News Forum - Tourists turn their backs on Rayong over 330-baht antigen testing requirement

Thaiger

2 hours ago, danpeter said:

"Cheapness" or principal? Bon pour vous if you are happy & prepared to splash the cash for a clear scam when its totally unnecessary. These tourists are vaxxed, 3 PCR tests in... How much more BS do you expect of cash cows. I would totally do the same  

It's $10usd

I would pay a hell of lot more if I drove 500km's

And yes it is absurd, I 100% agree 

But it's $10usd.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes....it's only 300 Baht for the test. Think of how much income was lost from just those ten tourists alone. Think of the damage that 300 Baht fee has now done, to Rayong's reputation. It's been publicised widely now....and it's negative publicity.

It's $10usd

Rayong's reputation will survive

I just checked, I figured it would be on the International news right after potential WW3

It was not......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

In the case of the tour group, I doubt it was either 'cheapness' or principle, but expect it was pragmatism.

Given the accuracy (or rather inaccuracy) of ATK tests, in a tour group of even that number the probability is that at least one would be a false positive.

If that happened, and there's a better than even chance that it would, the whole tour group would be quarantined until the results of a PCR test came back.

A single tourist may be happy to take the risk, but with a tour group of ten there's ten times the risk - they'd have been stupid to take that risk.

The article said they complained paying the 330 Baht

Because the $10usd or principal isn't the issue

What you just wrote is, I agree 1000%

Why subject yourself to yet another possible positive result and the hassle

But the article specifically said they balm at the cost 

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

They drove 500kms

And changed their plans over $10usd

The cheapness of some Thai expats and toursists will never cease to amaze me

Its the principal of the matter and taking the stance "if your not part of the solution your part of the problem" and not about being cheap in most cases.same deal with people who ban themselves from national parks etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

So that makes 3 . Two from Test and Go revenue schemes and 1 from Rayong !

Whats disturbing to me is before the 5th day  requirement  ! Your allowed to mix and mingle while possibly carrying the poison! That seems counter productive! 
Trying to stop and spread the virus at the same time!

Stop with the revenue rape ! Make it free or stop testing!

Do another test after 2 or 3 days?

If tested positive after 5 days in Thailand, the advantage for the officials is, that noone can tell, where the people got infected: Before/on the way to Thailand, or during there "go"-time IN Thailand. So statistic wise .....

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Since Thailand's covid rates are low compared to the UK, Europe and the USA,  they must be doing something right or just plain lucky. Complaining about anti covid programs is making you look foolish. If the testing is too great then you should go somewhere more risky and enjoy acquiring natural immunity.  I would only fault Thailand if they didn't do enough and were careless.  It's in the country’s economic interest to do less but they want to do the best for the population.

But how much testing of the general population has thailand really done,seems to be a distinct lack of official transparency in that area to me.you can make statistics say exactly what you want , particularly when you have no checks and balances in the system,look at tat,a fine example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

The article said they complained paying the 330 Baht

Because the $10usd or principal isn't the issue

What you just wrote is, I agree 1000%

Why subject yourself to yet another possible positive result and the hassle

But the article specifically said they balm at the cost 

Agreed, that's how it's written up but do you seriously believe that after driving 500kms a minibusload of foreign tourists would say 'we're not paying 330 baht' and turn around?

This fixation on it being 'all about the money' is just plain stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Since Thailand's covid rates are low compared to the UK, Europe and the USA,  they must be doing something right or just plain lucky

Or not telling the truth!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

It's $10usd

I would pay a hell of lot more if I drove 500km's

And yes it is absurd, I 100% agree 

But it's $10usd.....

What about the forced quarantine if one of your members tests positive? Is your insurance going to cover that? Is the test going to be accurate? LPG is pretty cheap but forced quarantine out of your pocket is not Marc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ERIKN said:

We have changed our plans. Now we are enjoying us in Hua Hin.

After a stressful entry with 3 Pcr tests after 3 Moderna shots, one day lockdown in a way too expensive test and go scam hotel, we are done with more restrictions. 

This is not the way to go.

Are you actually one of the group mentioned in the article?

If so why is there 2 pages of arguing about what the group's motive might be? 😁

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

It's $10usd

Rayong's reputation will survive

I just checked, I figured it would be on the International news right after potential WW3

It was not......

Sure Rayon will survive. But it'll cost them revenue because tourists will simply avoid going there. At the end, this will negativly affect the hospitality and tourism industry in Rayong, and this in the current dire times. All for the stupidity to set up an extra testing regime presumably to make some extra $$$. Those travellers have already undergone ample testing, so they are not importing the virus. But if anyone should have attracted the virus in Thailand (or simply has a false positive test which is not that uncommon) the consequences (quarantine) are dire and much worse than just paying those 330 THB. 

49 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Sure Rayon will survive. But it'll cost them revenue because tourists will simply avoid going there. At the end, this will negativly affect the hospitality and tourism industry in Rayong, and this in the current dire times. All for the stupidity to set up an extra testing regime presumably to make some extra $$$. Those travellers have already undergone ample testing, so they are not importing the virus. But if anyone should have attracted the virus in Thailand (or simply has a false positive test which is not that uncommon) the consequences (quarantine) are dire and much worse than just paying those 330 THB. 

I agree with all of that

I'm sort of arguing both sides here

The article said the tourists balked at the price 

To me, the charge is irrelevant 

It's being exposed to yet another possible positive test result 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I agree with all of that

I'm sort of arguing both sides here

The article said the tourists balked at the price 

To me, the charge is irrelevant 

It's being exposed to yet another possible positive test result 

I agree. Probably the extra cost was just the little extra add-on that made the group decide the way they did.

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

I agree. Probably the extra cost was just the little extra add-on that made the group decide the way they did.

I was actually toying with stopping in Koh Phayam in May

But would drive through and not visit if I need to take another test 

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I was actually toying with stopping in Koh Phayam in May

But would drive through and not visit if I need to take another test 

Wait and see. I am pretty confident that by then things will be different.

23 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Since Thailand's covid rates are low compared to the UK, Europe and the USA,  they must be doing something right or just plain lucky. Complaining about anti covid programs is making you look foolish. If the testing is too great then you should go somewhere more risky and enjoy acquiring natural immunity.  I would only fault Thailand if they didn't do enough and were careless.  It's in the country’s economic interest to do less but they want to do the best for the population. 

I don't think I look foolish if I complain at the 4th test.  I think you missed the whole reasoning. To go to other places you do not need a further PCR test - why is Rayong different?  Is it riskier to go there then say, Ko Lanta?