News Forum - Thailand’s FDA plans “Cannabis Sandbox” entry scheme for tourists

Thaiger

A “Cannabis Sandbox” entry scheme is being discussed to draw in marijuana enthusiasts from overseas. Yes… we said cannabis. But don’t get too excited. When the government talks about cannabis, they mean parts of the plant with low (very low) traces of the psychoactive component THC. The Thai Food and Drug Administration mentioned the idea of a “Cannabis Sandbox” for those entering Thailand from overseas, allowing travellers to roam freely in approved districts or provinces without undergoing a strict quarantine. In this case, cannabis products would be involved, just no joints or “happy brownies.” The government will have a public […]

The story Thailand’s FDA plans “Cannabis Sandbox” entry scheme for tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 3

I mean, I appreciate the open mindedness... but ain't no one coming here from overseas for weak weed products. The world of recreational weed has left THA in the rearview. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I mean, I appreciate the open mindedness... but ain't no one coming here from overseas for weak weed products. The world of recreational weed has left THA in the rearview. 

Right? I read this like, they could stay in their country and get high, or come to Thailand and get a hemp bracelet....image.png.ddf6e3ec8f8472823810140336a04770.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Scribble said:

Are they wanting to attract only 'quality stoners' or will any level of stoner be welcome?

Just marijuana dilettantes

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cabra said:

A very true point, then on the other hand it is a starting point 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

A “Cannabis Sandbox” entry scheme is being discussed to draw in marijuana enthusiasts from overseas. Yes… we said cannabis. But don’t get too excited. When the government talks about cannabis, they mean parts of the plant with low (very low) traces of the psychoactive component THC. The Thai Food and Drug Administration mentioned the idea of a “Cannabis Sandbox” for those entering Thailand from overseas, allowing travellers to roam freely in approved districts or provinces without undergoing a strict quarantine. In this case, cannabis products would be involved, just no joints or “happy brownies.” The government will have a public […]

The story Thailand’s FDA plans “Cannabis Sandbox” entry scheme for tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thank you Thailand we are now on the road towards legal usage of Cannabis....   Next let us hear the voices of the public..   Hopefully there will be a common voice in the rising from 0.2% in an upward manner of at least 8% - 15% THC..... Once again a big thank you to Thailand 

• Like 2

Gone from trying to get uber rich to drug tourists.

Boost local "tourism" though, every drug dealer will swamp these 'cannabis sandboxes'.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

I believe they are talking about allowing high THC bud for recreational use.  It would make no sense whatsoever to not allow that for recreational.

I don't like the idea of just Pattaya doing this.  The place would be overrun with backpackers if that happened.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Scribble said:

Are they wanting to attract only 'quality stoners' or will any level of stoner be welcome?

Anyone can apply but must stay in "Weed extra+" approved hotels during 1st week and fail drug test for THC on 1st AND 5th day of stay or be quarantined in "field hotbox"* (*unventilated 1968 Volkswagen filled with pot smoke). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Trying to lure people, thousands of miles away for a trip where they may be possibly detained in their hotel, so they can smoke or take edibles of less than 2% weed that won't even make them high????????????? Hahahhaa 5555, please retire the term "sandbox". It is a pejorative term. 

Pretty sure the black market is still making a killing with real weed, why doesn't A-Nut take a page from their gamebook?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, resetamy said:

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Trying to lure people, thousands of miles away for a trip where they may be possibly detained in their hotel, so they can

I was going to say "detained" was an exaggeration until I read hotels could be punished for bad guests who jump ship. 

Hotels will start detaining their guests. 

Welcome to your "Sha extra +"  detention center.

45 minutes ago, resetamy said:

8 hours ago, palooka said:

Gone from trying to get uber rich to drug tourists.

Boost local "tourism" though, every drug dealer will swamp these 'cannabis sandboxes'.

I'm guessing that there will be licensed pot vendors in the "Cannabis Act" mentioned under consideration. 

It would be money left on the table not to get a tax on rec cannabis growing and selling AND providing an adult "safe smoking sandbox" for.  

An island resort would make enforcement against black market vendors somewhat easier. Maybe? 

2 hours ago, resetamy said:

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Trying to lure people, thousands of miles away for a trip where they may be possibly detained in their hotel, so they can smoke or take edibles of less than 2% weed that won't even make them high????????????? Hahahhaa

I think the article mentions legalizing "real" high THC weed in so many words, after reading it again. 

And getting wasted in a hotel room watching Ren and Stimpy cartoons with Tom YUM Flavored Sugar Cereal Snaps wouldn't be the worst outcome 😋

2 hours ago, resetamy said:

5555, please retire the term "sandbox". It is a pejorative term. 

Pretty sure the black market is still making a killing with real weed, why doesn't A-Nut take a page from their gamebook?

If I read it right this IS an attempt to recapture the untaxed black market. 

Coming soon for tourist spokesman: Tommy Chong?

• Like 1

Whhhoh!!! Dude... 

“All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I’m fine.”

– Jeff Spicoli, ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’

Spicolli Fast Times At Ridgemont High.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My spontaneous reaction: what have those devising this "innovative" idea smoked themselves? 

So visitors are supposed to be lured to go to TH because they are allowed to NOT smoke the real stuff (containing THC in the usual concentration which is around 20%)? I am not into drugs, but if I were, this would about as trying to entice me to travel somewhere where my beer is diluted to 1/10 of the usual alcohol degree. Great idea. Thank you very, but I'd rather go elsewhere. And if I were into having a joint now and then, that'll be my reaction as well.

Side note: Germany will legalize Cannabis and Haschish soon. Maybe an honest discussion about this also in Thailand would make more sense than this weed sandbox. My personal view is (albeit not being a user of drugs): alcohol is legal, but comparable dangerous. So there are double standards here with regards to Marihuana and Hashish vis-a-vis alcohol. 

• Like 2

They are obviously talking about allowing high THC bud for recreational.  Some of the comment commandos here need to get a clue before beaking off about it.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, samiam123 said:

They are obviously talking about allowing high THC bud for recreational.  Some of the comment commandos here need to get a clue before beaking off about it.

Well said. Not sure why people are parsing words over statements concerning this. Clearly the govt intend to legalize recreational use ASAP. Why? I think it's mainly keeping up with the Joneses after the US and Europe legalized its use. Also political reasons - they think it will be a valuable cash crop for struggling farmers. Plus the potential boon to stoner tourists and the sector in general.

This article was interesting.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/high-spirits-thai-stoners-celebrate-legal-weed-smoking-photos/?fbclid=IwAR1-cvGaJNEKvs0Wigsd6Bi-MXDFO_bMYPX9sWC6VPQg3M18ZlnmzPVvwZU

• Like 1

5 hours ago, samiam123 said:

Sorry, but they are obviously NOT talking about high THC:

"Yes… we said cannabis. But don’t get too excited. When the government talks about cannabis, they mean parts of the plant with low (very low) traces of the psychoactive component THC."

So did I get anything wrong here? Don't think so.

9 hours ago, samiam123 said:

I believe they are talking about allowing high THC bud for recreational use.  It would make no sense whatsoever to not allow that for recreational.

I don't like the idea of just Pattaya doing this.  The place would be overrun with backpackers if that happened.

I am afraid this is not what the government contemplates:

"Yes… we said cannabis. But don’t get too excited. When the government talks about cannabis, they mean parts of the plant with low (very low) traces of the psychoactive component THC."

Does this sound like allowing high THC cannabis to you?