News Forum - British journalist documents beer-fuelled parties with Covid patients at Phuket quarantine hotel

Thaiger

British journalist Jonathan Miller was declared to be at high risk of Covid-19 after entering Thailand and ended up in a quarantine hotel in Phuket… which he says was more like an “Asian Hotel California” with “late-night discos fuelled by local beer.” Miller, known in Thailand as the first foreign reporter to interview King Vajiralongkorn after his coronation, wrote a report was published in the Sunday Times headlined “They coughed, they danced, they drank beer: life as a paying prisoner at a Thai quarantine hotel.” His partner tested positive after entering the Phuket Sandbox, and the two of them checked […]

The story British journalist documents beer-fuelled parties with Covid patients at Phuket quarantine hotel as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Apparently that hotel makes up new rules as it sees fit. Why not? They’ve already got a captive audience to spend more money on enticements. 
On a side note, that journalist won’t be get any more Royal interviews in the near future I bet 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nivram said:

Why not?

They are with other mildly infected prisoners, oop sorry tourists

Ha-ha, that's exactly what I thought at first, until realising that the quarantine process would rule-out those on day-14 partying with the newly +ively tested ones on day-1 . . . a never-ending Hotel California, maybe, for those that took to it 🍻!

• Like 2

Not even the hotels' fault really. They have no clue and are certainly not qualified in how to run a quarantine facility. They are civilians with no power to stop anything or anyone. And being Thai will likely just avoid the confrontation anyway.

I seem to recall that Tim even registered his house as SHA+ "Newton Mansions" at the start of this nonsense to show how ridiculously stupid things are.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CamPat said:

What do you expect from British ? They just follow their PM Boris Johnson. 

Guilty as charged. But we know how to have a party, hey?😃

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rain said:

Journalist? 

Hmmm....

One would think that a real journalist would be pursuing things much more worthy. 

Like zebra crossing fatalities or a foreigner fighting locals in Pattaya . . . plenty of worthy stuff to go at, there, or maybe Red Bull's extradition failing . . . that will draw the crowds 🤫.

• Like 2

Having Covid doesn't mean you instantly have to plan your funeral. Even though the news would try to make you believe otherwise. 

They all have covid, so what's the problem? They are not a danger to each other. 

With a title like this, all I read is: OMG, they have Covid! And...oh no.... They also have fun! 😱😱😱 That can't be true! They should die, because that's what people should believe! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What’s the fuss about ? they all had Covid (if you can believe the tests) ... I hope they sent out for some birds ! Imagine being vaccinated, tested before departure then being sent to a third rate hotel with disgusting food and treated like a criminal after a second or third dubious test. If this nonsense carries on I foresee some serious rioting in these so called hospitels  when it finally dawns on tourists what a massively overpriced  organised scam this is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A friend living in Phuket visited the hotel. After being relieved one of the guys in quarantaine said he drank more beer than on a day not in quarantaine.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CharlesW said:

What’s the fuss about ? they all had Covid (if you can believe the tests) ... I hope they sent out for some birds ! Imagine being vaccinated, tested before departure then being sent to a third rate hotel with disgusting food and treated like a criminal after a second or third dubious test. If this nonsense carries on I foresee some serious rioting in these so called hospitels  when it finally dawns on tourists what a massively overpriced  organised scam this is.

Save the drama for your momma, like they say in Milton Keynes. 

It'll all be over soon. Until then have some Kratom and relax. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Easterneye said:

Bloody hotel should be shut for good serving alcohol during that time 

The journalist seems to be following the lead of his prime minister! Joining in sounds like the height of stupidity to me

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nivram said:

Why not?

They are with other mildly infected prisoners, oop sorry tourists

The journalist wasn’t even positive when he arrived as far as I understand. Just quarantined because his partner was positive. He certainly made sure that he is positive now. What a moron!

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

British journalist Jonathan Miller was declared to be at high risk of Covid-19 after entering Thailand and ended up in a quarantine hotel in Phuket… which he says was more like an “Asian Hotel California” with “late-night discos fuelled by local beer.”

More like a discotel than a hospitel

13 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Not even the hotels' fault really. They have no clue and are certainly not qualified in how to run a quarantine facility. They are civilians with no power to stop anything or anyone. And being Thai will likely just avoid the confrontation anyway.

I seem to recall that Tim even registered his house as SHA+ "Newton Mansions" at the start of this nonsense to show how ridiculously stupid things are.

Seems like you empathy with all those so called "Hospitels" . As you mentioned, they have no clue and qualified to be a quarantine facilities. However they became hospitel by corruption with local authorities. 

Supposed the loss of last two years with lack of tourists plus the big amount of cash to the authorities. All those comes to the expensive bills payed by innocent tourists. Besides  thais releated to tourism consider foreigners are so fxxking rich. Have you ever seen the two version menus in restraunt written in Thai and English which the english menus are double priced? No you won't cuz you can't either speak or read thai.

Qoute from Stanislaw Jerzy Lec "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rain said:

Journalist? 

Hmmm....

One would think that a real journalist would be pursuing things much more worthy. 

What would you suggest? If during a pandemic reporting on peoples safety isn’t seen as worthy, then what is? Just asking. 

5 hours ago, Stevejm said:

The journalist wasn’t even positive when he arrived as far as I understand. Just quarantined because his partner was positive. He certainly made sure that he is positive now. What a moron!

Why is he a moron? What in your view did he do that was moronic? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

9 minutes ago, TimAn said:

Have you ever seen the two version menus in restraunt written in Thai and English which the english menus are double priced? No you won't cuz you can't either speak or read thai.

Used to see that a lot years ago

52 minutes ago, Wozzlegummich said:

WHy do the links to the story no longer work - CENSORSHIP?

Good question, @Wozzlegummich, especially since my post in the closely related thread, as here . . .

. . . has also had its 'partying' link given the 'Error 404! treatment. Maybe just too damning a revelation in Miller's report and photo.

And your debut post, too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk, where I hope disappearing links will be a rarity!