News Forum - Thailand’s FDA plans “Cannabis Sandbox” entry scheme for tourists

Thaiger

Someone please buy Tim a vowel!!  The reason I think marijuana, full strength, will be legalized is the tax revenues.  In these trying fiscal times, governments are desperate and, if for instance you check the budget of the US State of Colorado, you'll see the positive impact of ganja sales revenues on the public fisc.

• Cool 1

19 hours ago, Fundok said:

Sorry, but they are obviously NOT talking about high THC:

"Yes… we said cannabis. But don’t get too excited. When the government talks about cannabis, they mean parts of the plant with low (very low) traces of the psychoactive component THC."

So did I get anything wrong here? Don't think so.

Yes

16 hours ago, TommyT said:

This is article incorrect.  Only extracts with more than 0.2% will still  be illegal, not strong bud.

Its not explicit, but I think - reading between the lines - a medical marijuana exemption in "a zone" will exist, and "medical marijuana" with high THC level marijuana will be legalized, in that zone - maybe to someone carrying a card, etc? 

And tourists - suffering from insomnia and gloucoma, etc - will be able to be prescribed this herbal medicine in this zone. 

That's what I think is being hinted at. 

Wink wink. Just a guess. 

Thailand has a serious problem with drugs already. Control isn't possible here and corruption is systemic.

I just don't understand why the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Not that it matters, this is just Anutin delivering up a token of his political agenda to the party as he postures for PM candidacy, rather than a real benefit to the Thai people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Its not explicit, but I think - reading between the lines - a medical marijuana exemption in "a zone" will exist, and "medical marijuana" with high THC level marijuana will be legalized, in that zone - maybe to someone carrying a card, etc? 

And tourists - suffering from insomnia and gloucoma, etc - will be able to be prescribed this herbal medicine in this zone. 

That's what I think is being hinted at. 

Wink wink. Just a guess. 

It may be that someone inddeds secretly is installing a back door to establish also the production and distribution of cannabis with more than 0,2% THC whilst officially only low THC cannabis will be the allowed. Great way to generate extra income and bribes for special licences? 

3 minutes ago, Fundok said:

It may be that someone inddeds secretly is installing a back door to establish also the production and distribution of cannabis with more than 0,2% THC whilst officially only low THC cannabis will be the allowed. Great way to generate extra income and bribes for special licences? 

Something like that occurred to me. If low THC medical marijuana (of any percentage) was zone decriminalized / legalized it would make possession and usage impossible to enforce for almost any marijuana.

The presumption of legality would exist, and effort would need to be made that the card carrier (for legal low dose) wasn't infact smoking a high THC variety. 

It becomes a kind of "brown paper bag" in which to conceal your can of lager. 

Don't ask don't tell for weed.

But if they went full legal rec, they could license and tax. A lot more revenue.

As for bribes, I have no idea. 

20 hours ago, MuhRoads said:

For a country with "free" in the name, they sure like to control people for absolutely no good reason.

lol… if people wish to grow marijuana they must register first with the government. This will entail a license fee, of course, and taxes will be collected on any sales. It’s not about freedom, it’s about the money. Legalize prostitution? - the money. More Covid tests? - the money. Increase the daily minimum wage? - the money. 

4 minutes ago, Vince said:

Something like that occurred to me. If low THC medical marijuana (of any percentage) was zone decriminalized / legalized it would make possession and usage impossible to enforce for almost any marijuana.

The presumption of legality would exist, and effort would need to be made that the card carrier (for legal low dose) wasn't infact smoking a high THC variety. 

It becomes a kind of "brown paper bag" in which to conceal your can of lager. 

Don't ask don't tell for weed.

But if they went full legal rec, they could license and tax. A lot more revenue.

As for bribes, I have no idea. 

Regarding bribery, Thailand just went down some notches on the Transparency International index (not that it was anywhere near the top 50 anyway). So bribes to obtain licences, for not checking if the THC level does not exceed 0,2% etc would not be all that surprising for me.

38 minutes ago, Fundok said:

It may be that someone inddeds secretly is installing a back door to establish also the production and distribution of cannabis with more than 0,2% THC whilst officially only low THC cannabis will be the allowed. 

How do you grow marijuana with a THC content no greater than 0.2% ? You cannot easily and it would be useless except for making rope. A minimum THC content of 5-10% is required for medicinal purposes. Recreational is 15-20%. The current changes are focused on minimizing, rightly or wrongly, the perceived negative impacts of recreational marijuana usage in Thai society while adding the economic benefit of a new cash crop. I have little doubt that Thailand, with it’s tropical climate and large rainfall, will be pumping out high THC content marijuana in plant and medicinal form for legal export within a few years. It’s all about the money.

Edited by Fanta
Rationale

32 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Regarding bribery, Thailand just went down some notches on the Transparency International index (not that it was anywhere near the top 50 anyway). So bribes to obtain licences, for not checking if the THC level does not exceed 0,2% etc would not be all that surprising for me.

I'm glad you are willing to give them the presumption of guilt beforehand. 

I feel insinuating bribery and corruption for any/most/all actions by Thai officials is essentially a form of racism

Is it not possible that some - any - Thais themselves might dislike bribery and corruption? Even a little? 

That it punishes the impoverished or poorer Thai who can't grease the wheel to get things done or be promoted? 

That Thais may be embarrassed or ashamed by constant references to the corruption they cannot change? 

(These are all rhetorical questions, and off topic. So I'll leave it at that).