News Forum - Philippines reopens Feb 10 for the vaccinated from most countries

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, Guevara said:

Grubby is an understatement.

Never been, but that's the overwhelming view of everyone I know who has - not just the place and the bars, but those in the bars, whether working or customers.

15 hours ago, Sandbar said:

Looks like the Philippines has caught thier Asians neighbours 'napping'. Make no mistake, this is a massive magnet to draw tourist's back to the Philippines and rob other asian countries of the desperatly sought after tourist trade due to thier complicated and expensive quarantine process. 

All ready looking at fares and accommodation in the PH. Thanks for the memories Thailand.

No covid insurance required  , yeah!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

21 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Never been, but that's the overwhelming view of everyone I know who has - not just the place and the bars, but those in the bars, whether working or customers.

Hearsay then.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Hearsay then.

Absolutely - but since they all agree , unless I was desperate for a holiday that centred around seedy bars and grubbier people I wouldn't be rushing to go to the Philippines just because they're 'open'.

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Wonders never cease on the lengths you will go to Stonker to redefine an argument to avoid looking silly. 

Au contraire, Monsieur. This thread was set on the wrong path the moment you stepped forward to slap down an optimistic, positive comment made by a new member @Burapha with your negative nit-picking nonsense. 

It’s the same as with any other news thread. It’d be great if we could all discuss the news in a civil (normal) way but we have to contend with nonsense, hence the downturn in comments in general. 

I’m still hearing crickets, Stonker, as I await voices in support of your approach. 

I rest my case, let the court of public opinion judge you. 

Shocking UK Covid Death Rate of 0.25% total population.🥸

so 99.75% survival rate then. Not high enough! We must lock down everything until Zero Covid is reached ! 😂

• Like 4

On 1/28/2022 at 5:38 PM, Stonker said:

What "lot of tourists"?

The numbers even to countries that have no restrictions are minimal, as most people are either unable to travel or have more sense at the moment.

Stonker, in my main small group of people I know quite a few who would go if there was none of the hassle.  I also know many others in various groups that im part of, who feel the same. There's a lot of tourists waiting for that day, that could help the Thai economy from the malls to the street vendors. It's better the Thais don't lose even one tourist to another country, don't you think? I'm triple vaxed never had the bug as far as I know, so just waiting for that day I can travel, I don't mind the insurance, pcr before leaving and vax documents, but the tests and hotels on arrival, no thanks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guevara said:

To the Philippines? No thanks, once bitten etc.

I won't be going, its Thailand or nothing for me... but I'm sure a lot will just because of easier entry, people need to book holidays soon for this year, they won't wait for Thailand. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Burapha said:

Stonker, in my main small group of people I know quite a few who would go if there was none of the hassle.  I also know many others in various groups that im part of, who feel the same. There's a lot of tourists waiting for that day, that could help the Thai economy from the malls to the street vendors.

Well, you may be right but judging by the articles I linked to the experts seem to disagree with you.

Maybe they have a different view of what "a lot" means as they all say the numbers are likely to be pretty small.

The numbers they also report going to those countries that have "none of the hassle" such as the UAE, USA and UK are also pretty small, which suggests that there aren't "a lot of tourists waiting for that day" as that day's come but very few have gone.

1 hour ago, Burapha said:

It's better the Thais don't lose even one tourist to another country, don't you think? 

I think it all depends on what 'the Thais' have to do to attract that 'one tourist'.

If it means they need to re-open all the bars and stop wearing masks before everyone here who wants to be fully vaxxed can be, which can't happen for at least another three months due to the availability of vaccines and time constraints, then 'no' since if Covid spreads again then it's back to square one.

Do you realise that schools aren't even open in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Burapha said:

I'm triple vaxed never had the bug as far as I know, so just waiting for that day I can travel, I don't mind the insurance, pcr before leaving and vax documents, but the tests and hotels on arrival, no thanks.

Great, so you're safe - I'm happy for you.

What about the Thais who aren't triple vaxxed, who want to be but have no possibility of being triple vaxxed for at least three more months, and those Thais under 18 who have still hardly had the chance to be vaxxed at all?

How safe are they going to be once all travel restrictions are lifted, bars and restaurants are opened, mandatory mask wearing ends, and everything's back to 'normal' so the tourists can come back?

Or don't they matter as long as you can enjoy your holiday?

On 1/28/2022 at 10:56 PM, BigHewer said:

The poster referred to “potentially” a lot of tourists and I agree. What “lot of tourists”? What we see as potential numbers. 

Please provide a link to demonstrate this assertion. And how do you define ‘minimal’? What criteria do you consider to arrive at the adjective ‘minimal’?

Again, by “most people”, are you referring to 51% of human beings on the planet, in which case you would be correct and disingenuous OR are you referring to those interested in international travel, in which case you’d just be plain wrong. Which is it?

So are you saying that travelers as a rule have less sense than people who do not travel? How do you arrive at this opinion? 

Just to add, 31million tourists to Mexico last year in the situation. That a lot.. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, you may be right but judging by the articles I linked to the experts seem to disagree with you.

Maybe they have a different view of what "a lot" means as they all say the numbers are likely to be pretty small.

The numbers they also report going to those countries that have "none of the hassle" such as the UAE, USA and UK are also pretty small, which suggests that there aren't "a lot of tourists waiting for that day" as that day's come but very few have gone.

I think it all depends on what 'the Thais' have to do to attract that 'one tourist'.

If it means they need to re-open all the bars and stop wearing masks before everyone here who wants to be fully vaxxed can be, which can't happen for at least another three months due to the availability of vaccines and time constraints, then 'no' since if Covid spreads again then it's back to square one.

What about the Thais who aren't triple vaxxed, who want to be but have no possibility of being triple vaxxed for at least three more months, and those Thais under 18 who have still hardly had the chance to be vaxxed at all?

How safe are they going to be once all travel restrictions are lifted, bars and restaurants are opened, mandatory mask wearing ends, and everything's back to 'normal' so the tourists can come back?

We have seen this in the UK, its going down fast, I'm sure Thailand is a month away from the same.

31 million international  tourists to Mexico last year and I'm sure millions everwhere else, not everyone stops home as you imagine.

This omicron is in Thailand and know many have had it, itv will peak soon. To be fair Thailands doing a good job with vaccines, I know many who are triple vaxxed.

I know exactly what's open in Thailand I have a young son there.

I have said in another reply I will wait, no intention of going anywhere else and yes I can't wait for my holiday but hey ho.. but they need to move on and let people in easier. If they miss April then many will look elsewhere, I would hate to see them lose out this year.

Edited by Burapha

13 hours ago, Stonker said:

Thanks for that - I wasn't doubting you, I simply couldn't find it.

Agreed, that's a pretty unqualified and unambiguous "99%" but I still think he's pushing it as even the manufacturers aren't quite that optimistic.

As I said, my elder  brother's immunocompromised which is why he had four - he went for the normal third / booster of Moderna but was given a fourth as well because of that - it's certainly not routine or widely available.

No worries - and these days, I think it is fair to question the accuracy of quotes. So happy to provide you with the link. Regarding the 4th jab for your brother: this is probably a medical special case - hope he is doing well and this 4th jab helps.

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

My kids have been back at school for months. Most schools are open where I'm based. 

15 hours ago, Stonker said:

Horrible place the Philippines.

Screenshot_20220131_064922_com.android.chrome_edit_210860203669387.thumb.jpg.a1243cb6619e1fee0e5d65e7b77e5828.jpg

Screenshot_20220131_065007_com.android.chrome_edit_210872513044906.thumb.jpg.aff923f82b5c8409d49f6848732cdf59.jpg

Screenshot_20220131_065119_com.android.chrome_edit_210897234802715.jpg.8c5c2dcd9270a4751cd3f114e99544bf.jpg

Why would anyone ever want to go to that hellhole?

🤔🤔🤔

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Horrible place the Philippines.

Why would anyone ever want to go to that hellhole?

🤔🤔🤔

To get pick pocketed by a gang of kids in the street? A true one-off experience. 😃

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Burapha said:

We have seen this in the UK, its going down fast,

Sorry, but that's simply far, far from correct and that's being tactful:

From the BMJ three days ago:

"Covid deaths in the UK are at their highest since February 2021 despite omicron being less severe than previous variants. ...

Daily deaths have regularly exceeded 300 in recent weeks, and on 27 January 338 people in the UK died within 28 days of a positive test for covid.3 This is some way short of the UK’s worst daily death toll, which peaked at 1820 on 20 January 2021. But this year’s peak of 439 deaths, on 25 January 2022, was the highest daily total since 24 February 2021, when 442 deaths were recorded."

For the sceptics, in 77% of those cases Covid was the primary cause of death, rather than just a contributory factor which it was in the other 23%.

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o254

Confirmed by allother reliable sources which also show thatnumbers have been steady for the last fortnight:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

It's not going down at all, let alone "going down fast".

9 hours ago, Burapha said:

31 million international  tourists to Mexico last year and I'm sure millions everwhere else, not everyone stops home as you imagine.

I'm not suggesting they do - simply giving the view of the experts, which you evidently disagree with. If people are going to mxico in lieu of Thailand, I think most will be rather disappointed.

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

My kids have been back at school for months. Most schools are open where I'm based. 

Happy for you and your kids - unfortunately that isn't correct for the vast majority of schoolchildren in Thailand where barely a third re-opened near the end of last year and many of those have since closed / returned to on-line classes, including all those in my province:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2207835/a-third-of-schools-reopen-at-start-of-the-second-semester

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2241507/schools-set-to-move-back-online-amid-virus-threat

9 hours ago, Fundok said:

No worries - and these days, I think it is fair to question the accuracy of quotes. So happy to provide you with the link. Regarding the 4th jab for your brother: this is probably a medical special case - hope he is doing well and this 4th jab helps.

Well, he's certainly doing better than our eldest brother - he died of Covid in November 😯.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Well, he's certainly doing better than our eldest brother - he died of Covid in November 😯.

My consolations. Luckily my family has been spared so far, but the father of a colleague of mine passed away because of Covid.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but that's simply far, far from correct and that's being tactful:

From the BMJ three days ago:

"Covid deaths in the UK are at their highest since February 2021 despite omicron being less severe than previous variants. ...

Daily deaths have regularly exceeded 300 in recent weeks, and on 27 January 338 people in the UK died within 28 days of a positive test for covid.3 This is some way short of the UK’s worst daily death toll, which peaked at 1820 on 20 January 2021. But this year’s peak of 439 deaths, on 25 January 2022, was the highest daily total since 24 February 2021, when 442 deaths were recorded."

For the sceptics, in 77% of those cases Covid was the primary cause of death, rather than just a contributory factor which it was in the other 23%.

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o254

Confirmed by allother reliable sources which also show thatnumbers have been steady for the last fortnight:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

It's not going down at all, let alone "going down fast".

I'm not suggesting they do - simply giving the view of the experts, which you evidently disagree with. If people are going to mxico in lieu of Thailand, I think most will be rather disappointed.

True the UK has been battered by covid and its far from over and due to the amount of people getting this  there is a lot going positive. But it has been falling fast, only starting to flatten out due to most restrictions ending, schools going back, everyone going back to work. No mask wearing etc.. World in data shows this in its graphs, as well as the Zoe study, which is always on the ball, usually with goverment figures catching up sometimes two weeks later.

My city of 70000 people which was one of the last to get Omicron  has seen a -31% decrease in one week. Local NHS figures  show 2447 confirmed, that's out of 36032 tests in one week, although im sure there maybe more untested. There are 6 on ventilators, and sadly 16 deaths, positive within 28 days of passing and that is up 23% from last week.

From my view, from the end of December to mid January there was a lot of people getting this every day, now we hardly hear of it and Im work in a building that houses over 2000 staff most of who are just coming back to work from working at home. Not many wearing masks as its only advised not the law, although I will continue in shops for a few more weeks.

Anyway enough of covid. I just want Thailand and the world to get back on track as people need to survive and for the tourist areas to get back to their good times.

I wouldnt go to Mexico or the Philippines either, no interest. 

Good talking to you Stonker

As a Filipino, we welcome you to our country. I have been to Thailand a handful times and I am confident I can enumerate the pros and cons in visiting both countries. However, I want to explain what you can generally expect when the country (PH) will start accepting foreign visitors.

1. Minimum public health standards are always observed. So, mask wearing and social distancing are a must. Masks are always worn, both indoors and outdoors. However, due to Covid fatigue, you may expect that in some places, social distancing is not being observed anymore.

2. Currently, Metro Manila is in Alert Level 2 (from 5 Alert levels). It's the second loosest alert level and generally, bars, malls and restaurants are allowed to open 70% capacity. In practice, its actually much looser in real life, as things are generally open. Here is a primer in Alert Levels: 

https://mirror.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2021/11nov/20211118-IATF-GUIDELINES-RRD.pdf

3. The famous tourist spots , Siargao and Cebu Province were devastated by typhoon last December. Siargao, in particular is pretty much razed in the ground and will take a long time to recover, so don't visit there. Cebu is slowly recovering and you may now visit Cebu City and its famous beaches and nature, albeit expect some inconveniences.

4. Palawan and Boracay are open and they are accepting tourists. In particular, this is the best time to visit Coron and El Nido as there are no tourists! Boracay is open, though you still need Covid test. It is expected that Boracay will loosen its restrictions as Manila is Alert Level 2. I visited Boracay last November and the white sand is still second to none. Night life is a bit subdued to.

5. Covid cases are still high in the country but hospitalizations are very low . There seems to be a general sentiment that people would be living with Covid for a long time and it will be endemic, so things seem to be back to normal in the next few weeks or months.

6. Also, Filipinos are very kind, friendly and approachable. Covid devastated the tourism industry and some of my friends who work in hospitality industry are eager and looking forward to welcome foreigners. Some of them even joking that they are very eager to welcome even the Chinese!

That's all.. Hope everyone can visit PH in the future.

Edited by fpschubert
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, fpschubert said:

As a Filipino, we welcome you to our country. I have been to Thailand a handful times and I am confident I can enumerate the pros and cons in visiting both countries. However, I want to explain what you can generally expect when the country (PH) will start accepting foreign visitors.

1. Minimum public health standards are always observed. So, mask wearing and social distancing are a must. Masks are always worn, both indoors and outdoors. However, due to Covid fatigue, you may expect that in some places, social distancing is not being observed anymore.

2. Currently, Metro Manila is in Alert Level 2 (from 5 Alert levels). It's the second loosest alert level and generally, bars, malls and restaurants are allowed to open 70% capacity. In practice, its actually much looser in real life, as things are generally open. Here is a primer in Alert Levels: 

https://mirror.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2021/11nov/20211118-IATF-GUIDELINES-RRD.pdf

3. The famous tourist spots , Siargao and Cebu Province were devastated by typhoon last December. Siargao, in particular is pretty much razed in the ground and will take a long time to recover, so don't visit there. Cebu is slowly recovering and you may now visit Cebu City and its famous beaches and nature, albeit expect some inconveniences.

4. Palawan and Boracay are open and they are accepting tourists. In particular, this is the best time to visit Coron and El Nido as there are no tourists! Boracay is open, though you still need Covid test. It is expected that Boracay will loosen its restrictions as Manila is Alert Level 2. I visited Boracay last November and the white sand is still second to none. Night life is a bit subdued to.

5. Covid cases are still high in the country but hospitalizations are very low . There seems to be a general sentiment that people would be living with Covid for a long time and it will be endemic, so things seem to be back to normal in the next few weeks or months.

6. Also, Filipinos are very kind, friendly and approachable. Covid devastated the tourism industry and some of my friends who work in hospitality industry are eager and looking forward to welcome foreigners. Some of them even joking that they are very eager to welcome even the Chinese!

That's all.. Hope everyone can visit PH in the future.

Thanks for that interesting insight into the Philippines - your country! - @fpschubertand your debut post, too . . . welcome to Thaiger Talk!

On 1/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, BigHewer said:

Yes, but that’s assuming that all reported cases represent ALL cases. Do they? 

@oldschoolerwas not referring to the UK leading the way in death rate and numbers, Stonker. He was referring to the UK’s approach to learning to live with it, and it was a valid point.

Once again, you’re making footloose and fancy-free assertions in quoting people out of context. 

Right now it's smart to error on the side of caution.  Just because the UK does something it doesn't mean they have greater insight. I would suggest following countries with greater success in handling this disease.  Some states like Florida have been successful focusing on therapeutics for example. Widely available therapeutics make sense to me

The Philippines will likely siphon off some tourist from Thailand, but I see this as a good thing and hope that Thailand stays the course. Most likely those changing from Thailand are the sexpats which are undesirable.  It might actually encourage some more desirable travelers who would just as soon avoid the sleaze. Although the Philippines reportedly has some nice beaches, it's relatively unsafe to explore. The sexpats don't care as long as there is cold bar and hot girls plus they sort of speak English.  

Outside touristy area even if Thais know English they are reluctant to try. I guess that they are humble and underestimate themselves.

Good news.. The famous island, Boracay has just waived RT-PCR requirements for domestic and foreign tourists starting February 02.. You only need to get a QR code approved online and you're good to go. 

• Like 1