case of somebody ending up dead  or seriously injured under these circumstances.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cathat said:

The initial incident looks like a classic case of two wrongs not making a right.

two guys playing loud music at 3 am outside would annoy most people most places.

It's normally very quiet around that area at night and the noise would probably have been audible for miles around and had probably had been going on for a long time by that point.

This is far from the first case of somebody ending up dead  or seriously injured under these circumstances.

Yes the  Thai  guy who  complained for  years to his  neighbours  eventually went round and shot them dead ........few  years back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slam said:

I sorry for this to happen but come on. Why these men can't be considerate and not play their music so loud at 3 am ? This would be avoided if they are considerate. It's unfortunate they pissed off a mentally unstable man. I believe a lot of what they did put themselves in danger. No common sense at all.

Blame the foreigner victims? username checks out

Edited by Fanta
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RampantRabbit said:

Pretty  sure ( but  its  vague)  like  many countries they are obliged to treat ALL life threatening emergencis  free  of charge, Only  aftercare is  paid for, something  about 72  hours  in this article.  The  second guy had  serious  injuries. The  Phuket  governer once mentioned they wouldnt  be charged  in an article I read a  while back.

1. Temporarily unconscious,

2. Unresponsive and not breathing; and

3. Those who have a pounding heart and shortness of breath.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/1226210/72-hours-of-free-hospital-emergency-treatment#:~:text=PUBLIC HEALTH REGULATIONS ISSUED TO HOSPITALS&text=Under the new regulations%2C patients,72 hours%2C free of charge.

In the US, a hospital can't refuse service

And your care will be as good as someone fully insured 

But they will bill you for it

Well Canada they will also bill you

Nothing is done for free 

In a foreigners case, you can just leave and go back to your country and they won't have any recourse to get the money from you 

• Like 1

Story after story of people getting into trouble and getting bailed out by crowd funding. More and more people risking traveling without cover. All they need are lots of Facebook friends. Just in case.

"Insurance lapsed due to an unexpected extended visit." You can buy cheap insurance online while already in a destination. No excuses.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scribble said:

Story after story of people getting into trouble and getting bailed out by crowd funding. More and more people risking traveling without cover. All they need are lots of Facebook friends. Just in case.

"Insurance lapsed due to an unexpected extended visit." You can buy cheap insurance online while already in a destination. No excuses.

No money don't travel. In a foreign land without insurance is idiotic.  Don't be a cheapskate to ask for donation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RampantRabbit said:

Pretty  sure ( but  its  vague)  like  many countries they are obliged to treat ALL life threatening emergencis  free  of charge, Only  aftercare is  paid for, something  about 72  hours  in this article. (snip)

Just to clarify this in case anyone gets the wrong idea.

The article you linked to has nothing to do with all foreigners (or even all Thais) having emergency health coverage here AS THEY DON'T.

It's specifically ONLY about those Thais with 'Universal Coverage' (the 'yellow card') having coverage across Thailand for emergencies under the 'Universal Coverage Emergency Plan' (UCEP) rather than only having Universal Coverage where they're registered.

UCEP is currently in the process of being made unnecessary as Universal Coverage is being extended to cover those registered for it at any hospital, not just at their local hospital where they're registered or on referral from it.

What I'm guessing you've done, @RampantRabbit, is that you thought  'Universal Coverage' meant universal coverage - health coverage for everyone.

It doesn't.

Universal Coverage (UC) is what the yellow card health coverage scheme is called, as distinct from the Social Security (SS) scheme, Civil Service schemes, etc.

If you re-read the article knowing what Universal Coverage is then it's very clear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A crowdfunding campaign has been created on JustGiving to raise 5,000 British Pounds (about 224,000 baht) to assist in the expenses incurred by the attack.

If someone travels to Thailand without insurance cover or hasn't got backup finances then they deserve all the hardship that fall on them. Has anyone checked if he has insurance? Or the means to support himself? I hate these 'Go Fund Me' requests.

Maybe he can sell his loud speakers 

All jokes aside, I do feel bad for the guy, but he should be paying his own medical bills in this case. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Maybe he can sell his loud speakers 

All jokes aside, I do feel bad for the guy, but he should be paying his own medical bills in this case. 

I don't bad for him at all

These lazy bums should be home working

He's 55yrs old, not at an age he can't work

And of course, when something happens

The hat is passed around 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I don't bad for him at all

These lazy bums should be home working

He's 55yrs old, not at an age he can't work

And of course, when something happens

The hat is passed around 

Well, firstly the 'hat' is optional and if you dont know him or feel sorry for him there's no obligation. Secondly, I think we'd all like to think that we'd be safe if we decided to act daft at 3am or whatever time it was,  in Thailand. Live and let live, a mantra that I've used before and will use again. Not my type of people but then again not everybody is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Poolie said:

Well, firstly the 'hat' is optional and if you dont know him or feel sorry for him there's no obligation. Secondly, I think we'd all like to think that we'd be safe if we decided to act daft at 3am or whatever time it was,  in Thailand. Live and let live, a mantra that I've used before and will use again. Not my type of people but then again not everybody is.

Oh, he should never have been attacked

I don't condone that at all

Well, actually if he was being a total asshole(and I'm thinking he was) a good beating would be warranted 

But not attacked with any weapon

But the lazy bum should go home and get a job!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Unreal....

We find something we agree on Marc bud 5555

9 hours ago, Fanta said:

Blame the foreigner victims? username checks out

The man who killed was wrong. It is said he is mentally ill. The victims pissed off the wrong person. Unfortunately with their inconsiderate actions and with them being at the wrong place and at the wrong time they suffer the consequences. 

• Like 1

All they needed was some bluetooth headphones so no one would hear the music but themselves. 

Likely gay men and/or lonely alcoholics, who else would stay up with just one person of the same gender drinking until 3am  🤣

• Haha 1

Shocking what Thais will do in reaction to disputes or disturbances  but this sort of thing should be well known to foreigners who take any notice of their host country 's news. So these two displayed a complete lack of consideration and a lack of personal risk management and there is no excuse for a lack of travel insurance which you can buy for up to 2 years after your trip has started.

No donation from me to the "idiot abroad" fund.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1