News Forum - Venues in Phuket selling alcohol must apply for new permit

Thaiger

First, they shut all the bars and entertainment venues selling alcohol in Thailand. Then they said those venues could reopen, but not as a boozy bar, rather as restaurants, who eventually were allowed to sell a bit of alcohol again, now until 11 pm. But now in Phuket, entertainment venues that were originally licenced to sell alcohol but then got licenced to serve food (so they could sell alcohol) must now get a new license to sell alcohol in their bar turned restaurant turned bar again. In a new twist for the saga of entertainment venues in Thailand during Covid-19, […]

The story Venues in Phuket selling alcohol must apply for new permit as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

First, they shut all the bars and entertainment venues selling alcohol in Thailand. Then they said those venues could reopen, but not as a boozy bar, rather as restaurants, who eventually were allowed to sell a bit of alcohol again, now until 11 pm. But now in Phuket, entertainment venues that were originally licenced to sell alcohol but then got licenced to serve food (so they could sell alcohol) must now get a new license to sell alcohol in their bar turned restaurant turned bar again. In a new twist for the saga of entertainment venues in Thailand during Covid-19, […]

The story Venues in Phuket selling alcohol must apply for new permit as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is is already April 1st? Fools day?

Obviously, the authorities have little empathty for those venues who went through tough times with a grim outlook for the upcoming months since the high season is about to phase out in February. So the least, one should think, would be to come up with new administrative hurdles but hey, this is Thailand... First we disincentivise tourists and then we set up a new licensing regime. Never a dull moment.

• Like 1

Sounds like they're simply codifying all the many changes, which makes sense.

The whole 'drinkeries dressed up as eateries' ploy is a farce, but at least this way it'll be much easier to blame the drinkeries for not complying when it all goes pear shaped rather than having to admit it was a stupid, doomed plan.

19 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Asserting control over a process that they lost control of years ago #thegreatreset 

. . . #theumpteenthgreatreset . . . taking a generical view if this regime's remit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Sounds like they're simply codifying all the many changes, which makes sense.

The whole 'drinkeries dressed up as eateries' ploy is a farce, but at least this way it'll be much easier to blame the drinkeries for not complying when it all goes pear shaped rather than having to admit it was a stupid, doomed plan.

I saw this same plan in my own country and even my own city, far far away from Thailand. 

A modest 400 THB required food purchase was needed before I could buy a whisky soda, for another 400 THB. 

I guess it shows that corruption is not unique to Thailand. 

• Haha 1

Multiple Purposes: 

Which Taxable businesses still exist

Business Tax Base adjustment 

Work Creation for bureaucrats

Adopt New Hygiene Laws into Business Licensing

Identify Most Profitable Businesses for Tax & Tea Money Raids

Hey, it’s not just Thailand. In the UK we famously had questions raised in Parliament as to whether a Scotch egg constituted a “substantial meal”.

People sat at tables drinking with a knife, fork, serviette and plate whilst supposedly waiting for their “meal” to arrive.

You can see the dilemma, trying to limit spread whilst minimising impact on businesses. A crowded bar with people shouting spreads far more than people sat at tables in a restaurant. In the restaurant one table gets infected, in the bar everyone gets brought down.

As for implementation of laws, even I’ve witnessed what goes on and I’m just a casual tourist visitor…. :-)