News Forum - Government wants to closely monitor eateries following extension of alcohol curfew

Thaiger

Now that Thailand’s alcohol curfew has been extended in many provinces, the government is on its toes about cracking down on venues serve past the 11pm cutoff time. A government spokesperson stated today that he wishes for authorities to take sharp measures against eateries violating the new 11pm curfew. Venues that break it will face arrests and loss of operating licenses. As of yesterday, venues that meet the Ministry of Tourism and Sports’ SHA certification, or the Public Health Ministry’s Thai Stop COVID 2 plus standard can serve alcohol until 11pm instead of 9pm in provinces classified as “blue” and […]

The story Government wants to closely monitor eateries following extension of alcohol curfew as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Oops. I thought it was illegal or something to display a photo with the brand of beer in it. Maybe that’s just for ads?

Anyway, the government, er police are already cracking down on those not following rules. Are they actually gather statistics on Covid cases related to these busts? Just more pressure on everyone when the government doesn’t ever really know what to do next, except be in the news. 

• Like 2

This time the drinking curfew is 11pm and we mean it. We’ll admit 9pm curfew wasn’t really serious. But strict compliance will be required this time. We’re being so kind to you to allow you to earn a living. 

This is the best way to control covid for sure. Even though the restaurants don’t have to close, but when they serve water after 11pm you can’t catch covid at all only if they serve alcohol. It’s worked everywhere! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, JJJ said:

This time the drinking curfew is 11pm and we mean it. We’ll admit 9pm curfew wasn’t really serious. But strict compliance will be required this time. We’re being so kind to you to allow you to earn a living. 

This is the best way to control covid for sure. Even though the restaurants don’t have to close, but when they serve water after 11pm you can’t catch covid at all only if they serve alcohol. It’s worked everywhere! 

Be patient, this will all blow over shortly. 

Trust me :-) 

• Haha 1

I think a lot of bars restaurants were ignoring the curfew anyways.  It's time to just get rid of them all together. I'm sure the keystone cops have better things to do than run around trying to enforce them, which doesn't accomplish anything anyways. With omicron they don't even slow it down.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

As long as they're eateries and not drinkeries there's no problem 😴

The food apparently helps prevent the spread of covid somehow. 😒 

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

The food apparently helps prevent the spread of covid somehow. 😒 

The hot oil and spicy 🔥 chilies kills the virus! 

• Haha 1

Clockwork Covid! The evolutionary masterpiece, a virus able to read the clock! What an achievement! 

22:59 no infections, 23:00 virus activated and the game is on! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Cool 2

2 minutes ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Clockwork Covid! The evolutionary masterpiece, a virus able to read the clock! What an achievement! 

If you don't understand the (partially flawed) rationale behind a drinking curfew, then you don't understand Thailand.

9 hours ago, JJJ said:

True,everyone knows what a beast that virus is once it has had few beers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Now that Thailand’s alcohol curfew has been extended in many provinces, the government is on its toes about cracking down on venues serve past the 11pm cutoff time. A government spokesperson stated today that he wishes for authorities to take sharp measures against eateries violating the new 11pm curfew. Venues that break it will face arrests and loss of operating licenses. As of yesterday, venues that meet the Ministry of Tourism and Sports’ SHA certification, or the Public Health Ministry’s Thai Stop COVID 2 plus standard can serve alcohol until 11pm instead of 9pm in provinces classified as “blue” and […]

The story Government wants to closely monitor eateries following extension of alcohol curfew as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have difficulties understanding the purpose of this alcohol serving curfew and in consequence, the harsh penalties imposed on the eateries who are not in compliance.

It's not the alcohol that makes one more vulnerable to become infected. It's sitting close together indoors, irrespective if one drinks a softdrink or a beer.

But then again, this is in line with my inability to comprehend the rationale behind a number of measures devised in Thailand to combat the spreading of the virus. In a previous post I wrote that I have my own risk-based approach, which includes the avoidance of crowds, especially indoors. So whilst in TH now for 2 1/2 weeks, my wife and I have only been dining in the restaurants with open areas. With regards to Corona, I am glad I go back home tomorrow. No need anymore to produce a PCR-test before boarding, since we are both vaccinated 3x. Just need to fill in a digital entry form and produce the QR-code upon entering Switzerland. No need to run around with a mask all the time, no restrictions to buy alcohol, no curfews. Still, given that it is winter now and around 0°C, we will refrain from eating indoors in restaurants for the time being.

Happy we went here after 2 yrs and that made us swallow the paperwork to obtain the "Thai Pass", the need to stay on Phuket for seven instead of four days, the 14'000 THB we spent in total for testing, and all the other things. In my view, Thailand is not on the right path, and enforcing rules that do not appear to make much sense like this alcohol serving curfew is a perpetuation of this nonsense.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

True,everyone knows what a beast that virus is once it has had few beers. 

True. And it is common knowledge too that the virus only becomes active and really aggressive after 11 p.m..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

If you don't understand the (partially flawed) rationale behind a drinking curfew, then you don't understand Thailand.

You mean that there is scientific and empiric based evidence in Thailand that the consumption of alcohol facilitates the spreading of the virus?

It's not the alcohol, it's people sitting in close vicinity that are maskless and not fully vaccinated. That's the risk, not having water or alcohol in your glas. This is not Thailand-specific, this is true everywhere in world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samiam123 said:

I think a lot of bars restaurants were ignoring the curfew anyways.  It's time to just get rid of them all together. I'm sure the keystone cops have better things to do than run around trying to enforce them, which doesn't accomplish anything anyways. With omicron they don't even slow it down.

I agree take a few lic away today they will fall into line 

dec failure had a lot todo with farang and bars breaking rules 

move them on and let’s get the new Thailand going , less tourists less bums less bars 

I can live with all of this 

how clean does Pattaya look today 

9 hours ago, samiam123 said:

Yes, they have better things to do, like "run around" to collect enveloppes from the same venues they are supposed to punish...well they have allowed them to open in the first place. Where I am, quite a few bars are open, so music at the lowest level, somehow they look like they are not quite open although they clearly are, no food whatsoever... guess who give them the green light? Oh yes, they have to pay for it of course. But at the end of the day, no covid madness here, no people dying or badly sick, no difference whatsoever.

It makes me laugh when I see comments here about following the law regardless, even if it is the most stupid one ever like wearing a stupid mask alone on the beach in a country where the laws are made by unlawful leaders and the uniforms that are supposed to enforce them are not even following basic laws themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fundok said:

It's not the alcohol that makes one more vulnerable to become infected. It's sitting close together indoors, irrespective if one drinks a softdrink or a beer

Only partly true - alcohol does tend to make people talk louder, sit closer, lose inhibitions, become more feely-touchy, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, Fundok said:

You mean that there is scientific and empiric based evidence in Thailand that the consumption of alcohol facilitates the spreading of the virus?

It's not the alcohol, it's people sitting in close vicinity that are maskless and not fully vaccinated. That's the risk, not having water or alcohol in your glas. This is not Thailand-specific, this is true everywhere in world.

Well, yes there is pretty extensive "scientific and empiric based evidence" that when you open bars Covid spreads.

I doubt there have been many studies comparing bars selling only water with bars selling alcohol, though.

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Only partly true - alcohol does tend to make people talk louder, sit closer, lose inhibitions, become more feely-touchy, etc, etc.

Well, yes there is pretty extensive "scientific and empiric based evidence" that when you open bars Covid spreads.

I doubt there have been many studies comparing bars selling only water with bars selling alcohol, though.

Actually, in Germany they haven't found much evidence that people visiting restaurants attract the virus easier, rather to the contrary. With bars, different story. But then, and I probably did not express clearly enough, we talk about eateries being open at all. Once open - and this was the point I wanted to make - it doesn't matter anymore if there is an alcohol curfew in place or not, as the virus is active 24/7 and makes no difference if one consumes alcohol or not. 

No easy answers here. Since the political decision to let eateries open has been made, in consequence they should be allowed to serve alcoholic  beverages as they don't significantly increase the risk of getting infected. I for one would refrain for the time being from any venue where people sit closely together as this is the real driver.

7 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Yea, I agree that it's best to shut them down. At lease don't allow consumption of alcohol and no hostess.

I haven't actually seen any evidence yet that these rules were as a result of medical advice. In my country, restrictions are only introduced on the basis of medical advice from our chief medical officer in each state and nationally. So what's the basis for the restrictions Thai Authorities or province governors introduce?? Politicians get credibility when they are "following the medical advice". 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I haven't actually seen any evidence yet that these rules were as a result of medical advice. In my country, restrictions are only introduced on the basis of medical advice from our chief medical officer in each state and nationally. So what's the basis for the restrictions Thai Authorities or province governors introduce?? Politicians get credibility when they are "following the medical advice". 

In case you don't know, Thailand doesn't follow what is done in the UK. In fact Thailand has been many more times successful in dealing with covid and maybe the UK should look to Thailand as an example.

However, Thailand population is much more responsible in most areas (excluding touristy places) and people used to pitching in for a common good.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

In case you don't know, Thailand doesn't follow what is done in the UK. In fact Thailand has been many more times successful in dealing with covid and maybe the UK should look to Thailand as an example.

However, Thailand population is much more responsible in most areas (excluding touristy places) and people used to pitching in for a common good.

You haven't experienced Omicron yet.......

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yes but it “ spreads” much more, and with more serious effect, in bars & nightclubs & events & travel, between the unvaccinated. so get those anti-social thickos vaxxed or isolated rather than crash entire market sectors.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

19 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

Oops. I thought it was illegal or something to display a photo with the brand of beer in it. Maybe that’s just for ads?

Anyway, the government, er police are already cracking down on those not following rules. Are they actually gather statistics on Covid cases related to these busts? Just more pressure on everyone when the government doesn’t ever really know what to do next, except be in the news. 

You are correct. It is illegal