News Forum - Philippines reopens Feb 10 for the vaccinated from most countries

Thaiger

On 1/30/2022 at 2:43 AM, Clem said:

What is meant by “ a recent negative test“? 

What is the time frame?  1day? 1 week? 1 month?

It must be a PCR within 48 hours before departure. 

On 1/30/2022 at 11:13 PM, riclag said:

No covid insurance required  , yeah!

If you go to the Philippines without insurance for covid at this time you're a fool. Private hospitals are expensive and standard travel rates insurance will laugh at you if you call them and say I'm in St. Lukes hospital in Manila with Covid good luck paying the bills. Or maybe you can line up at a free hospital to be turned away because you have no Philhealth because you're a tourist. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 2:54 PM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Horrible place the Philippines.

Screenshot_20220131_064922_com.android.chrome_edit_210860203669387.thumb.jpg.a1243cb6619e1fee0e5d65e7b77e5828.jpg

Screenshot_20220131_065007_com.android.chrome_edit_210872513044906.thumb.jpg.aff923f82b5c8409d49f6848732cdf59.jpg

Screenshot_20220131_065119_com.android.chrome_edit_210897234802715.jpg.8c5c2dcd9270a4751cd3f114e99544bf.jpg

Why would anyone ever want to go to that hellhole?

🤔🤔🤔

Great post, however it should be noted that just before Christmas Typhoon Rai/Odette carved a trail of destruction right across the country right through all most all of the tourist destinations. The trail of destruction starts at Siargao Island (pretty much destroyed), and and runs through Dinagat Bohol, Cebu Negros and loops back through Palawan. It effects all the nearby Islands as well and most places have severe damage to the buildings and beaches and vegetation even major cities like Cebu City have large areas with no power and no water. The places where the water is back on the water is even more contaminated than normal. There are still people dying from disease and bad food and water even in major tourist destinations like Bohol and Siargao Islands. If you are just going for the bars in Angeles or Burgos Street then they are not effected but due to two years of being effectively closed by the pandemic. Most of Walking street Angeles is closed and bankrupt. I'm told that Burgos Street is not much better. So be prepared for that kind of adventure and visiting a disaster zone or  be prepared for a very scaled back version of the Red Light districts. 

Edited by Tim_Melb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 5:59 PM, Burapha said:

I won't be going, its Thailand or nothing for me... but I'm sure a lot will just because of easier entry, people need to book holidays soon for this year, they won't wait for Thailand. 

I take your point, being screwed around by the Thai authorities is getting beyond silly. As for me, I'll go to my second choice of destinations, Cuba and especially Santiago de Cuba.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:54 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Horrible place the Philippines.

Screenshot_20220131_064922_com.android.chrome_edit_210860203669387.thumb.jpg.a1243cb6619e1fee0e5d65e7b77e5828.jpg

Screenshot_20220131_065007_com.android.chrome_edit_210872513044906.thumb.jpg.aff923f82b5c8409d49f6848732cdf59.jpg

Screenshot_20220131_065119_com.android.chrome_edit_210897234802715.jpg.8c5c2dcd9270a4751cd3f114e99544bf.jpg

Why would anyone ever want to go to that hellhole?

🤔🤔🤔

hundred reasons. total dump.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:16 PM, Faraday said:

Hearsay then.

No. Direct trusted reliable sources = gospel/evidence. Chat from unknowns  =hearsay

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Guevara said:

I take your point, being screwed around by the Thai authorities is getting beyond silly. As for me, I'll go to my second choice of destinations, Cuba and especially Santiago de Cuba.

Finally . Safe Cuba recommended instead of unsafe Mexico 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guevara said:

Have a splendid time. We'll do the best we can manage in your absence. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

If you go to the Philippines without insurance for covid at this time you're a fool. Private hospitals are expensive and standard travel rates insurance will laugh at you if you call them and say I'm in St. Lukes hospital in Manila with Covid good luck paying the bills. Or maybe you can line up at a free hospital to be turned away because you have no Philhealth because you're a tourist. 

Forced Govt Insurance ,No Insurance  ! Travel Ins . Personally speaking ! The first one speaks for itself .
Travel ins with a covid kicker ,thats not tied to the govt enity would be my choice, if I decided to have Ins.

Personally speaking  I pay as I go!Thats what  medical emergencies savings account is for!

• Like 2

The  loosening of  regulations on travel is to  address the Philippine diaspora and to better manage the millions who travel back and forth sending much need FX into the country. The rule changes are not intended for "tourists". 

And as an observation, my experience  is that those who sing the glories of the Philippines have either not visited, and if they have, not spent much time in the past 5 years to understand the state of the nation. Whatever Thailand's failings are, at least I can get a decent meal and need not fear armed thugs on every corner.

21 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Cuba? Not much one for human rights are you? Thailand has been much more open about the covid infections than Cuba. Cuba has relied on Russian and Chinese sourced vaccines which means it is in bad shape compared to other  tourist destinations. Because problem not discussed does not mean problem is not there. 

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

The  loosening of  regulations on travel is to  address the Philippine diaspora and to better manage the millions who travel back and forth sending much need FX into the country. The rule changes are not intended for "tourists". 

And as an observation, my experience  is that those who sing the glories of the Philippines have either not visited, and if they have, not spent much time in the past 5 years to understand the state of the nation. Whatever Thailand's failings are, at least I can get a decent meal and need not fear armed thugs on every corner.

Cuba? Not much one for human rights are you? Thailand has been much more open about the covid infections than Cuba. Cuba has relied on Russian and Chinese sourced vaccines which means it is in bad shape compared to other  tourist destinations. Because problem not discussed does not mean problem is not there. 

So speaks somebody that has no idea what they are talking about. The Philippines has been open for their own citizens OFW's for almost the whole time with very limited restrictions for isolation in quarantine hotels for vaccinated people. The longest isolation they have had was 5 days unless you test positive and for a big part of the time even pre-vaccines they were doing a PCR test on arrival delivering you to a hotel and then giving you the results a few hours later and as long as you were negative you were on your way! The opening on the 10th is all about the Tourists including reopening the Tourist Visa 30 day wavier program. 

You clearly know nothing about the country and have never been there or Cuba either for that matter. You have no idea what you are talking about. You sound like a typical ignorant right wing American that has never been anywhere but thinks he knows it all. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

No. Direct trusted reliable sources = gospel/evidence. Chat from unknowns  =hearsay

So your opioin = hearsay

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Forced Govt Insurance ,No Insurance  ! Travel Ins . Personally speaking ! The first one speaks for itself .
Travel ins with a covid kicker ,thats not tied to the govt enity would be my choice, if I decided to have Ins.

Personally speaking  I pay as I go!Thats what  medical emergencies savings account is for!

There is no government forced insurance for the Philippines. Just get your own or suffer the consequences if it all goes bad. I agree it's cheaper in the long run to have your own cash in the bank to cover medical expenses but most people don't have that sort of cash laying around so be careful about getting a reliable covid inclusive travel insurance policy before you go there. 

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

hundred reasons. total dump.

I'd like to say a sh1t hole but it may not be allowed. As for the majority of its population, caves wouldn't look out of order.

I would also point out that the people here that are saying bad things about the Philippines either have never been there or are making unfair comparisons with Thailand. Thailand is virtually a developed nation these days. The Philippines is virtually a third world country and making comparisons between the two is like comparing water melons to oranges they are both fruit but in no way interchangeable. Also I have seen comments here about everyone in the Philippines speaking English. That's rubbish. You can usually find an English speaker everywhere but they don't all speak English especially outside the big cities and tourist areas. 

1 minute ago, Guevara said:

I'd like to say a sh1t hole but it may not be allowed. As for the majority of its population, caves wouldn't look out of order.

Someone else that's never been there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Do some homework before you spout your sh1t.

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

Have a splendid time. We'll do the best we can manage in your absence. 😀

Oh you are such a hoot. Such a pity you are so myopic.

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Where I stayed in Havana looked like it would be the most dangerous place in the world

Yet...........it was one of the safest!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Bringing religion into the discussion...?

🤓

Made a decision based on what others said, not experience.

I don't understand the persistent negativity of some members here regarding both countries, especially in the Philippines. Both countries have many things to offer and as a Filipino, I have a great time visiting Thailand during my five (5) visits there, the last time was in November 2019, before the pandemic. Thailand is rich in culture and the food is great, Philippines has great beaches and nature, and its open to tourists without quarantine and RT-PCR tests. 

Safety issues in the Philippines is overblown. Unless you are a knucklehead and visit the far flung provinces of Mindanao in the South (BARMM area), you will be safe. Petty crime is rampant in both countries, much more so in Manila than in Bangkok but if you have your common sense and practice some basic precautions like in all Third World countries, then you will have no problems when it comes to safety. Also, it might be a con to some, but Philippines being Americanized and Westernized is a plus, since you will have little to no difficulty when it comes to communication and "culture". 

Philippines is located in Pacific Ring of Fire so its prone to natural disasters and typhoons are aplenty during wet months. These can be a headache, but it can be rectified if  you visit during dry months (January-May, September-December). The Typhoon last December is unusual though, however, it did not affect the famous spots of Boracay and Palawan, heck it did not even land in Manila.

Thailand will be always be more popular and accessible to the Philippines since the tourism infrastructure is much more developed and admittedly, it offers more varied activities and its kind of exotic to expats. However, PH now offers an alternative option to those who don't want to be burdened by insurance and lots of Covid tests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

What is it you object to? Just the specific facts please.

Clearly he objects to the FACT that everything you said was wrong! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

So your opioin = hearsay

post is clear enough. opinion here might be hearsay to some or evidence to others, I. e. people who perhaps trust the posts to some degree. we are not in a court of law  categorizing “hearsay “ or “evidence”.