News Forum - QR code can now replace a physical driver’s licence

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Or you battery goes dead? 

Or the police's battery goes dead; or the insurance agent's?

It's only practical if all the police and insurance agent / assessors have QR code readers or apps, and are in a wi-fi zone or have internet coverage.

... and also if everyone else does, as without them it's impossible for drivers to exchange information in the event of an accident.

Until that happens, it's little more than a gimmick.

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

IDP's are valid for 12 months from date of issue, but only 90 days from date of entry (supported by a national driving licence), so if you want to use them (together) for longer then you need to leave after 90 days and re-enter.

Yes. But in practice since Thai police can’t read English they just accept the recognized IDP without checking validity or vehicle type etc. Driving on expired IDP raises legal and insurance breach issues though in case of accident so certainly not recommended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santa said:

Like most things implemented in Thailand the thing is never thought threw properly first. An example being when they banned the carrying of passengers on the back of pick ups. Approx a month or so after implementing the ban they retracted it.

Actually it was within a couple of days due to the enormous public outcry.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Or the police's battery goes dead; or the insurance agent's?

It's only practical if all the police and insurance agent / assessors have QR code readers or apps, and are in a wi-fi zone or have internet coverage.

... and also if everyone else does, as without them it's impossible for drivers to exchange information in the event of an accident.

Until that happens, it's little more than a gimmick.

Exactly.Or Servers with the Data become unavailable ( EMP, Cyber Attack) .

ID Card Pass overcomes all these tech issues so will be around for a long time yet. IT tech will continue to validate hard Pass but not replace it quite yet. Only flaw is that cards can be Lost / Stolen / Damaged so always retain a Photo and Photocopy !

• Like 1

I don't understand.... At the moment of getting my driver's license last year, I got myself an app which provides a QRcode linked to my driver's license. Isn't this old news? 

This is a bad idea. People should not be reduced to QR codes. I'll keep doing all the burdensome paperwork, if it means keeping my freedoms. Thank you.

33 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I don't understand.... At the moment of getting my driver's license last year, I got myself an app which provides a QRcode linked to my driver's license. Isn't this old news? 

It sounds like it.
When the QR code licences first came out it was news, although at the time there was no law in place to allow you to produce a QR code image instead of your licence if stopped by the police.
I'm guessing now - as it hasn't been clearly explained - that perhaps the law has now been changed to allow the police to accept it instead of the real licence?

11 minutes ago, TravellingThaiGerrr said:

This is a bad idea. People should not be reduced to QR codes. I'll keep doing all the burdensome paperwork, if it means keeping my freedoms. Thank you.

Not heard of it . Purpose is what over much more practical DLT License Cards ? Tech for sake of tech ……?

3 hours ago, Santa said:

Like most things implemented in Thailand the thing is never thought threw properly first. An example being when they banned the carrying of passengers on the back of pick ups. Approx a month or so after implementing the ban they retracted it.

I recall that, supposedly to bring Thailand into the 21st century.

Sadly they didn't realise that many of Thailand's schools relied on pick ups as school 'buses', as do Thailand's very effective 'Rescue'  services.

One country, two systems ... 😂

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

It sounds like it.
When the QR code licences first came out it was news, although at the time there was no law in place to allow you to produce a QR code image instead of your licence if stopped by the police.
I'm guessing now - as it hasn't been clearly explained - that perhaps the law has now been changed to allow the police to accept it instead of the real licence?

It used to be accepted already. At least, it should have been accepted already. I have an app called DLT QR License. It has been around for a while already. It's from the DLT. Maybe this was old news but the writer thought is was new news and made an article? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Your guess is correct - it's clear in the original.

32 minutes ago, Stonker said:
6 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Your guess is correct - it's clear in the original.

Do you mean in the original of this particular article?

The reason I'm asking is that last year when it was publicised, a few days later there were more details saying that although they had they all-singing-all-dancing QR code licence, but it wasn't yet legally allowed to be accepted by the RTP. It required a change in the law for this to happen.

I know I'm being pedantic here. Yes, it says 'government departments', but I can't see that it says the RTP will accept it, which was exactly the same issue before.

edit:
This was the article in 2019 when the QR code licences were first being issued:
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30362278

5 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Do you mean in the original of this particular article?

The reason I'm asking is that last year when it was publicised, a few days later there were more details saying that although they had they all-singing-all-dancing QR code licence, but it wasn't yet legally allowed to be accepted by the RTP. It required a change in the law for this to happen.

I know I'm being pedantic here. Yes, it says 'government departments', but I can't see that it says the RTP will accept it, which was exactly the same issue before.

edit:
This was the article in 2019 when the QR code licences were first being issued:
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30362278

I mean the original source before it was re-written here.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011430

• Thanks 1