News Forum - Many foreigners caught unaware of stricter Covid-19 visa rules

Thaiger

Confusion and dismay are hitting long-staying foreign travellers in Thailand, as many were relieved to see the Covid-19 visa exemption extended, but missed the strict revisions in the fine print. While the decree was extended from the January 25 deadline at the last minute to March 25, the people who are allowed to take advantage of the easy-to-extend visa exemption were limited. The glory days of sidestepping pesky border bounces during the pandemic have come to a close for foreigners staying long-term in Thailand. The newly revised Covid-19 extension stamp is now available only for those who previously had a […]

The story Many foreigners caught unaware of stricter Covid-19 visa rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

As was very clear from the last article and announcement, except apparently some "long staying foreign travellers" didn't want to believe it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, diegogg said:

So if you arrive now without a visa and get 30 days, can you extend for another 30 days like old days?

yes---I did it--i then went for covid ext and got 14 days--told to come back on feb 2 for another 45 days(fingers crossed)    came to LOS visa exempt in nov 2021

52 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

yes---I did it--i then went for covid ext and got 14 days--told to come back on feb 2 for another 45 days(fingers crossed)    came to LOS visa exempt in nov 2021

Thank you, but you entered in November last year. We're 3 months away, time in which Thailand changed its regulations about a hundred times.

1 hour ago, Jmnasoc said:

Skipping Thailand and going to Singapore and Cambodia instead.  Hope the policies get more realistic. You’re test and go hotels are a rip off 

check into the Philippines. if you from one of the 157 countries, only test before depart, then no quarantee, no hotel, no more testing, no BS paperwork

• Like 2

Do Thailand really want tourists to stay or do they not, what on earth are the authorities doing??? Why would you intentionally make visa extensions so difficult when the economy and business sector are screaming out for more tourists. It is absolutely unbelievable what the authorities dream up and make mandatory for tourists to extend. What is the difference in people who have a 30 - 60 day tourist visa or a covid extension visa in terms of renewal, stupidity at its height!

Maybe they are looking for the brown envelopes!!! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paulw said:

Do Thailand really want tourists to stay or do they not, what on earth are the authorities doing??? Why would you intentionally make visa extensions so difficult when the economy and business sector are screaming out for more tourists. It is absolutely unbelievable what the authorities dream up and make mandatory for tourists to extend. What is the difference in people who have a 30 - 60 day tourist visa or a covid extension visa in terms of renewal, stupidity at its height!

If you want to stay then get the appropriate visa. Long stays should get a Non-O visa good for one year. Tourist visa are usually for 30 or 60 days not permanent residency.

• Like 1

Get a proper visa and stop taking the piss all you moaners.

Think yourselves lucky you lasted this long seeing as how its been possible to return home for a long time now. Covid is,frankly, no longer an excuse.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Astonishing that it lasted so long, perhaps a little more notice of the intention to change would have been sensible, why antagonise folks unnecessarily, still Thailand is not a country contaminated by logic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

If you want to stay then get the appropriate visa. Long stays should get a Non-O visa good for one year. Tourist visa are usually for 30 or 60 days not permanent residency.

1 hour ago, Paulw said:

Try overstaying your visa in AU or US, don’t understand the moaners, as for the contribution to the economy, I guess the bar girls might be a bit put out, but they don’t exist do they......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Try overstaying your visa in AU or US, don’t understand the moaners, as for the contribution to the economy, I guess the bar girls might be a bit put out, but they don’t exist do they......

Very inconvenient for beg packers and low end tourists who want to stay forever. They've had a good run for a couple of years but hopefully the end is in sight.  As far as their contributions to society, I can't see any and I doubt they will be missed. Maybe they can find a more friendly reception elsewhere, or maybe they can go home and find a job.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:02 PM, diegogg said:

Thank you, but you entered in November last year. We're 3 months away, time in which Thailand changed its regulations about a hundred times.

i just saw the open window and took the leap of faith as the fickle thais change stuff in a new york minute

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:30 AM, Paulw said:

Hopefully the brown envelops will include your tickets home. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, dj230 said:

So if you came on a visa exempt but have gotten the covid extension a few times already you're still allowed to get the covid extension?

Very good question: did you find a relatively recent answer?

2 hours ago, gavi said:

Very good question: did you find a relatively recent answer?

Don't quote me on this but I read that if you are doing it the first time you're okay, if its not the first time they can say no.

I found an agent though, I might choose to use them just to be safe

• 2 weeks later...

I can assist other foreigners. I've had mine extended again in Feb and I'm on a non b so I've got the covid for the 2nd time. * Removed* If you want to know more. Though it's a bit costly I can assist as I've had mine done. 

Edited by Faraday
Removed personal information. Against Forum Guidelines