Jump to content

News Forum - Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment, including manslaughter charges, for drivers who fail to observe pedestrian crossing rules. According to a Bangkok Post report, 30 members of various road safety networks gathered at Government House to file a petition with Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwon, who chairs the national committee on road safety policy and prevention. The move is in response to the death of a Bangkok ophthalmologist as she was using a zebra crossing on Phaya Thai Road last Friday. Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul was struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer, Norawich Buadok. Her death created […]

The story Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck with that one, from what I have seen everybody ignores crossings, they are a hazard to pedestrians. A few years ago there was a Russian lady killed on Sukhumvit road here in South Pattaya, a few months later the crossing was removed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment, including manslaughter charges, for drivers who fail to observe pedestrian crossing rules. According to a Bangkok Post report, 30 members of various road safety networks gathered at Government House to file a petition with Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwon, who chairs the national committee on road safety policy and prevention. The move is in response to the death of a Bangkok ophthalmologist as she was using a zebra crossing on Phaya Thai Road last Friday. Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul was struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer, Norawich Buadok. Her death created […]

The story Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Typical, always reactive.   they would not know what it is to be proactive

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment, including manslaughter charges, for drivers who fail to observe pedestrian crossing rules. According to a Bangkok Post report, 30 members of various road safety networks gathered at Government House to file a petition with Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwon, who chairs the national committee on road safety policy and prevention. The move is in response to the death of a Bangkok ophthalmologist as she was using a zebra crossing on Phaya Thai Road last Friday. Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul was struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer, Norawich Buadok. Her death created […]

The story Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A great idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Typical, always reactive.   they would not know what it is to be proactive

They? 

People have been killed in my city on bikes and sidewalks, crossing the street, and it's very far from Thailand. 

It's only when upper class women or a horrific criminal kills someone it makes the news. Most just die and become a statistic. 

Pedestrian safety gets poor support in lots of cities, maybe even yours.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Vince said:

They? 

People have been killed in my city on bikes and sidewalks, crossing the street, and it's very far from Thailand. 

It's only when upper class women or a horrific criminal kills someone it makes the news. Most just die and become a statistic. 

Pedestrian safety gets poor support in lots of cities, maybe even yours.  

I will just refer to 3 asian countrys where I have/ would feel very safe crossing a a zebra crossing. Japan, Sth Korea and Singapore. I think my country is fine also

"They"  maybe i needed to be clearer Thai authorities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

a few months later the crossing was removed.

Therein lies the perfect solution!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This morning Mrs.T said...."Yesterday I was waiting to cross the road and ALL the traffic stopped, I didn't know what to do".........😆

I did told her, in future, when they stop, do not think they will all stop every time, look between the cars as you cross, both sides....😬  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Transam said:

Yesterday I was waiting to cross the road and ALL the traffic stopped, I didn't know what to do

They were waiting for her to get halfway across, ….. giving her a sporting chance!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you step off the sidewalk into the crossing and continue and notice a car flashing their lights ,be careful! In Thailand it doesn’t always mean the oncoming vehicle is yielding!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

I will just refer to 3 asian countrys where I have/ would feel very safe crossing a a zebra crossing. Japan, Sth Korea and Singapore. I think my country is fine also

"They"  maybe i needed to be clearer Thai authorities.

Hey, not Vietnam?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

If you step off the sidewalk into the crossing and continue and notice a car flashing their lights ,be careful! In Thailand it doesn’t always mean the oncoming vehicle is yielding!

Ha, ha!

In the UK flashing headlights means I can proceed but it is the complete opposite in Thailand. Flashing lights in Thailand means "GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vince said:

They? 

People have been killed in my city on bikes and sidewalks, crossing the street, and it's very far from Thailand. 

It's only when upper class women or a horrific criminal kills someone it makes the news. Most just die and become a statistic. 

Pedestrian safety gets poor support in lots of cities, maybe even yours.  

And your city is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There has to be thought given to the positioning of zebra crossings. Ther are really only suitable for dual carriage ways on lesser roads that have lower traffic flows. Eight lane carriageways like the one pictured should have traffic lights and pedestrian crossing controlled by walk and don't walk signs with timers displayed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, steve860 said:

And your city is?

It's a city far far from Thailand  :-) 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment,

Which will be Stringently enforced by Thailands diligent Police Force as they are well versed in every Thai Law.

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer,

Maybe not we’ll versed in every law. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, steve860 said:

So come on, where ?

Where I live is not on-topic, sorry. This is not about me. 

That's all I can say, Khun steve860 

818175091_tenor(1).gif.2397682a07b47ee17527788566bc2224.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Vince said:

Where I live is not on-topic, sorry. This is not about me. 

That's all I can say, Khun steve860 

818175091_tenor(1).gif.2397682a07b47ee17527788566bc2224.gif

What a tossa you are, can't even say where you come from. And don't come the Khun bollox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vince said:

Where I live is not on-topic, sorry. This is not about me. 

That's all I can say, Khun steve860 

818175091_tenor(1).gif.2397682a07b47ee17527788566bc2224.gif

You have pretty much made every topic about you......

 

Then stop talking about "your city " if you refuse to answer when people ask you what city

 

It's annoying and retarded 

 

Either shut up about your city or say where it is 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Vince said:

It's a city far far from Thailand  :-) 

sounds like in fairytale land 😀......In a land far far away.........

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

sounds like in fairytale land 😀......In a land far far away.........

Old-Ben-obi-wan-kenobi-20375221-1600-1200.thumb.jpg.fddca593967bbd4a9324f46d873b1805.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Thommo said:

I will just refer to 3 asian countrys where I have/ would feel very safe crossing a a zebra crossing. Japan, Sth Korea and Singapore. I think my country is fine also

"They"  maybe i needed to be clearer Thai authorities.

Yes I agree @Thommo  it’s utterly ridiculous that you need to spell this out to people. You can have a situation where there are 20,000-25,000 road fatalities a year and the UK has around 1,800-2,500 a year with a similar population. Japan around 4,000 a year with almost twice the population, and yet some people on here try to claim they are both equally poor in road safety. Of course these people are being deliberately provocative. They are either professional trolls paid by forums as clickbait, ignorant people who fail to understand statistics, Thailand lovers who will have nothing said negative about a country they are essentially marooned in, or just plain thick! 
 

Thailand has many of the same laws as countries with far fewer fatalities. They can introduce another 100 laws and it will make little to no difference. Laws are only effective when you have law enforcers (police), low to no corruption of enforcers and prosecutors and when peer pressure is brought to bear on violators. Little to none of these exist in Thailand. 

646141B3-7487-45B6-97FA-ED26B03D03B1.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use