News Forum - QR code can now replace a physical driver’s licence

Thaiger

The Department of Land Transport is getting modern, introducing a QR code people can keep on their mobile phone to replace a physical Thai drivers licence.  Drivers will be able to screenshot a “DLT QR licence” and use the image of the QR code as a substitute for any sort of physical card. The process to get a QR code as a licence is to bring your traditional licence to any DLT branch office. There a motorist can change a traditional licence to a smart licence that has a QR code linked to it. Then the new version of the […]

The story QR code can now replace a physical driver’s licence as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

This is a positive development for law abiding drivers. I would love the option not to have to carry (and risk loosing) another card / ID / piece of paper.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cabra said:

This is a positive development for law abiding drivers. I would love the option not to have to carry (and risk loosing) another card / ID / piece of paper.

What if you lose your phone? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Right now I have to carry both, a wallet and a phone. Would rather have to only carry/keep track of my phone (that if lost is password protected and can be locked and wiped remotely). If I did loose my phone, I'd go home and get my paper IDs/wallet until I get to the phone store. Restoring my phone would be way easier then restoring my wallet.

• Like 2

It's a good thing that my country's driving license is valid for use in Thailand although I think most traffic police may not know about it.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The Department of Land Transport is getting modern, introducing a QR code people can keep on their mobile phone to replace a physical Thai drivers licence. 

I wonder what we will see down Khao San Road …… fake QR codes to match the Fake licenses 😂😂😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

It's a good thing that my country's driving license is valid for use in Thailand

A foreigners license is only valid in Thailand for 3 months from arrival day. Thereafter you/they must obtain a Thai license or you negate your Thai car insurance.

11 minutes ago, Santa said:

A foreigners license is only valid in Thailand for 3 months from arrival day. Thereafter you/they must obtain a Thai license or you negate your Thai car insurance.

Really? I didn't know that. Do you have the source? 

The following links says that my ASEAN driver's license is valid to be used in Thailand without a time limit:

http://agreement.asean.org/media/download/20161129035137.pdf

http://www.aseanthai.net/english/ewt_news.php?nid=321&filename=index

24 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

The following links says that my ASEAN driver's license is valid to be used in Thailand without a time limit:

That is wrong. This is from the same thread you quoted.

The British Embassy Consular Team enquired for us exactly what is needed, which is, UK licence with a valid International Driving Permit, these can be used for 90 days....

How I got to know about it being 90 days was when I got my car insured and the company had it displayed in the small print in English. Strange thing about it is that a Thai can drive in the UK for 12 months and after that must sit a UK driving test.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Here's a source for you.

Your own country’s licence is only recognized in Thailand for 3 months from your arrival date, and even though international licences are legal in Thailand, you may not be able to become fully insured with some companies without a Thai licence.It’s also a great deterrent (along with a helmet, up-to-date registration, and following traffic laws) to friendly police intervention.

https://thailawonline.com/en/others/driving-license-in-thailand.html

Even the lawyer got it wrong. It's an International permit not a license. And the permit must accompany a license.

Edited by Santa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Santa said:

It’s not valid , international is for a certain time that’s it 

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

How you get a lifetime license i only get for 5 year

You can't any more.
It was changed (I think) about twenty years ago. Only those issued years ago have a Thai licence valid for life.

56 minutes ago, Markwick said:

It’s not valid , international is for a certain time that’s it 

What isn't valid? The International permit is valid for 12 months but your home country license is only valid 3 months and then you must obtain a Thai license. Basically that means your International permit is only valid as long as your UK(?) licence in Thailand. 3 months.

How long is an international driving permit valid? The permit is valid for just 12 months from the date of issue, so be sure to keep track of when yours is about to expire.

11 hours ago, Cabra said:

A bit awkward when stopped and the police hold your licence while you go to pay a fine at the station, as can happen.

Do you give them your phone?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Santa said:

What isn't valid? The International permit is valid for 12 months but your home country license is only valid 3 months and then you must obtain a Thai license. Basically that means your International permit is only valid as long as your UK(?) licence in Thailand. 3 months.

IDP's are valid for 12 months from date of issue, but only 90 days from date of entry (supported by a national driving licence), so if you want to use them (together) for longer then you need to leave after 90 days and re-enter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

http://agreement.asean.org/media/download/20161129035137.pdf

http://www.aseanthai.net/english/ewt_news.php?nid=321&filename=index

Sorry, but they don't say that.

The second's not specific but the first clearly says it's only for a "temporary stay".

That's a maximum of 90 days, so all it really does is exempt you from needing an IDP as well as your national licence.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Santa said:

And good luck pulling out none international 

home country you will be fined 

and it’s 90 days not 12 months 

as pointed out you have to leave and return 

19 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Or you battery goes dead? 

This is a positive move. Anything that removes the need for paperwork has to be a good move. It will be interesting to hear from people who go through this process how many pieces of paper are in the trail to achieve the QR code. You should be able to go on line, insert a few details and the QR code appears on your screen with the options to add it to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay. No paperwork and secure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Or you battery goes dead? 

This is a positive move. Anything that removes the need for paperwork has to be a good move. It will be interesting to hear from people who go through this process how many pieces of paper are in the trail to achieve the QR code. You should be able to go on line, insert a few details and the QR code appears on your screen with the options to add it to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay. No paperwork and secure. 

It will be a positive move if accompanied, or followed, by renewal of full licences online.

I'm of the opinion that back-up digital systems, such as a QRcode licence, are good but do not yet replace the current hard copy which I can use in other countries.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Markwick said:

And good luck pulling out none international 

home country you will be fined 

and it’s 90 days not 12 months 

as pointed out you have to leave and return 

What the hell are you on about? May be someone can interpret the above post?

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

Do you give them your phone?

If I can keep it locked (with biometrics and password), sure. The article didn't mention specifically how that would work.

21 minutes ago, Cabra said:

If I can keep it locked (with biometrics and password), sure. The article didn't mention specifically how that would work.

Like most things implemented in Thailand the thing is never thought threw properly first. An example being when they banned the carrying of passengers on the back of pick ups. Approx a month or so after implementing the ban they retracted it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Very trusting of you 😂!

• Haha 1