News Forum - BA.2 sub-variant of Omicron in Thailand reaches 14, 1 death

Thaiger

After earlier reports that 9 cases of the new sub-strain of Omicron, the BA.2 sub-variant, had been identified in Thailand so far, that total has already increased to 14. The infections in Thailand involve both Thai nationals and international travellers. It was also confirmed that the first death in Thailand from the Omicron variant reported earlier this month was in fact infected with this new strain. The death toll for the Omicron variant in Thailand has now reached 7 people which is 0.1% of all Covid-19 infections. That first death of Omicron was recorded in Songkhla province in the south […]

The story BA.2 sub-variant of Omicron in Thailand reaches 14, 1 death as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So for now nothing of more concern as there already is.

Omikron will most likely become dominant in Thailand as it currently does in the rest of the world. Given its lesser lethality compared with Delta this means that probably everyone will develop immunity of some sort - either because of vaccination or infection. A number of western European countries such as Spain, the Netherlands and Denmark are already relaxing their Covid rules, and we'll see what will happen with the Sandbox and Test&Go-programs. I do not believe that Thailand will continue with this test regime which does only make very limited sense, especially with this 2nd test on day 5. Omikron is in Thailand, this part of the damage is done anyway.

• Like 1

No one knows what the 'true' figures for any of the variants are in Thailand. From day one it's been a lottery as to whether you get a test, a vaccination or sod all. The figures the Thai Government submit can be taken with a large pinch of salt. Their focus is how they can legally scam potential tourists. Decades ago, China was branded the sick man of Asia. I wonder who holds this title now?

The difficult part about Omicron is that so many people become infected that the numbers of seriously ill (even though less as a percentage of total infections) are still significantly higher and cause a strain on hospital systems. The surge is coming for Thailand. But you have had more time to prepare than we did, so hopefully, you can cope better.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

The difficult part about Omicron is that so many people become infected that the numbers of seriously ill (even though less as a percentage of total infections) are still significantly higher and cause a strain on hospital systems. The surge is coming for Thailand. But you have had more time to prepare than we did, so hopefully, you can cope better.

That is true as can be seen in the UK, until today we had to wear masks, work from home, have a covid vaccine pass to go into large venues.

All that has gone now, but we are still having over a hundred thousand cases a day, 450 people die in England alone (not UK) per day due to it but for some reason that does not seem to matter.

These actions are against most medical professional advice but we are opening as Boris(Prime Minister UK) is down in the polls, he may have told one or two untruths recently and has been criticised publicly and is trying to claw back support from the masses by removing restrictions.

Thailand does very few tests in comparison and so will of course have very few reported cases. 

13 hours ago, Fundok said:

Omikron will most likely become dominant in Thailand as it currently does in the rest of the world. Given its lesser lethality compared with Delta this means that probably everyone will develop immunity of some sort - either because of vaccination or infection. A number of western European countries such as Spain, the Netherlands and Denmark are already relaxing their Covid rules, and we'll see what will happen with the Sandbox and Test&Go-programs. I do not believe that Thailand will continue with this test regime which does only make very limited sense, especially with this 2nd test on day 5. Omikron is in Thailand, this part of the damage is done anyway.

Looks like Covid is over!? 

Champagne 🍾 time doc? 

31 minutes ago, Vince said:

Champagne 🍾 time doc? 

Actually yes, that is what some are saying.  Nobody can predict what sort of future strains may come along though so there won't be champagne, just people getting on with their lives.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fundok said:

I am far from a scientist and have no clue what the hell I'm talking about 

But I just think if Omicron is so mild, it may not offer much antibodies protection either 

5 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

Even though you are being sarcastic the experts are saying this is likely the end of the pandemic and the beginning of it being endemic.  Nobody can predict what sort of future strains may come along but we can't keep living in fear of that.  So it's time to end the madness for now and open everything up.

I am NOT being sarcastic about the pandemic. I am having fun with Khun FUNdok, maybe a little bit ;-)

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I am far from a scientist and have no clue what the hell I'm talking about 

But I just think if Omicron is so mild, it may not offer much antibodies protection either 

Actual scientists say it offers a lot.  In fact it's a best case scenario.  A milder variant that offers robust protection from the more severe variant.  It's not an alternative to vaccines though, which some anti-vaxxers are clinging to as another excuse not to get jabbed.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1

Just now, samiam123 said:

Well actual scientists say it offers a lot.  In fact it's a best case scenario.  A milder variant that offers protection from the more severe variant.

Indeed. A big problem with the Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 was its novelty

It's now just another virus.

A mild infection can prepare against stronger variants, hopefully :-) 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Champagne 🍾 time doc? 

I don't see any doctors partying at the moment, they are all worn out, well the ones I know are.

• Haha 1

Just now, JamesR said:

I don't see any doctors partying at the moment, they are all worn out, well the ones I know are.

This is a reference to a comment from @Fundokin another topic where he said "don't pop the champagne corks yet, COVID is not over". 

And here he seems to be saying... COVID is over?!

So pop the champagne 🍾?! 

35 minutes ago, Vince said:

I am NOT being sarcastic about the pandemic. I am having fun with Khun FUNdok, maybe a little bit ;-)

And let's hope we are not one of the 450 killed each day (Uk for example), the number soon to rise I think with the opening up of the country today.

I suppose we have now entered a new Russian Roulette game. 

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Vince said:

This is a reference to a comment from @Fundokin another topic where he said "don't pop the champagne corks yet, COVID is not over". 

And here he seems to be saying... COVID is over?!

So pop the champagne 🍾?! 

I see, maybe just go half way and get the beer out? 😄

• Like 1

Just now, JamesR said:

And let's hope we are not one of the 450 killed each day (Uk for example), the number soon to rise I think with the opening up of the country today.

I suppose we have now entered a new Russian Roulette game. 

As opposed to those who die from avoidable cardiovascular disease, auto accidents, or perhaps the increased side effects of isolation and depression - including alcohol and drug abuse - from COVID restrictions? 

Life's a gamble, 

“The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.” – Bob Nastanovich

1 minute ago, Vince said:

As opposed to those who die from avoidable cardiovascular disease, auto accidents, or perhaps the increased side effects of isolation and depression - including alcohol and drug abuse - from COVID restrictions? 

Life's a gamble, 

“The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.” – Bob Nastanovich

We do try and avoid cardiovascular disease with all sorts of treatments and life style options, we wear seat belts in cars, have crumple zones and try and stick to the rules to avoid those happening.

We should  be continuing to do the same with the virus until it is safer, it is not great deal to wear a mask or drink at home etc, it is not the end of the world.

Plus there are a lot more people in hospital beds here who need 24 hour care due to the virus which is blocking beds and operations for other people who as a result are dying.

Or should we not bother with any of the actions above cos Bob has told us to.

"The more you bet and win the more you want to bet and eventually find yourself skint or dead". - me

• Cool 1