Experience of AXA Covid Insurance through The Thaiger

Has anyone here used the AXA Covid Travel Insurance through The Thaiger yet? 

Traveling to BKK in March and my Travel Insurance (as part of home insurance) covers me for everything except the potential for Alternative Quarantine in case of a positive PCR test. Thinking about buying an extra policy that will specifically cover me for that possible eventuality and wondered if anyone had any experience of using the AXA Insurance through The Thaiger's page?

How quick are they to respond? How good was the price quoted? Did it cover AQ expenses?

Would love to hear people's experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimJammer said:

Traveling to BKK in March and my Travel Insurance (as part of home insurance) covers me for everything except the potential for Alternative Quarantine in case of a positive PCR test. Thinking about buying an extra policy that will specifically cover me for that possible eventuality and wondered if anyone had any experience of using the AXA Insurance through The Thaiger's page?

How quick are they to respond? How good was the price quoted? Did it cover AQ expenses?

Im sure someone will come along with more knowledge about AXA.

I wanted to mention that the so called Thai officials responsible for these requirements reportedly are working with these Insurance companies to address the  shoddy policy coverage when asymptomatic !

There has been much talk lately of being forced to quarantine with no symptoms and the Insurance companies dragging their feet!

Due diligence is your friend . Just a thought!

Good luck

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JimJammer said:

I purchased and then didn't use an AXA policy (don't recall if through Thaigher, I think it wasn't, they're just an "affiliate" is my guess anyway). 

I postponed and then suspended my travel plans and contacted AXA about date changes. I received a reasonably prompt reply in English giving me a case number and letting me know to reference it when my plans are settled for a new policy date. 

That's the best I can do.

I think this is a great topic and I hope others can answer the question with actual usage.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vince said:

I think this is a great topic and I hope others can answer the question with actual usage.

Thanks Vince. Think I'm going to call AXA directly (I'm sure they have Swedish office!) and speak to them directly rather than waiting for someone to get back to me through the Thaiger Portal (submitted a couple of days ago and still nothing).

I might also call my insurers in Sweden (Folksam) to see if they can offer me a bespoke policy that covers AQ in the event of a positive test (asymptomatic or not!).

I'll try to keep this thread updated with news as it comes in.

• Like 1

Minor Update.

Some serious delving into the AXA offering suggests that the ONE THING not covered is Hospital, Hospital or Hotel quarantine in the event of a positive PCR test result on Day 1 or Day 5. "Medical Expense", yes. Quarantine costs, nope.

As is often the way with these things, going as close to the source of information as possible reaps rewards. The Royal Thai Embassy in Stockholm clearly directs people to: https://covid19.tgia.org/ to purchase travel insurance directly from the Thai General Insurance Association (TGIA). Properly official.

T&Cs state: "Limitation for medical expenses: The inpatient room and board rate shall not exceed  a single standard room rate applicable to each medical facility/hospital."

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest this insurance covers quarantine in the event of a Day 1 or Day 5 positive PCR test result.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 9:41 PM, JimJammer said:

Minor Update.

Some serious delving into the AXA offering suggests that the ONE THING not covered is Hospital, Hospital or Hotel quarantine in the event of a positive PCR test result on Day 1 or Day 5. "Medical Expense", yes. Quarantine costs, nope.

As is often the way with these things, going as close to the source of information as possible reaps rewards. The Royal Thai Embassy in Stockholm clearly directs people to: https://covid19.tgia.org/ to purchase travel insurance directly from the Thai General Insurance Association (TGIA). Properly official.

T&Cs state: "Limitation for medical expenses: The inpatient room and board rate shall not exceed  a single standard room rate applicable to each medical facility/hospital."

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest this insurance covers quarantine in the event of a Day 1 or Day 5 positive PCR test result.

hmmm the TGIA link only lets me choose 30 days?? I'm traveling longer and most disappointing there is zero detail of the cover.

I can contribute the following experience to AXA Sawasdee Thailand Insurance:

At the end of December 2021 I bought the insurance for my trip at the end of January. Priced at 2,250 baht. When the discussion about the "cut off date" to enter Thailand came up, I canceled my trip and also emailed AXA asking for a refund. After 5 days I received an answer that my request was forwarded to the appropriate department. It then took a few more days before I received another email that my refund had been approved. But I should wait about 30 days until the amount is credited back to my credit card. (So I'm still waiting...)

Now I have taken out the policy again for a re-registration of the Thailand Pass (Test&Go). However, I was very surprised, because now the insurance suddenly no longer costs 2,250 baht, but "3,350" baht. Although AXA's services haven't changed, and I haven't aged a year since then. It appears AXA has increased the price of the policy as part of the continuation of the Test&Go program.

Let's just hope that AXA's response in the event of a claim is quicker than the contact I had with them and that they settle the matter without any problems.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

I can contribute the following experience to AXA Sawasdee Thailand Insurance:

At the end of December 2021 I bought the insurance for my trip at the end of January. Priced at 2,250 baht. When the discussion about the "cut off date" to enter Thailand came up, I canceled my trip and also emailed AXA asking for a refund. After 5 days I received an answer that my request was forwarded to the appropriate department. It then took a few more days before I received another email that my refund had been approved. But I should wait about 30 days until the amount is credited back to my credit card. (So I'm still waiting...)

Now I have taken out the policy again for a re-registration of the Thailand Pass (Test&Go). However, I was very surprised, because now the insurance suddenly no longer costs 2,250 baht, but "3,350" baht. Although AXA's services haven't changed, and I haven't aged a year since then. It appears AXA has increased the price of the policy as part of the continuation of the Test&Go program.

Let's just hope that AXA's response in the event of a claim is quicker than the contact I had with them and that they settle the matter without any problems.

hmmm the AXA site is very vague with it's cover description. Have you found they cover hotel and or hospital quarantine ?

56 minutes ago, SuSuFarang said:

hmmm the AXA site is very vague with it's cover description. Have you found they cover hotel and or hospital quarantine ?

They aren't vague at all

If you go to the FAQ page they go over almost any scenario 

10 hours ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

Strange, on 31st January I paid 2250.