News Forum - Survival Guide: Beware of these common scams in Thailand

Thaiger

Who wouldn’t like to visit Thailand? It’s warm, affordable and has everything you want, from exotic beaches with beautiful women and national parks full of wildlife, to the exciting nightlife of Bangkok’s concrete jungle. Most Thais are typically friendly and helpful, but there are some who like to take advantage of foreign tourists for their own benefit, especially ‘farang,’ or white Westerners. So you know what to look out for, we’ve made a list of the common scams here in Thailand. Taxi & Tuk Tuk Scams This is the most common scam in the country. Most taxi drivers will claim […]

The story Survival Guide: Beware of these common scams in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Ha!

Thai scammers are incredibly stupid!

As soon as I receive my 15 million dollars from the illegitimate son of the previous PM of Nigeria, I'll teach those idiots a thing or two!

Stupid, stupid people!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jet ski scams, and rigged taxi meters as well. Got caught by a rigged meter scam a few years back, going from the airport to lower Sukhumvit - at first the driver didn't switch the meter on and asked for 600 baht instead, then when I insisted on the meter I could see quite soon that it was running much too fast. I paid up rather getting confrontational about it, but made sure he saw me take a photo of his number plate. 

• Like 1

The only time I got scammed, if you want to call it that was of course in Phuket.  In Patong you have tons of travel stalls everywhere.  I booked for trip to Koh Lanta which was supposed to be a shuttle pickup from my hotel to the ferry station and the ferry from there directly to Koh Lanta.  Instead, I was driven the whole way there which took like 6 hours, it was a brutal but beautiful drive.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Who wouldn’t like to visit Thailand? It’s warm, affordable and has everything you want, from exotic beaches with beautiful women and national parks full of wildlife, to the exciting nightlife of Bangkok’s concrete jungle. Most Thais are typically friendly and helpful, but there are some who like to take advantage of foreign tourists for their own benefit, especially ‘farang,’ or white Westerners. So you know what to look out for, we’ve made a list of the common scams here in Thailand. Taxi & Tuk Tuk Scams This is the most common scam in the country. Most taxi drivers will claim […]

The story Survival Guide: Beware of these common scams in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"This is the most common scam in the country. Most taxi drivers will claim that the meter is broken and you have to pay them at a ridiculous rate, just because you’re a foreigner"

That's weird, I never had a single broken meter when I was there. They must have all gotten fixed.

I had many drivers refuse to use the meter. Some with no reason, some because of "too much traffic". 

As someone who have driven in a city with bad traffic, I understood the argument as "it's not worth it to me to drive you through hellish traffic at meter rates." 

This was an invitation to haggle. Since I was taking the same route multiple times I actually had an idea of how much it "should cost" at a meter rate, and would make a counter offer to their asking rate. 

It was usually not absurd, but it amounted to a negotiated tip up front, in effect. 

I didn't feel "scammed"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Jet ski scams, and rigged taxi meters as well. Got caught by a rigged meter scam a few years back, going from the airport to lower Sukhumvit - at first the driver didn't switch the meter on and asked for 600 baht instead, then when I insisted on the meter I could see quite soon that it was running much too fast. I paid up rather getting confrontational about it, but made sure he saw me take a photo of his number plate. 

So you refused to haggle, he agreed to the meter and you then - based on your perfect timing analysis and gut hunch - assessed it was moving too quickly and concluded this was "rigged"? 

And this was for 600 THB / 25 AUD for a distance of ...?

35 minutes ago, Saunk said:

The only time I got scammed, if you want to call it that was of course in Phuket.  In Patong you have tons of travel stalls everywhere.  I booked for trip to Koh Lanta which was supposed to be a shuttle pickup from my hotel to the ferry station and the ferry from there directly to Koh Lanta.  Instead, I was driven the whole way there which took like 6 hours, it was a brutal but beautiful drive.  

So the ferry was closed, and you had a shuttle instead, and that was ... a scam? 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

So you refused to haggle, he agreed to the meter and you then - based on your perfect timing analysis and gut hunch - assessed it was moving too quickly and concluded this was "rigged"? 

And this was for 600 THB / 25 AUD for a distance of ...?

I had done the same journey a couple weeks before - same time of day, same traffic, and it came in at around 220 + tolls, the meter in this taxi was showing well over 400 by the time I reached the hotel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grumpish said:

I had done the same journey a couple weeks before - same time of day, same traffic, and it came in at around 220 + tolls, the meter in this taxi was showing well over 400 by the time I reached the hotel. 

So then his offer to haggle - which you declined - was an attempt to save you from the 'rigged meter'? 

And if you knew the approximate cost why not just offer it instead of insisting on a meter? 

Hi

Excellent article, and yes we all need to be careful, scams are in every part of the world. 

so long as you keep you eyes open, and decide how far you will go along with things, you’ll be fine. 

You mention a no-no re tailor scams. Tbh, through a very cheap tuk tuk, I found a fantastic tailor who made me some awesome made to measure shirts - I wouldn’t have found those otherwise. The quality is awesome and the price was way less than I would normally have paid. 

And I think that’s the point, people visiting Thailand aren’t particularly interested in screwing value for money right into the ground - things are already much cheaper than at home. So what I would say, don’t get all hung up on this. Decide what you want, keep your eyes open, and just do it 😎

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vince said:

That's weird, I never had a single broken meter when I was there. They must have all gotten fixed.I

This scam is common enough for first time visitors especially with taxis parked all day in front of a hotel. My neighbor went to Thailand for a 2 week holiday. She had the taxis with broken meters, bought the “cheap” jewelery, had some dresses made at a clothes shop recommended by a lovely TukTuk driver but was disappointed that some of the temples were closed. She was none the wiser and had a great time. I didn’t tell her as that was her first and last trip to Asia.

Edited by Fanta
Typo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

This scam is common enough for first time visitors especially with taxis parked all day in front of a hotel. My neighbor went to

I read about hailing taxis mid-street as a way to get more legitimate taxis, and avoid idling taxis, and would do so when possible. 

I am also willing to haggle. I've seen Monty Python's Life of Brian ("600 THB for this? You must be mad!"). 

2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Thailand for a 2 week holiday. She had the taxis with broken meters, bought the “cheap” jewelery, had some dresses made at a clothes shop recommended by a lovely TukTuk driver but was disappointed that some of the temples were closed. She was none the wiser and had a great time. I didn’t tell her as that was her first and last trip to Asia.

Funny. 

8 hours ago, Vince said:

So then his offer to haggle - which you declined - was an attempt to save you from the 'rigged meter'? 

And if you knew the approximate cost why not just offer it instead of insisting on a meter? 

Come on @Vince. What’s your point here overall? In the past few days you have jumped on just about every and any comment which highlights or calls out bad behaviour in Thailand. No one is saying these things don’t happen in other countries and in some far worse. But this is a forum for views and options on Thailand. I suspect we have seen you before on this forum but under another named account. Give it a rest please and let people get some airtime. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Come on @Vince. What’s your point here overall? In the past few days you have jumped on just about every and any comment which highlights or calls out bad behaviour in Thailand. No one is

I think Thailand has lots of problems. Crime, pollution, corruption, you name it. It's not a paradise. But a) they're largely not Thai problems, but problems everywhere, but characterized as Thai.

See my topic on this very issue:

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/10500-dual-pricing-is-not-racism-or-why-phuket-is-still-not-ripping-people-off/#comment-148920

b) the complainer is sometimes actively a part of the problem. Thai prices aren't like McDonald's prices (usually). Haggling is acceptable, and reacting to a high ask as "racism" or "a rip off" is ... slightly non-optimal. slightly.

saying these things don’t happen in other countries and in some far worse. But this is a forum for views and options on Thailand. I suspect

I am providing my opinions. I think the FG say something about respectful "vigorous debate". I'm providing it. Report me if I'm breaking the FG. Please!

Are you saying this is a place where people can misconstrue Thai (or any) behavior as "a scam" and not have anyone disagree? That's news to me. 

we have seen you before on this forum but under another named account. Give it a rest please and let people get some airtime. 

Lol. Really? I'm a sockpuppet for another old user?

The admins can see my IP and you can do a word analysis or two against my posts against this other poster. I'm pretty sure you'll find my nonsense is unique ;-) 

Enjoy. 

25 minutes ago, Vince said:

I think Thailand has lots of problems. Crime, pollution, corruption, you name it. It's not a paradise. But a) they're largely not Thai problems, but problems everywhere, but characterized as Thai.

See my topic on this very issue:

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/10500-dual-pricing-is-not-racism-or-why-phuket-is-still-not-ripping-people-off/#comment-148920

b) the complainer is sometimes actively a part of the problem. Thai prices aren't like McDonald's prices (usually). Haggling is acceptable, and reacting to a high ask as "racism" or "a rip off" is ... slightly non-optimal. slightly.

I am providing my opinions. I think the FG say something about respectful "vigorous debate". I'm providing it. Report me if I'm breaking the FG. Please!

Are you saying this is a place where people can misconstrue Thai (or any) behavior as "a scam" and not have anyone disagree? That's news to me. 

Lol. Really? I'm a sockpuppet for another old user?

The admins can see my IP and you can do a word analysis or two against my posts against this other poster. I'm pretty sure you'll find my nonsense is unique ;-) 

Enjoy. 

Fair enough Vince. You are no fool and hence I will assume you understand my point. Please remember that many people who complain or criticise daily behaviours seen across the world and characterise them as Thai, are simply doing so as they live here and see Thais doing these things. Many of the scams, poor driving, seemingly illogical actions, obsession with luck and fortune are displayed around the world. But this is a Thai forum. People can not be expected to caveat their comments about a taxi driver trying to scam them by always adding that it happens elsewhere. It’s also worth remembering that Thailand has an international reputation for having high levels of corruption. Relative to where many forum members come from, it’s often hard to deal with and accept as a way if operating. People are letting off steam. Is it your role or aim of being on this forum to always pick them up on such comments. Do you see yourself as the arbiter of justice.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Fair enough Vince. You are no fool and hence I will assume you understand my point. Please remember that many people who complain or criticise daily behaviours seen across the world and characterise them as Thai, are simply doing so as they live here and see Thais doing these things. Many of the scams, poor driving, seemingly illogical actions, obsession with luck and fortune are displayed around the world. But this is a Thai forum. People can not be expected to caveat their comments about a taxi driver trying to scam them by always adding that it happens elsewhere. It’s also worth remembering that Thailand has an international reputation for having high levels of corruption. Relative to where many forum members come from, it’s often hard to deal with and accept as a way if operating. People are letting off steam. Is it your role or aim of being on this forum to always pick them up on such comments. Do you see yourself as the arbiter of justice.  

There are people that do bad things...everywhere in the world.  Living in Thailand is no different.   You're not in Kansas anymore so complain to your co-expats over beers not on social media.  lol

• Like 1

Another scam not covered in the article is the Erawan Shrine scam. There are many stall outside of the shrine's compound that will lure those who are going to worship/pay respect to Phra Phrom by pretending to give them free incense and then offer to sell additional praying materials (flower garlands, cigars) at exorbitant prices. When the devotees try to reject these high priced items they will then resort to scare tactics saying that the lord Phra Phrom will curse those who are stingy to part with their money for those items. They will sell flower garlands for 500-1000 baht when the same one can be bought inside the compound (there's an official stall) for just 40-50 baht.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

More high sounding advice from the know it all. He's a permanent fixture in the south but rely on border runs instead of getting the right visa. He complains about covid rules, but in reality is he can't do long term visas. In the past he's claimed business interests but obviously no work permit. Now your on his target list, welcome. 

I will give him good grades on writing style, but not so on content.

You can get scammed in the most uncorrupt countries as well. The methods are of course much discreet and better thought out. Thailand is just raw and outright sloppy. Just be vigilant and keep your wallet tight