News Forum - Local coffee shop fined 500 baht for tables placed on a crosswalk

Thaiger

Following the fatal accident where a police officer crashed his Ducati into a woman walking across the crosswalk, authorities throughout the country are tightening measures around traffic enforcement and working on ways to improve pedestrian safety. Many are now sharing photos of recently painted crosswalks, many painted a vibrant red to alert drivers to slow down. But one crosswalk in Ubon Ratchathani caught the attention of netizens. Not because it was recently painted, but because a local coffee stand had placed tables for customers right on the crosswalk. A photo shared online shows customers enjoying food while sitting at the […]

The story Local coffee shop fined 500 baht for tables placed on a crosswalk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If you look at the top right corner of the picture, there's a policeman standing there virtually next to the crossing!

... and these people are happily sitting in the road having a meal 😯.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, yetanother said:

encroachment is a national sport in thailand

Indeed, for a decade now, there has been an an abandoned property wall enclosing one half of a busy narrow public road, 10 mtr long,  adjacent to  Baan Zan Market in Patong. Municipal stopped the building work but never demolished this gross public highway obstruction ! 

national crosswalk month. not easy, cause cannot just close those. every time i see accident on a u-turn, they just barricade it with concrete blocks.

by the way, all that red point is probably against traffic regulations, which specify how sidewalks should be marked

10 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

by the way, all that red point is probably against traffic regulations, which specify how sidewalks should be marked

And what is the way 'sidewalks should be marked'?

The vendor is just following the normal habit of shops, restuarants and other vendors who regularly block footways with their good, pedestrians are forced into the roadway and into danger. Police and authorities do nothing to prevent this and its becoming a real problem.

• Like 4

This has been an issues for a long time. My mother-in-law landed in hospital with a broken coccyx after been hit by motorbike in a situation where she was forced to walk on the road. Not that a footpath would have necessarily saved her, seen plenty of motorcycles riding on footpaths in my time here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Santa said:

And what is the way 'sidewalks should be marked'?

Think international standard practice is Black and White.

Some of the local crossings near Govt buildings are now getting 3D image crossings.  Look Ok too.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, HiuMak said:

I wouldn't sit there to dine. Its just suicidal

Give the restaurant owner a week or two and he'll have barriers in place and the road reduced to one lane with a whistle blower or two directing traffic.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

Think international standard practice is Black and White.

Blue and White in Italy. Also Blue and White around the Uni in Buriram.

This is somewhere in Thailand.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6mW520haCFMV6H__huy_ew6fkFHtAKrjUhQ&usqp=CAU

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

national crosswalk month. not easy, cause cannot just close those. every time i see accident on a u-turn, they just barricade it with concrete blocks.

Sidewalks?

4 minutes ago, Santa said:

Blue and White in Italy. Also Blue and White around the Uni in Buriram.

Black and white are zebra crossings what do the call blue and white crossings?????🙃

See the source image

• Like 2

i actually saw "Death Race 2000" in 1975. Thailand always reminds me of this film. This restaurant on a crosswalk could be a scene right out of "Death Race 2022 Thailand". Some very cartoonish blood and guts in clip so be warned. 

• Cool 1

Now if police could only walk a beat and fine the people, have them remove their tables, chairs, and motorbikes parked on the sidewalks here in Patttaya, that would be even better

I was waiting at a zebra crossing on the outer moat in CM yesterday.  A police truck was coming with its lights on (but not driving fast as on a call) and this police truck did not stop to let me go across. 

Cars started slowing and stopping after I got off the curb to start to cross.
The police truck could have been an example and stopped easily, but nope ....
There was also a policeman on the pavement across the street just standing there too.

Why would other drivers stop if the police don't have to?

16 minutes ago, Haole.TH said:

I was waiting at a zebra crossing on the outer moat in CM yesterday.  A police truck was coming with its lights on (but not driving fast as on a call) and this police truck did not stop to let me go across. 

Cars started slowing and stopping after I got off the curb to start to cross.
The police truck could have been an example and stopped easily, but nope ....
There was also a policeman on the pavement across the street just standing there too.

Why would other drivers stop if the police don't have to?

I remember sitting in a coffee shop ( Black Canyon ? ) at Thapae Gate right in front of a Pelican Crossing ( light controlled ) watching people trying to cross the road, the traffic refused to stop !!

It’s okay trying to educate the Thai populace to stop for pedestrians now but when previously they wouldn’t stop for lights trying to get them to stop without lights is going to be an uphill battle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

What about yellow and white …. and red ….. and black ??

A47734F5-2E21-4796-850C-FDDE9ABA44D1.thumb.jpeg.6826a08fd1d73a5ef1f7fb924d307721.jpeg

Black and white and red all over - surely that's a newspaper?

• Haha 1